Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 7,823 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my husband and I have been seriously thinking on relocating to nc. We're looking to get away from high taxes and long winters. We both have jobs we've been at for many years, our concern is trying to find an area to relocate to that has a decent cost of living, low crime, and the ability to find jobs, late 30s and early 40s here so we have to work awhile yet, We've looked at many different areas but seems like finding an area with the big 3 is next to impossible. Seems like low crime and jobs is just too expensive and vice versa. We're not looking for perfection we know there's always give n take. So we're here asking for your thoughts and experience, we're also looking for 2+acres which seems to make things a little harder too. Thanks and have a great day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 05:11 PM

807 posts, read 690,042 times
Apex (suburb of Raleigh) seems to be pretty safe and convenient to Raleigh and Research Triangle Park. You might have a hard time finding much land there though, as it keeps getting ranked as one of the best places to live in America. I would also recommend one of the suburbs of Charlotte (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, etc), although traffic is much worse there.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:19 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
If you are looking for lower taxes id say maybe the Burlington/Mebane area which is part of the Piedmont Triad. The Triad area has a lower cost of living than the Charlotte and Raleigh areas which are rapidly growing. I say Burlington area because you would still be close to the Triangle as well as Greensboro. Burlington to Durham is a 36 minute drive. Burlington to Greensboro is a 28 minute drive. The Triangle has the best opportunity for finding high paying jobs but living in the eastern edge of the Triad you would enjoy lower cost of living with a short commute time to the Triangle. You would be close to urban ammenities in both the Raleigh/Durham area and the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-13-2017 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 05:33 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade0206 View Post
trying to find an area to relocate to...
that has a decent cost of living, low crime, and the ability to find jobs,
We've looked at many different areas but...
Where --exactly-- have you looked?
And when you say 'looked' ...has any of that been done in person?

Quote:
Seems like low crime and jobs is just too expensive and vice versa.
We're not looking for perfection we know there's always give n take.
The 'give n take' starts with how well your job skills can pay. Anywhere.
But the 'low cost of living' is almost always paired with low(er) wage rates.
Then of course there's the very subjective nature of what 'best' might mean to you.

Quote:
...we're also looking for 2+acres which seems to make things a little harder too.
You'll need to be more than X miles out of the town center to do it.
That is likely to make the daily commute longer too.

If you get this far I'll suggest that you (everyone really) NOT buy at first.
Get the job(s), get settled in, make some friends, catch your breath... then think about it.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Please be more specific about what kind of jobs you are looking for--the market depends wildly on what city you're in, by industry.

What factors drew you to NC to begin with? Look for areas with more of those. It's not a monolithic state; larger cities like Charlotte or Raleigh are NOTHING like the rural areas--so asking "Where in NC should we go?" isn't nearly specific enough.

What are to trying to avoid? What are you trying to find? What other cities/towns compare to places you're looking for? the more info you provide, the more people can help you. But saying what kind of work you need is a big one.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:50 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,091,305 times
My clairvoyant powers are telling me that the Boone, NC area is the best for you OP.

Actually, that's where I want to live cuz I'm getting worried about how fast the population is growing here in the Raleigh area. Besides, I think mountain homes like this one in Blowing Rock are just drop-dead gorgeous.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 881 times
My husband and I with our 12 year old daughter want to leave Long island NY and move to NC. Now I have visited for over 6 years the charlotte area (Huntersville by Lake Norman) love, love the area BUT I hear that if you are in the banking world around there is the best place to be. My husband on the other hand is in Telecommunications which I hear is more up in the Raleigh area. Now I feel like I am starting over research wise because I only here up in Raleigh ( Cary, Apex,etc.) is the place to be b ut I find that because its the place the place to be your option are limited cause I can find a beaultiful new home for under 350 in charlotte dont think in raleigh. I also feel like the Huntersville area still felt a little like NY which is what I am looking for. SO!!! the big question does anyone have an area in Raleigh that they know thats like living by Lake Norman???

Old 02-08-2018, 11:00 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrissey545 View Post
My husband and I with our 12 year old daughter want to leave Long island NY and move to NC. Now I have visited for over 6 years the charlotte area (Huntersville by Lake Norman) love, love the area BUT I hear that if you are in the banking world around there is the best place to be. My husband on the other hand is in Telecommunications which I hear is more up in the Raleigh area. Now I feel like I am starting over research wise because I only here up in Raleigh ( Cary, Apex,etc.) is the place to be b ut I find that because its the place the place to be your option are limited cause I can find a beaultiful new home for under 350 in charlotte dont think in raleigh. I also feel like the Huntersville area still felt a little like NY which is what I am looking for. SO!!! the big question does anyone have an area in Raleigh that they know thats like living by Lake Norman???
You might find it more productive to start your own thread. Sometimes when new posters piggyback onto existing threads, the conversations start crisscrossing each other and get confusing.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:04 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrissey545 View Post
My husband and I with our 12 year old daughter want to leave Long island NY and move to NC.
I have visited for over 6 years the charlotte area (Huntersville by Lake Norman) love, love the area
I also feel like the Huntersville area still felt a little like NY which is what I am looking for.

...hear that if you are in the banking world around there is the best place to be.
Sounds like you and your daughter will be fine in the CLT area and
that your Telecom husband should be fine too... once you find at least one job.

Do NOT move a family without a solid job offer.
Wherever that offer might be? That's where you move.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:28 PM

363 posts, read 439,862 times
We moved to Chapelboro area about 18 months ago, and love it! However, we've had some bad luck in the past. When the housing market crashed where we lived, we lost our house. Probably won't be able to invest again for a few years, just as we are both nearing retirement. The Burlington/Mebane area looks promising, doesn't have as much going for it as Orange county, but still nice and east side close enough to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina