Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 06:22 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Yes they absolutely were. The democrats in this state were a joke.

You know what Bev Perdue's signature achievement was as soon as she got into office?
I thought she stole from the education lottery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 06:57 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
I think schools could always be better, but it's not like kids aren't able to succeed. I went to a tiny rural high school and every smart kid that exerted even a modicum of effort went on to the degrees and careers they wanted

Out of 100 in my class, we have doctors, lawyers, engineers and even an NFL player
I agree and not sure why the GOP constantly malign the public education system. And continue to belittle the teaching profession as a whole. The morale amongst the teaching community and other administrators is low considering the paltry competitive wages and the devaluation of the ass kicking jobs teachers do on limited resources and over crowded classrooms.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:06 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,924 times
Looks like the Dem judges have succeeded in overturning the NCGA elections. So much for "will of the people"

"The order gives legislators a March 15 deadline to draw new district maps. Every legislator whose district is altered will have their current term shortened.

“This politically-motivated decision, which would effectively undo the will of millions of North Carolinians just days after they cast their ballots, is a gross overreach that blatantly disregards the constitutional guarantee for voters to duly elect their legislators to biennial terms,” Rep. David Lewis and Sen. Bob Rucho said in the release, adding that they have already appealed the original U.S. District Court ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article117843388.html#storylink=cpy

Old 11-29-2016, 06:26 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Looks like the Dem judges have succeeded in overturning the NCGA elections. So much for "will of the people"

"The order gives legislators a March 15 deadline to draw new district maps. Every legislator whose district is altered will have their current term shortened.

“This politically-motivated decision, which would effectively undo the will of millions of North Carolinians just days after they cast their ballots, is a gross overreach that blatantly disregards the constitutional guarantee for voters to duly elect their legislators to biennial terms,” Rep. David Lewis and Sen. Bob Rucho said in the release, adding that they have already appealed the original U.S. District Court ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article117843388.html#storylink=cpy
You have got to be kidding me dude...

The guy you've been cheer-leading for for months lost his position as governor and is doing everything in his power to go against the will of the voters to steal the governorship from the person who NCians elected....and you're on here trying to whine about the fact that the heavily gerrymandered NC districts that were deemed unconstitutional are going to be redrawn to more accurately represent the voters of North Carolina? Give me a break. Go pout somewhere else.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:33 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

The guy you've been cheer-leading for for months lost his position as governor and is doing everything in his power to go against the will of the voters to steal the governorship from the person who NCians elected....and you're on here trying to whine about the fact that the heavily gerrymandered NC districts that were deemed unconstitutional are going to be redrawn to more accurately represent the voters of North Carolina? Give me a break. Go pout somewhere else.
+10

Old 11-29-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

They didn't overturn the elections in 1992 when the Democrats created the worst racially gerrymandered district in the country and led to the election of Mel Watts. It's only a problem when the other side does it apparently

Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:

The districts were so badly gerrymandered that Democrats didn't waste their time, money, & energy running. What part of that is the will of the people?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The districts were so badly gerrymandered that Democrats didn't waste their time, money, & energy running. What part of that is the will of the people?
They could have redrawn the districts without nullifying an election. They didn't overturn the elections of the 90's and 2000's when the Democrats were gerrymandering based on race

Last edited by vulfpeck; 11-29-2016 at 06:58 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 08:30 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
They could have redrawn the districts without nullifying an election. They didn't overturn the elections of the 90's and 2000's when the Democrats were gerrymandering based on race
When the gerrymandering was going on, the number 2 guy in the NC Republican party lived in my town & he couldn't resist bragging, in the local weekly, how they were going to turn NC bright red.

You've been told, repeatedly, how representation was reasonably even before the Republicans gerrymandered the state & now it's lopsided. You choose to ignore that, so I'm not going to engage with you further on that topic.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
When the gerrymandering was going on, the number 2 guy in the NC Republican party lived in my town & he couldn't resist bragging, in the local weekly, how they were going to turn NC bright red.

You've been told, repeatedly, how representation was reasonably even before the Republicans gerrymandered the state & now it's lopsided. You choose to ignore that, so I'm not going to engage with you further on that topic.
That is absolutely false. The 12th and 1st districts intentionally lumped as many black voters as possible into voting blocks in order to ensure Democrats were elected

Unfortunately for Democrats this hurt them statewide by siphoning off competition in other districts. An advantage the Republicans later tried to hold on to. The ratio of blacks in those packed districts actually DECREASED under Republican leadership. The opposite of what you claim. Repeating lies doesn't make them true

Last edited by vulfpeck; 11-29-2016 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina