Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,376 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!! Sorry, I know this type of post has been here before, but I can't seem to find the type of advice I'm looking for, so I hope someone can help me out =]. I will be moving to NC for 6 months to study for an exam, and was looking for thoughts/experiences with these two cities. Pretty much, I would love to know which one seems to have more going on in terms of outdoor adventures/walkability. I love hiking, but I also love the beach. Does anyone have any thoughts on what place seems more accessible for outdoor activities? I'm a runner, I have a puppy, and I really just am looking for a place for the next few months that will afford me the opportunity to get outside, run, explore, and stop studying for a bit.

If you read this scatterbrained post, you are a hero. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!!

--Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 01:26 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaniganshannala View Post
I will be moving to NC for 6 months to study for an exam, and was looking for thoughts/experiences with these two cities. Pretty much, I would love to know which one seems to have more going on in terms of outdoor adventures/walkability. I love hiking, but I also love the beach.
I would vote for Asheville in terms of the walkability to interesting places restaurants and brewpubs, also for more challenging hikes.

However, it also depends on what season of the year you plan to be in North Carolina. Wilmington is flat and humid, and very uncomfortable in the summer. (That is, unless you plan to spend the whole summer on the beach.) Asheville summers are more comfortable in town.

Also factor in the cost of a short-term rental. It would be easy to find a short-term rental in a beach town during the winter, but prohibitive during the summer.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:27 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
If you research availability and cost of short-term rentals that allow dogs in both cities, it might make your decision for you... aside from your other criteria. I think your options in Asheville would be limited and expensive, but have no knowledge of the rental market in Wilmington.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:28 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
If you research availability and cost of short-term rentals that allow dogs in both cities, it might make your decision for you... aside from your other criteria. I think your options in Asheville would be limited and expensive, but have no knowledge of the rental market in Wilmington.
Generally, at least by North Carolina standards, short term rentals in Wilmington and Asheville will be expensive and a landlord's market because there are so many people who have similar interests and wish lists as the OP (compared to if the OP were looking to move to the Triad or Hickory or Goldsboro, etc.), but of course, that's all relative. If the OP is coming from a very expensive area, high cost for NC may not seem expensive at all.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:42 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Just my opinion here...but if I had the "choice" of where to live for the short term between Asheville and Wilmington....Wilmington would win hands down.

The nightlife is really good with a fully functioning riverfront and historic district. There are two fun beach towns within a cab ride. There are all kinds of festivals, plenty of young people (UNCW) to meet and much nice weather.

I'm not railing on Asheville, but c'mon really? They have a great brewery set-up (but Wilmington has some too). They have great hiking (but honestly most of the mountains look the same). In Wilmington you can take your dog on the beach in the offseason and you can have them anytime on a leash.

Cost may be an issue, but its short term. You may be able to find a short term sub-lease in the Historic District of Wilmington and be able to walk everywhere. The RiverWalk downtown is reported to be the longest on the East Coast now. Theaters within walking distance including the new CFCC performing arts center which is bringing in national acts...had Grace Potter last week, Jewel next month.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
money will go farther in wilmington asheville is getting played out and everyone and their brother wants to be there

if you're rich asheville
if you're a earthy hippy ashevile

Old 02-04-2016, 08:42 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
you need to know you can deal with southern humidity tho

its not a big deal you just need to tolerate being sweaty sometimes

Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,376 times
Ahh, your responses were all awesome. Thanks so much everyone. @HP91, you pretty much hit everything for me, I really appreciate it. And @hey_guy, I'm from Tampa so definitely understand the humidity thing. One day, I hope to escape it.
Definitely found better prices for rentals in Wilmington and I really am leaning towards it now.
But seriously, thanks everyone!!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:15 AM

20 posts, read 24,965 times
Default No dogs on the beach

Some great answers here. Just want to add that during tourist season, dogs are not allowed on any of the local beaches in the Wilmington area. So while you're studying at the beach, your dog will be alone at home.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:22 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Try Hendersonville instead of Asheville and Morehead City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina