Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
That is not actually what his job description says. His office has the right and responsibility to examine the legality of EVERYTHING that happens in the state within the scope of ALL the laws in the country. The Atty General is NOT required to defend a law he has determined to be untenable or unjust.

I didn't realize we were allowing officials to recuse themselves when they disagree with the law now. Does that apply to county clerks as well, or only Roy Cooper specifically?

Last edited by vulfpeck; 07-11-2016 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 01:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
I didn't realize we were allowing officials to recuse themselves when they disagree with the law now. Does that apply to county clerks as well, or only Roy Cooper specifically?
If state law attempts to circumvent federal law, the attorney general is supposed to uphold federal law, as federal law trumps state law.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
If state law attempts to circumvent federal law, the attorney general is supposed to uphold federal law, as federal law trumps state law.

Likewise, Kim Davis may have argued her constitutional rights were violated when she was required to perform duties in conflict with her religious principles. It's a slippery slope when you let people circumvent the court system and proceed based on what they think should be the law instead of what it actually is.

Since HB2 has not been ruled on in federal courts, Roy Cooper refused to do his job based on his own personal opinions. If you're OK with that, then you should be cool with Kim Davis taking the same stand.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Likewise, Kim Davis may have argued her constitutional rights were violated when she was required to perform duties in conflict with her religious principles. It's a slippery slope when you let people circumvent the court system and proceed based on what they think should be the law instead of what it actually is.

Since HB2 has not been ruled on in federal courts, Roy Cooper refused to do his job based on his own personal opinions. If you're OK with that, then you should be cool with Kim Davis taking the same stand.
I guess he was going by the 4th Circuit's ruling on the trans-gender school case which ruled against Virginia and sets precedent. I'm sure Kim Davis's office has good liability insurance to handle law suits down the line!

Old 07-11-2016, 11:52 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I guess he was going by the 4th Circuit's ruling on the trans-gender school case which ruled against Virginia and sets precedent. I'm sure Kim Davis's office has good liability insurance to handle law suits down the line!
He refused to defend the voters of North Carolina first and there was no conflict when the voters voted. He lost my vote then. The voters clearly spoke. It is really sad our voters are told they don't count. Voters used to matter. He didn't defend the voters of North Carolina so I will not be voting for him. Maybe that vote will make a difference. I certainly hope so.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:12 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
He refused to defend the voters of North Carolina first and there was no conflict when the voters voted. He lost my vote then. The voters clearly spoke. It is really sad our voters are told they don't count. Voters used to matter. He didn't defend the voters of North Carolina so I will not be voting for him. Maybe that vote will make a difference. I certainly hope so.
He refused to defend Amendment 1, citing the Supreme Court ruling concerning interracial marriage. When our federal district court made a ruling that confirmed the correlation, that was it in NC. The Supreme Court later upheld that.

Would you rather that Roy Cooper waste tax payer money to defend an illegal law?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
He refused to defend Amendment 1, citing the Supreme Court ruling concerning interracial marriage. When our federal district court made a ruling that confirmed the correlation, that was it in NC. The Supreme Court later upheld that.

Would you rather that Roy Cooper waste tax payer money to defend an illegal law?

I think the bigger concern is that he actively colluded to push businesses away like DeutscheBank and boycott NC through his ties with Salesforce.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Voters should not be voting on the civil rights of other citizens. It's the tyranny of the majority against the minority. I'm sure if the voters approved cutting NC state pensions and taking health benefits away from retired NC employees and telling them to sign up for Obamacare, you'd be happily backing up all those voters! Right? Whatever Pat and the GOP-dominated legislature is for - you'll back them all the way!

Old 07-12-2016, 05:51 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
I think the bigger concern is that he actively colluded to push businesses away like DeutscheBank and boycott NC through his ties with Salesforce.
Can't defend what was mentioned in the thread, so you bring up some random "stat".

Fling enough s*it on the wall, and hopefully something sticks, right?

Old 07-12-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Can't defend what was mentioned in the thread, so you bring up some random "stat".

Fling enough s*it on the wall, and hopefully something sticks, right?
Just pointing out that there's plenty of reasons not to vote for him. He'll lose with or without my help.

I'll meet you back here in November to rub it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina