Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:49 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
North Carolina has been traditionally liberal and progressive statewide. Forcing the state to give into House Bill 2 and liberal/progressive policies is not good.
Not true. I was raised here and have lived here most of my life. Not a chance.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:05 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
All of the talk of North Carolina becoming a "progressive paradise" is simply that ...talk! All NC is ... is a few mildly liberal islands in a sea of conservatism. For the foreseeable future, North Carolina will be more like Mississippi than California. If you're waiting for "legal Marijuana", you'd be better off moving to Colorado! North Carolina will never be on the "cutting edge" of anything ...political, social or economic. It's a "follower state" that will be on the rear half of the "state train" moving into the future.

North Carolina is an average state with a below-average cost of living. Its education system will continue to stutter downwards because of poor funding. As North Carolina gets the national reputation of having a cheapskate education system that is only a couple of steps above Mississippi and West Virginia, the fast growth of this state will start to slow down. North Carolina can easily attract lower-middle class residents from the North, but has a much harder time wooing the upper-middle class, because they can run the numbers and figure out that the much higher income tax rate of NC will more than offset any property tax savings.

After World War II, there was a massive migration of African Americans to Northern and Midwestern cities, due to the their abysmal lives under Jim Crow. Now that those places are no longer as desirable, you might see a reverse migration back to states like North Carolina. Why live in Newark in a 120 year old rat-infested apartment that costs $1500 a month, when you can move to Charlotte or Raleigh with your Section 8 money and live in an only "slightly seedy suburban-looking area" with 3 times the space? It's a regular paradise on earth! Why do a Chicago version of "Good Times" when you can be the "Fresh Prince of Cary"?

You'll know North Carolina is closer to the caboose than the engine when you see Nikki Haley smokin' a fatty while the Governor of North Carolina is kissing Franklin Graham's and Art Pope's rear end!
Because of the really cheap housing and property taxes in ENC, you are already seeing retirees moving to that area and retirees, who are generally more conservative, will be the last people to vote for any tax increase for anything, be it school related, business expansion related or in fact anything else.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Because of the really cheap housing and property taxes in ENC, you are already seeing retirees moving to that area and retirees, who are generally more conservative, will be the last people to vote for any tax increase for anything, be it school related, business expansion related or in fact anything else.
mlhm5 - Very true! NC is a wonderful state for Federal retirees. Thanks to the Bailey Decision, Federal pensions are tax-free like Social Security in NC. Not all retirees are conservative however - I'm one ...and I would make Bernie Sanders look like Paul Ryan in comparison! Low taxes are nice, but there's cheap and too cheap!

Old 11-11-2016, 01:00 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
North Carolina has been traditionally liberal and progressive statewide. Forcing the state to give into House Bill 2 and liberal/progressive policies is not good.
"North Carolina has been traditionally liberal and progressive statewide."

It changes in 2010.

The voters VOTED out the dems who had control of the state for 100 YEARS and replaced them with repubs.

And each election the repubs grew in strength.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Its honestly changed our decision to move there. We'd been planing for a year at least and we were suppose to move up in April to the Huntersville area. We started to second guess in Oct when moms from my FB page living there posted their children getting cards such as "Jesus Loves you" in lieu of candy and those riots. We have really heard any good news coming out of there for a while.

It seems really racially and religious tense there right now. I have a feeling we may have a harder time than projected being myself, husband and daughter are all Atheist. Not only that, it seems like a really bad time for my husbands career (Finance) as the state has been hemorrhaging $ in some sectors. We are turning more towards back to New England. They have a large finance sector and while COL is drastically different education is better and jobs seem more stable. Oh and people are a bit more rational.
Good, we don't want anymore yankee libs.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
mlhm5 - Very true! NC is a wonderful state for Federal retirees. Thanks to the Bailey Decision, Federal pensions are tax-free like Social Security in NC. Not all retirees are conservative however - I'm one ...and I would make Bernie Sanders look like Paul Ryan in comparison! Low taxes are nice, but there's cheap and too cheap!
"Thanks to the Bailey Decision, Federal pensions are tax-free like Social Security in NC."

Not even close. I AM a fed retiree and I know.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Thanks to the Bailey Decision, Federal pensions are tax-free like Social Security in NC."

Not even close. I AM a fed retiree and I know.
Maybe you're a federal retiree and you don't know! But feel free to pay more than your fair share! Do you even do your own NC taxes?

Last edited by TheEmissary; 11-11-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-11-2016, 06:52 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Bailey only applies if you had five years setvice before 1989. It does not apply to all federal retirees. But I am loving it!

Old 11-11-2016, 07:55 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Many eastern NC rural Dems are just as conservative as rural western-NC Republicans. Only in Asheville, Charlotte, Boone, The Triangle, Wilmington, and The Triad will you find true liberals. As of 2016, NC is probably more liberal than it has ever been. Like Florida, NC could go either way when it comes to presidential elections. When big states go right, the lefty-media attacks them. That's just how it goes.

As for HB2, let's not forget that Charlotte's far-left stance prompted HB2. Had Charlotte been more conservative, HB2 would've been a non-issue. And even though I DO NOT support HB2; I can admit that the media has made HB2 out to be worse than what the bill states.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:50 PM

88 posts, read 55,908 times
The panthers ruined this state. All hail the Redskins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina