Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:25 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,714 times

Advertisements

I'll mention Lake Royale in Franklin County - only because I'm very familiar with it lol
I have a second home there, but it's probably too far from Raleigh (nearest city) for OP.
Our home isn't on the water, but there are plenty of lakefront homes, and a few undeveloped lots.

OP, what is your budget? What is a "large lot" to you? More than one acre? 1/2 acre? etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:58 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
Lake Royale is reasonably priced but pretty far out. They do have quite a few low end camping lots and houses in some areas. Personally I like Lake Lure quite a bit but reasonably priced it is not!

Old 01-21-2017, 12:27 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefront16 View Post
For us, there will be ONLY TWO "criteria" in lake-home hunting:

1) Water Quality & Cleanliness
2) Water Clarity

and water level consistency.

Okay, yeah, that's um, three but, trust me, everything after those first two are just, "sprinkles on top."

Here's an idea: has anyone ever / is anyone willing to call the appropriate Division within NC Dept of Health and inquire, "What freshwater lakes within NC are on the list of those safe for a pregnant mother to consume fish (OTHER THAN Largemouth Bass) out of, at least once a week?"

I sense it is a relatively small list . . .

"To each his or her own" and all but personally, NOTHING matters to me about living on a lake if I can't swim in it at leisure, get out and go about my business or the rest of my day (that is, without having to worry about going straight to a shower) or cook and eat a fish caught out of it, at least once a week . .

Definitely do yer R-e-s-e-a-r-c-h !!!

NC DPH: Occupational & Environmental Epidemiology: Current N.C. Fish Consumption Advisories
Smart. They do have brain eating Amoeba is some water. Make sure you wear a nose clip and ear plugs if swimming in unfamiliar waters...

Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,131 times
Lake Norman

Old 03-17-2018, 05:53 AM

324 posts, read 387,800 times
Re Boss's Comment above - we are High Rock Lake waterfront residents, and the lake is nice, but definitely not clear. It's pretty muddy, at least at our end on Riverside Drive, not far from village of Southmont.

walessp

Old 03-18-2018, 08:22 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefront16 View Post
For us, there will be ONLY TWO "criteria" in lake-home hunting:

1) Water Quality & Cleanliness
2) Water Clarity

and water level consistency.

Okay, yeah, that's um, three but, trust me, everything after those first two are just, "sprinkles on top."

Here's an idea: has anyone ever / is anyone willing to call the appropriate Division within NC Dept of Health and inquire, "What freshwater lakes within NC are on the list of those safe for a pregnant mother to consume fish (OTHER THAN Largemouth Bass) out of, at least once a week?"

I sense it is a relatively small list . . .

"To each his or her own" and all but personally, NOTHING matters to me about living on a lake if I can't swim in it at leisure, get out and go about my business or the rest of my day (that is, without having to worry about going straight to a shower) or cook and eat a fish caught out of it, at least once a week . .

Definitely do yer R-e-s-e-a-r-c-h !!!

NC DPH: Occupational & Environmental Epidemiology: Current N.C. Fish Consumption Advisories
If you can find a lake a lake in NC with the same confluence of factors as Lake Burton not far from the NC border in Georgia....

It will turn you off to ever skiing or swimming in man-made floodings with soft muddy bottoms, and brown water.

I couldn't believe how awesome Lake Burton's firm sandy bottom was, along with being able to see your feet as you tread water in areas way over your head. The water was so clear it seemed almost drinkable, though that was 20 years ago, not sure about now.

I don't know what gives it those qualities, but I don't have any interest in ever getting in the water again at Lake Gaston on the NC/VA border, despite probably spending 10 weekends every year there until college..

https://www.bing.com/search?q=lake+b...=en-US&PC=HSJS

Are there any worse types of lakes in America than these muddy floodings of land?

Old 03-19-2018, 04:56 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
If you can find a lake a lake in NC with the same confluence of factors as Lake Burton not far from the NC border in Georgia....

It will turn you off to ever skiing or swimming in man-made floodings with soft muddy bottoms, and brown water.

I couldn't believe how awesome Lake Burton's firm sandy bottom was, along with being able to see your feet as you tread water in areas way over your head. The water was so clear it seemed almost drinkable, though that was 20 years ago, not sure about now.

I don't know what gives it those qualities, but I don't have any interest in ever getting in the water again at Lake Gaston on the NC/VA border, despite probably spending 10 weekends every year there until college..

https://www.bing.com/search?q=lake+b...=en-US&PC=HSJS

Are there any worse types of lakes in America than these muddy floodings of land?
The ones with alligators

Old 03-19-2018, 07:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Or the ones with the brain-eating amoebas...

Old 03-20-2018, 06:16 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
I agree about both above.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:42 AM

96 posts, read 84,113 times
Lake Norman in Charlotte is a good one! As well as Kerr lake near Raleigh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina