Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:39 AM

764 posts, read 508,914 times

Advertisements

"Mining towns tend to remain prosperous forever", this brings up two things, the first, I'm an IT guy (full stack programmer) looking for some quick gigs, not a full time job, what sort of IT service can I provide to them? And the second one, well, mining towns would likely come with manufacturers, like turning copper ore into copper, then it's a copper manufacturer, right? And manufacturers want to sell more... so, their sales team may want some help, say, a useful quote system...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
"Mining towns tend to remain prosperous forever", this brings up two things, the first, I'm an IT guy (full stack programmer) looking for some quick gigs, not a full time job, what sort of IT service can I provide to them? And the second one, well, mining towns would likely come with manufacturers, like turning copper ore into copper, then it's a copper manufacturer, right? And manufacturers want to sell more... so, their sales team may want some help, say, a useful quote system...
Well, no. That post was sarcastic.

I live in a town where they mine mica, among other minerals. They mine the mica here & it's sent elsewhere to be processed.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:57 PM

530 posts, read 637,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

BTW, Duke is a well known university, but it's certainly not one of the two most important things in the Triangle, nor even the most important university in the Triangle. It is relatively small compared to NC State and UNC.

While Duke has much fewer undergraduate students compared to UNC or NC State, that is only one comparison. All three have roughly equal amounts of graduate and professional students and more importantly there are 36k(!) people who work at Duke University/Duke Health Center. By comparison NC state has about 7,600 people it employs. It is by far the largest employer in the city of Durham and easily one of the most important things in the triangle I'd say.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:19 PM

" there are 36k(!) people who work at Duke University/Duke Health Center. ", maybe I'm different from the crowd (in a neutral way, no self congrats or self depreciating), in this day and age, why 99% of employers insists on full time job or no job. For certain jobs, warm bodies have to be there... for instance, for a hospital, doc has to be there or at least for now for over 95% of the situation but when it comes down to IT, they either outsource to India for cheap at lower quality or unwilling to provide consulting opportunities to qualified American IT professionals, it drives me nuts!

Old 05-09-2016, 03:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
While Duke has much fewer undergraduate students compared to UNC or NC State, that is only one comparison. All three have roughly equal amounts of graduate and professional students and more importantly there are 36k(!) people who work at Duke University/Duke Health Center. By comparison NC state has about 7,600 people it employs. It is by far the largest employer in the city of Durham and easily one of the most important things in the triangle I'd say.
According to the UNC Health Care Annual Report there are 30,000 people employed by UNC Healthcare, plus 12,000 faculty and staff at the University, for 42,000, making UNC a bigger employer than Duke.

I disagree that Duke by itself is one of the two most important things in the Triangle. I could see a case that higher education in general is or that healthcare (including pharma and biotech at the park) is, but not just Duke by itself. If we're talking top 10 maybe, but not #1 and #2, which is what the OP asked.

One of the top two would have to be that Raleigh is the state capital where, for better or worse, laws are passed by the General Assembly and signed by the governor <insert phrase of your choice here>.

I'd also put higher education in general (including, but not limited to Duke, UNC, and NC State), healthcare, and Research Triangle Park up there.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, no. That post was sarcastic.

I live in a town where they mine mica, among other minerals. They mine the mica here & it's sent elsewhere to be processed.
Thanks for the note, but mining towns eliminated for my purpose for wikipedia just informed me that, for mineral production, China #1, US #2, I can't add value in this space...

Old 05-10-2016, 04:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm a fairly new resident of NC (moved from VA) and would like to learn more about most of the counties in NC, so, for those of you folks who are long time residents... tell me about some of the top stuff or unique things in each county. For instance, for Raleigh/Durham, some may argue, Duke University...
There are 100 counties; I don't believe anybody is going to enumerate 200 items for such a list. Some counties in NC don't have much going for them, sorry to say.

Maybe you could name 5-10 counties you're most interested in, for starters? Or go to the websites of every county and come back with questions from what you've read.

PS, "Raleigh/Durham" is not a county--it's two cities in two different counties.

Quote:
Poppydog, yes and no, I need similar unique attributes for about a dozen states, so, I can't afford time to get into too much details of each state. Purpose is to see if there's some good business opportunities (I'll be a match maker) and there might be another side benefit.
You "can't afford time" so you come here asking us to take the time to enumerate the benefits of each of 100 counties?

Quote:
If you're looking for mining, you picked the wrong state. Try the Rockies.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There are 100 counties; I don't believe anybody is going to enumerate 200 items for such a list. Some counties in NC don't have much going for them, sorry to say.

Maybe you could name 5-10 counties you're most interested in, for starters? Or go to the websites of every county and come back with questions from what you've read.

PS, "Raleigh/Durham" is not a county--it's two cities in two different counties.

You "can't afford time" so you come here asking us to take the time to enumerate the benefits of each of 100 counties?

If you're looking for mining, you picked the wrong state. Try the Rockies.
Francois [NC native], thanks for your input. Here's the deal. The exact purpose of what I'm trying to get with the question (my attempt at crowd-sourcing of relevant info). I intend to make a trip covering several states starting from NC (I'm currently in Wilmington), and would love to get some gigs along the way. So, the thought is, finding out as much potent info about counties/cities/metros along the way first (my route can be flexible), and then see if my skills can add value to some of these "places", then contact relevant parties... if need and chemistry exists... great, I'll stop by and meet them in person and discuss and then I'll provide some service to them and make some money. I know it's unconventional...

Old 05-10-2016, 08:20 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
He's trying to get us to help him with his business plan. No thanks.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:05 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Francois [NC native], thanks for your input. Here's the deal. The exact purpose of what I'm trying to get with the question (my attempt at crowd-sourcing of relevant info). I intend to make a trip covering several states starting from NC (I'm currently in Wilmington), and would love to get some gigs along the way. So, the thought is, finding out as much potent info about counties/cities/metros along the way first (my route can be flexible), and then see if my skills can add value to some of these "places", then contact relevant parties... if need and chemistry exists... great, I'll stop by and meet them in person and discuss and then I'll provide some service to them and make some money. I know it's unconventional...
I have to ask...would the reason that need to use your skills to leverage a market and make some extra $$$ happen to be that you're a chemistry teacher who was recently diagnosed with cancer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina