Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 01:48 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Not just hoops...Cary hosted the NCAA womens soccer Final 4 last year. Had about 10K per game.

Wonder if it would affect the host seeds of the NCAA baseball tournament.
Football, too. Belk Bowl in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 01:53 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
They are not going to cancel all these events, especially a bowl. I think protest, etc are fine but not until huge investments are made to shift the political makeup of the GA and gubnorship, it's business as usual.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:31 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Interesting that the NCAA would have an opinion on a topic like this, given their own pimping for the ruthless exploitation of college athletes in revenue sports.
Let's stick to one topic at hand. And being wrong with one thing doesn't automatically exclude an organization from taking a stand with a different topic. That is just a lazy and dumb attempt at a counterpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Interestingly enough, South Carolina seems to have survived just fine.

As for basketball: what would be the downside? No more swarms of ill-mannered people flooding in to see goons (sorry, "student athletes") stuff a ball through a hoop?
Did they really? Charleston wanted a bowl game, but wasn't able to because of that ban.

And you obviously have some other agenda with sporting events that doesn't really matter to this matter.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:40 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
UNC and Duke will no longer get to have home cooking most every year in the tournament now...forcing them to travel further away would lead to less of a home court advantage in their games...no more UNC getting to play 10 miles from campus in Raleigh.
Wonder if your GA would have acted so quickly if they knew this would effect the Tar Heels and Blue Devils in future tournaments?

Old 05-04-2016, 04:04 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Let's stick to one topic at hand. And being wrong with one thing doesn't automatically exclude an organization from taking a stand with a different topic. That is just a lazy and dumb attempt at a counterpoint.
Never mind that for years the relationship between the NCAA and the academic community has often been one of mutual loathing. I remember when an ACC football coach had a full professor of mathematics literally arrested, on campus, for not obeying his dictates.

Quote:
And you obviously have some other agenda with sporting events that doesn't really matter to this matter.
Have you ever taught a "student athlete"? I have no objection at all to amateur athletics. What I object to is the swindling of goons, masquerading as students, some even illiterate, to play without compensation in revenue-producing sports. The NCAA -- now the darling of the PC crowd for an instant -- is exactly the organization behind this. A cynic might suspect that the NCAA is mucking about in this mess solely to try to redeem itself with the righteous.

Quote:

Did they really? Charleston wanted a bowl game, but wasn't able to because of that ban.
No, Charleston didn't want a bowl game. Certain commercial interests in Charleston did. And yes, Charleston survived this matter quite nicely. I've been there recently, and found it to be completely intact and prospering quite well, thank you.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:16 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
SC was banned for 30 years because of the Confederate flag at the capitol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Not just hoops...Cary hosted the NCAA womens soccer Final 4 last year. Had about 10K per game.

Wonder if it would affect the host seeds of the NCAA baseball tournament.
It does affect baseball and softball. At least it did in SC. Even when their teams were high enough ranked to host games, they still played at the other teams site.

Now, from how I read the NCAA ruling, it seems there is some room to host events still, they just have to put a plan into place. Since HB2 really only applies the bathroom part to publicly owned facilities, I guess Duke could do what they want and still host baseball assuming they ever had a good enough team, but State and Carolina couldn't. I'm not sure of the ownership of the arena in Charlotte. I know PNC in Raleigh is owned by the Centennial Authority which I assume is related enough to th state it's not a possibility. USA Baseball Owned by Cary so maybe? Something similar at WakeMed soccer park I assume.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:18 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,011 times
McCrory will not be re-elected. He's a one-term deal. NC is crazy about basketball.

I shudder at the thought of what would happen if this was happening in Kentucky...

Old 05-05-2016, 06:56 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,269 times
Nobody cares about the NCAA. Just another pawn of ESPN.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:39 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Nobody cares about the NCAA. Just another pawn of ESPN.
You must be kidding.

I'm not even sure ESPN even has a single contract with the NCAA. CBS and Turner on the other hand.

And either way, it is money that could be made here that will not at events that a good number of people do enjoy going to but now won't be able to, unless the law is changed. And it's not arena or NC State or whatever. There are hundreds of people that work those games and make money. The last couple times, they have had 7-8 food trucks there at various times. Those are all small business owners missing out on money that would go right back to the community.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That also is false rumor like the many others that have been circulating including the numerous claims that HB2 is a discrimination bill which it is not, it actually provides broader non-discrimination than the federal civil rights act.

Here is the quote
HB2 cleverly disguises its discrimination through omission. HB2 creates statewide human rights for most and simultaneously excludes and prevents LGBT citizens from obtaining the same human rights via any other mechanism other than from the state that already excluded them.
If one can't see the discrimination in this action, then I don't know what to say.
https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/th...172020141.html
Essentially, HB2 can be theoretically (and we'll see if practically) used as a religious freedom adjacent law since ones religious beliefs are protected statewide while ones sexual orientation or identity is not. So, it's not a stretch for someone to use the law to deny services to LGBT citizens (who, again, don't have the protection of the state), citing their own protection of the state for their denial of those services.

As for the Federal Civil Rights act, it does not prevent states and local communities from going beyond it in the way that HB2 prevents at the local level. Democrats would like to expand the Federal law but it will go nowhere with the current makeup of the Congress. They blew their opportunity to do so between 2009-2011 when they controlled the entire government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina