Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 07:16 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people just starting to think about the election. The current GA and Governor have a chance to be flipped as people find out they are being taxed at rates higher then before and having less being done.

The failure to protect drinking water is coming up as a big issue.

The GOP ran on lowering taxes in the past and the following has happened. The only group seeing any benefit from the flat tax is the top 1%. All the rest of us pay more in taxes then before. There are higher taxes and fees (GOP for taxes) on everyday items, food, clothes, cell phones,internet, car registration and labor costs on services performed. Property taxes are going up as well as Real Estate taxes (with the "they are staying the same because of lower values"). We had to pass a bond issue to do regular maintenance on school and public infrastructure. They like to claim that its OK because it just replaces current bond issues which were about to expire. Well what is wrong with retiring debt? The GOP forced the state to extend that debt. If the old tax system was in place there would not have been an issue as current levels of income would have led to larger surplus and more infrastructure issues to be taken care of.

They have created a mess of the Medicaid issue by not taking the expansion. We have had hospitals close in rural areas of the state.

Over all the GOP has hurt the state more then helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:27 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
I don't know about the other races, but I think Cooper will win in a tight race and Trump will narrowly win NC. Democratic turnout would have to be pretty high like it was in 2008 in order for Hillary to win NC. It might be high enough for Cooper to win, but I'm not too sure it'll be high enough for Hillary to win. I don't see the same energetic turnout happening for Hillary like it did for Obama in 2008. At the risk of getting flamed, I think Sanders would've stood a better chance of winning NC than Hillary does. Sanders doesn't seem to have the same unpopular stigma that Hillary has. But I digress...

Old 06-21-2016, 08:22 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,988 times
Hillary by and landslide. Don't even know how this is a question lol

Old 06-21-2016, 08:45 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Excluding the 2008 United States presidential election, North Carolina has leaned Republican. Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee have consistently leaned Republican. Virginia has leaned Democratic since the 2008 election. I think North Carolina will continue to lean Republican in the 2016 election.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:25 AM

175 posts, read 204,562 times
I have an awful gut feeling that a Trump victory in NC would lead to a McCrory win also. I don't understand why on earth that Gubernatorial race would even be anywhere close to how tight it seems right now. What do you all think would cause NC to lean Democrat this time?

Old 06-21-2016, 10:36 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Hillary by and landslide. Don't even know how this is a question lol
For nc though? Hillary may well win NC, but it's doubtful it'll be by a landslide. Maybe you mean for the overall election.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:46 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
For nc though? Hillary may well win NC, but it's doubtful it'll be by a landslide. Maybe you mean for the overall election.
I do not see how North Carolina can elect Hillary Clinton. What happened under Bill's presidency? The tobacco industry was attacked. Textile jobs were exported from the state. Are those positives for job growth and economic opportunities?

Old 06-21-2016, 11:12 AM

605 posts, read 805,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not see how North Carolina can elect Hillary Clinton. What happened under Bill's presidency? The tobacco industry was attacked. Textile jobs were exported from the state. Are those positives for job growth and economic opportunities?
But... The alternative is Donald Trump.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:28 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
But... The alternative is Donald Trump.
But . . .the alternative to Trump is Clinton.

I hope that many people will just abstain from voting for either of these reprehensible, loathsome, despicable, white-collar criminals, or perhaps write-in someone with acceptable ethics.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:28 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Tobacco and Textiles were on the hit list long before the Clinton's showed up. The tobacco industry ends up killing people, Who's for continuing that? Textile jobs were originally "exported" from more expensive northern states and now NC finds them exported to China, India and Vietnam ...places with much cheaper labor costs. It's time North Carolina finds more industries that are high paying and not easily exportable.

I can't wait for November to come so I can try to get rid of McCrory, Cherie Berry and my own congressional representative, Richard Hudson (Attilla the Hun Jr.), whose tea party rantings make me want to vomit!

While I'd rather have Bernie Sanders than Hillary, I'll take her over the Donald!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina