Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
McCrory could have done the right thing by refusing to sign these bills, even thoght his vetoes would be overridden. But no, he continues his spineless ways and is now in the process of signing these bills.

As I've mentioned in other threads, my husband is a dyed-in-the-wool conservative Republican, but just stated to me that he will not vote for a single Republican on the state level in the next pertinent election(s).
Thank your husband from me. Here in NC and regarding our next president, I have great admiration for conservatives who put country/reason over party.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:48 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
McCrory has not done the right thing since he was elected and signing these bills is the equivalent of collecting dog poop, putting it into a paper bag, then at night placing it on an unliked neighbor's doorstep, setting it on fire and ringing the doorbell.

McCrory will go down in NC history as being the most ungracious politician to ever carpetbag his way into the state.

Last edited by mlhm5; 12-16-2016 at 04:22 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 05:03 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,369 times
Republican House, Senate, President, Supreme Court, and now basically North Carolina. We are locked in for 4 years.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:49 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
The Washington Post has hit the nail on the head:

The GOP coup in North Carolina previews what we're going to see everywhere

An excerpt:

Quote:
And they’re barely bothering to pretend that if a Republican governor is elected in four years they won’t just reverse most or all of these changes.

This isn’t just hardball politics. This is a fundamentally anti-democratic approach to government, one that says that when we win, we get to implement our agenda, and when you win, you don’t.

To put this in context, perhaps nowhere in the country have Republicans moved more aggressively to solidify power by disenfranchising their opponents as they have in North Carolina....

That isn’t to say there aren’t places where Democrats try to use gerrymandering to their advantage, too. But there’s a shamelessness to the way Republicans change rules, trample over long-established norms, and generally act as though any result except one in which they win is inherently illegitimate.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:55 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
McCrory could have done the right thing by refusing to sign these bills, even thoght his vetoes would be overridden. But no, he continues his spineless ways and is now in the process of signing these bills.

Special session | NC Gov. Pat McCrory signing GOP bills that shift ethics, lobbying, elections and court power from Democrats | News & Observer

As I've mentioned in other threads, my husband is a dyed-in-the-wool conservative Republican, but just stated to me that he will not vote for a single Republican on the state level in the next pertinent election(s).
It's Pat's way of telling Cooper "**** you" on his way out the door.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:57 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Someone, I think Sal, said upthread what's really getting me ... that this is so brazen, they know everyone is watching, and they don't care at all. It screams Dallas Woodhouse and they feel more empowered than ever to throw out our country's principles and smash and grab.
Woodhouse is an outhouse.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:22 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Someone, I think Sal, said upthread what's really getting me ... that this is so brazen, they know everyone is watching, and they don't care at all. It screams Dallas Woodhouse and they feel more empowered than ever to throw out our country's principles and smash and grab.

I'm so very disgusted. I feel a certain obligation to stay here just to make sure I vote against this (for whatever that's worth...meaning seemingly nothing...), but if I were a company considering relocating here? No way. And I'd like to leave, really. It's all too much.

Yes, it was brazen. It's like they gave the finger to everyone in the State. They do not respect their constituents. They do not care about anyone's rights or the principles of democracy only themselves. I want to see them voted out on their no good asses next election - by a landslide. I just hope people are mad enough to remember this disrespectful act in November.

Last edited by Sal_M; 12-16-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 06:29 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
It's Pat's way of telling Cooper "**** you" on his way out the door.
It's more than that. These bills were not written five minutes ago. While McCrory was doing the recounts, it bought them the time to create these bills. This was a way to essentially nullify the election. These guys only did this because they could. If they don't pay a political price for what they did, it will get worse until they do. North Carolina is a frog in a warming pot.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Jesse Helms would be so proud!

Old 12-17-2016, 05:57 AM

210 posts, read 275,225 times
NC is a mess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina