Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:48 PM

311 posts, read 172,809 times

Advertisements

Title exposes it all; utter non$en$e.

Still looking for any jurisdiction clamoring over "winning" ANY of the "horrible lo$$e$" NC is (supposedly) incurring.

Argue over the merits of HB2 all you like but, NC "lo$ing" anything over it?

Puhleeeze, all MSM hype . . .

Old 02-10-2017, 04:07 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,263,938 times
Interesting perspective. Why didn't I EVER think of this. Thank you for this refreshing idea. So good!!!!!

Old 02-10-2017, 05:39 PM

4,604 posts, read 6,371,820 times
So.....is this considered fake news ? How about this article ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-10-2017, 07:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefront16 View Post
Title exposes it all; utter non$en$e.

Still looking for any jurisdiction clamoring over "winning" ANY of the "horrible lo$$e$" NC is (supposedly) incurring.

Argue over the merits of HB2 all you like but, NC "lo$ing" anything over it?

Puhleeeze, all MSM hype . . .
I see "reports" of lost $$$, but I wonder if there are any gains and what the difference might actually be. Basically, some entities claim a loss of revenue over companies deciding not to move to NC......but are there any moving to NC "because" they prefer it there?

Maybe there are two or more sides & effects of HB2?

Old 02-10-2017, 08:26 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
So.....is this considered fake news ? How about this article ?

Regards
Gemstone1
There were some false claims in all the initial piling-on. I seem to remember a couple "big conventions" that decided to relocate due to HB2. These supposed conventions were never even booked or never had any interest in being here. It was a case of a few groups getting a bit of free exposure, nothing more.

I still stand firm in my belief that this was a fight that never needed to be picked. Charlotte's mayor fought for this mess even though a similar bill was voted down in the prior council. Just a case of political activism that was unnecessary. I say that because the bathroom issue was never really an issue until Charlotte made it an issue.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:38 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
I see "reports" of lost $$$, but I wonder if there are any gains and what the difference might actually be. Basically, some entities claim a loss of revenue over companies deciding not to move to NC......but are there any moving to NC "because" they prefer it there?

Updated list: Who has come out against, in favor of NC

If you look at the lists of companies that have either publicly supported or denounced HB2, the overwhelming trend is that the ones denouncing it are larger, and the ones supporting it are small (in some cases very small with just one or two people), so the net gain of companies that would move to NC because HB2 fits their ideology would be much smaller because the larger companies are the ones likely to oppose it, and make a judgment that NC doesn't fit the culture that fits them.

Culturally, one or two person shops also seem less likely to be bashful about being outspoken in their politics because they don't have to answer to "corporate" and their client base often thinks the same way they think. In this case, they observe that NC's "conservative gubment", is more aligned with their tea party politics, so I can see some of these types being attracted to NC because of HB2, thinking the state reflects their worldview.

Also, the urban areas of NC had more to lose from HB, because they typically have the larger companies already in existence or moving/expanding in the urban counties. Rural areas typically attract more of the smaller firms or one/two person shops who have moved to the red county hinterland to flee whatever liberal area (at least as they see it) they came from. The rural areas had less to lose to begin with, and companies that would forego moving to NC after HB2 probably wouldn't have moved into those areas anyway, even beforehand, so the negatives of HB2 weren't as strong on the radars of people in those "red" counties.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:39 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
it was a fight that never should have occurred, and HB2 is a bad law that needs to be repealed.

if the Legislature wants to assert that no municipality may compel private businesses to follow laws that go above state-level laws, have at it. For example, if Asheville wants to pay municipal employees $20/hr minimum that's fine. they just can't require the local convenience store to do the same.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:44 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,281,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
There were some false claims in all the initial piling-on. I seem to remember a couple "big conventions" that decided to relocate due to HB2. These supposed conventions were never even booked or never had any interest in being here. It was a case of a few groups getting a bit of free exposure, nothing more.

I still stand firm in my belief that this was a fight that never needed to be picked. Charlotte's mayor fought for this mess even though a similar bill was voted down in the prior council. Just a case of political activism that was unnecessary. I say that because the bathroom issue was never really an issue until Charlotte made it an issue.
HB2 made it an issue and was political activism on a higher order at the state level. There were ways to address what Charlotte did instead of injecting fear, lies and hysteria via an over reaching bill with parts that had nothing do with reaction to the Charlotte policy. Now the governor is gone and state perception damaged, not beyond repair but at the cost of millions of dollars, thousands of jobs and unknown business opportunities. The governor and state had a responsible to consider the economic repercussions of HB2 regardless of convictions. No matter what some of the local or rural state reps think of urban metros, these metros bolster the state's tax base. It's like biting the hand that feeds you.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 02-11-2017 at 05:53 AM..

Old 02-11-2017, 07:07 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Updated list: Who has come out against, in favor of NC

If you look at the lists of companies that have either publicly supported or denounced HB2, the overwhelming trend is that the ones denouncing it are larger, and the ones supporting it are small (in some cases very small with just one or two people), so the net gain of companies that would move to NC because HB2 fits their ideology would be much smaller because the larger companies are the ones likely to oppose it, and make a judgment that NC doesn't fit the culture that fits them.

Culturally, one or two person shops also seem less likely to be bashful about being outspoken in their politics because they don't have to answer to "corporate" and their client base often thinks the same way they think. In this case, they observe that NC's "conservative gubment", is more aligned with their tea party politics, so I can see some of these types being attracted to NC because of HB2, thinking the state reflects their worldview.

Also, the urban areas of NC had more to lose from HB, because they typically have the larger companies already in existence or moving/expanding in the urban counties. Rural areas typically attract more of the smaller firms or one/two person shops who have moved to the red county hinterland to flee whatever liberal area (at least as they see it) they came from. The rural areas had less to lose to begin with, and companies that would forego moving to NC after HB2 probably wouldn't have moved into those areas anyway, even beforehand, so the negatives of HB2 weren't as strong on the radars of people in those "red" counties.
Thx for the link and insight. One thing I still ponder is the possibility of companies moving to NC, BUT being afraid to come out publicly in favor of HB2 or parts of it, for fear of a segment of the population seeking retribution.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:08 PM

133 posts, read 162,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post

NC is raking in so much revenue YoY the corporate tax cut was triggered for 2017. Corporate income tax is falling from 4% to 3%. Personal income tax also falls from 5.75% to 5.49%, and the standard deduction is rising from $7,500 to $8,000 per person. Most states would love to be "losing revenue" like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina