Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:09 AM

311 posts, read 173,033 times

Advertisements

[quote=PDD;47156904]It's pretty well established that the NRA and gun manufacturers associations own the Republicans in office. [quote]

Urban legend such as this is a (if not, 'the') supreme reason opponents to constitutional carry are losing in one state after another.

In fact, such hysterical assertions are just as false today as they were when the same argument was rolled out as each state adopted laws allowing concealed carry, during the late 80's through the 90's.

As long as opponents to constitutional carry persist in retreading falsehoods their opposition shall remain INeffective. For that, I am eternally grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 01:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,503,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
Charging people for the right to own a gun disproportionately discriminates against the poor. Poor people may not have the funds to purchase the gun AND pay the fees. Your RIGHTS should not be tied to being able to afford them.
Do you feel the same about health insurance?

Old 02-11-2017, 02:08 PM

626 posts, read 627,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Why this is a bad deal financially for NC.

570,000 NC CCW permit holders X $75 renewal fee every five years = $42,750,000 in permit fees removed from the states coffers? A lot of that money goes towards hunter education, operating wildlife shooting ranges, maintaining state game lands.

Hundreds of certified gun safety instructors will lose income because safety training will not be required to concealed carry a weapon.

18 YO will be allowed to now carry concealed weapons instead of waiting to 21 ( we all know how young people handle automobiles so now lets give then guns).

Anybody who has ever been to a gun range knows that half the shooters have to be constantly reminded by range officers about gun safety and many of these have already been thru safety courses.

There is absolutely no financial advantage for republicans to push thru this new law except maybe a little help with outside campaign financing.

It's pretty well established that the NRA and gun manufacturers associations own the Republicans in office.

I suggest that those who are for this new law are probably gun owners who could not qualify for a legal permit but now you can carry, that's a brilliant idea.
BTW I am a legal carry permit holder and the few guns I do own were purchased from legal gun shops.
See that's where there are problems... Wake County says you have to be 18 years old in order to get a pistol permit. While in Guilford county you have to be 21, so that's what I was talking about how different counties have different rules.

So you want to discriminate against someone who is 18years old and in your eyes not mature enough to carry a pistol. All the while when I was 18/19 I was in the Marines fighting with weapons in Afghanistan.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:51 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,287,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
See that's where there are problems... Wake County says you have to be 18 years old in order to get a pistol permit. While in Guilford county you have to be 21, so that's what I was talking about how different counties have different rules.

So you want to discriminate against someone who is 18years old and in your eyes not mature enough to carry a pistol. All the while when I was 18/19 I was in the Marines fighting with weapons in Afghanistan.
I think 21 is a good age. Never did combat but ex-military. At 18 years old in Fort Benning we trained for 16 weeks and anybody that completes basic training should receive a waiver. Of course, like the drinking age, it'll get abused but 21 is a good target. It's not a matter of individual maturity but what societal standards deem maturity. There's a reason 21 become the legal drinking age although there are 1000s of teens that drink without issue. There are also 30+ year olds I'd never trust with a weapon, period.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:01 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,287,034 times
[quote=Lakefront16;47159143][quote=PDD;47156904]It's pretty well established that the NRA and gun manufacturers associations own the Republicans in office.
Quote:

Urban legend such as this is a (if not, 'the') supreme reason opponents to constitutional carry are losing in one state after another.

In fact, such hysterical assertions are just as false today as they were when the same argument was rolled out as each state adopted laws allowing concealed carry, during the late 80's through the 90's.

As long as opponents to constitutional carry persist in retreading falsehoods their opposition shall remain INeffective. For that, I am eternally grateful!
Lol, there is a militia somewhere in Montana a calling. I don't know who we should fear more, a crazy ass American hating terrorist or a hearsay constitutional wacko who believes their interpretation of the constitution is manna from heaven bestowed by the Almighty....good grief, equally dangerous.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,251,200 times
if we could only find common ground, then 80%+ of Americans would agree,methinks...

We have the right to own guns.

How we define legally-allowed guns would largely be agreed upon.

We have laws to limit gun ownership/have severe penalties for criminals who own or use guns in the commission of crime.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:44 PM

311 posts, read 173,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
. . . there is a militia somewhere in Montana a calling.
MORE diatribe? Sheesh, do keep it a-comin'. (ANYthing but reason!)

Old 02-12-2017, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Do you feel the same about health insurance?

I think you have confused the USA with the USSR. There's no right to publicly funded health insurance in the US Constitution.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,019 times
[quote=Big Aristotle;47162451][quote=Lakefront16;47159143]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's pretty well established that the NRA and gun manufacturers associations own the Republicans in office.

Lol, there is a militia somewhere in Montana a calling. I don't know who we should fear more, a crazy ass American hating terrorist or a hearsay constitutional wacko who believes their interpretation of the constitution is manna from heaven bestowed by the Almighty....good grief, equally dangerous.

Can someone tell me why the state of Vermont, which has NEVER had a permit requirement, allows concealed and open carry of handguns for any law abiding citizen 16 years or older, somehow has not had all the horrible things happen that the naysayers think will happen? And why would it happen in NC or anywhere else for that matter?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:55 AM

147 posts, read 163,124 times
"Regardless of alternative facts, fake news or scientific censorship, nature tells the truth. That truth will flood in torrential rains. It will sear in extended droughts. It will sweep into coastal homes, especially where it has been suppressed; in North Carolina, for example, where the state general assembly banned the use of sea-level rise projections in coastal policymaking, and in South Florida, where thousands of condos and rental apartments are under construction in areas known for serious tidal flooding."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina