Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 09:56 PM

50 posts, read 169,001 times

Advertisements

are there any nice areas in eastern NC to the coast? my husband was offed a position in outside sales position over the eastern part of NC to the right of I-95 and above 264. We are looking for somewhere to raise a family with great schools, $250-300K for a house and a town that has shops/restaurants but maintain a small town feel. After reading posts about eastern NC being the worst place to live in NC I am feeling depressed and hesitant. We feel like my husband's job is too good to pass up and need an idea on where to live. We are from the Dallas-Fort Worth area in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 06:35 AM

46 posts, read 211,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc0607 View Post
are there any nice areas in eastern NC to the coast? my husband was offed a position in outside sales position over the eastern part of NC to the right of I-95 and above 264. We are looking for somewhere to raise a family with great schools, $250-300K for a house and a town that has shops/restaurants but maintain a small town feel. After reading posts about eastern NC being the worst place to live in NC I am feeling depressed and hesitant. We feel like my husband's job is too good to pass up and need an idea on where to live. We are from the Dallas-Fort Worth area in Texas.
North of 264 and East of I-95 is pretty slim pickings. How close to the coast do you want to be? Washington might be your best choice (about 10,000 pop.). There are ZERO good public school systems in this part of the state that I am aware of. Greenville (pop. 75,000+ and exploding) is the "STAR" of this part of Eastern NC (which is the equivalent of the being the prettiest hog in the hog pen). However Greenville is not a great family town. It is a college town with lots of partying, drugs and crime. It is not a great place to raise a family. It does offer the best shopping & restaurants in the region (although chain stores and chain restaurants dominate -- there are very few independent stores and eateries). (For example there is only 1 bookstore in the whole place -- a so-so Barnes & Noble -- the Barnes & Noble stores in Raleigh & Durham are 10 times better, heck even the Books A Million in New Bern is better than the B&N in Greenville).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina