Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times

Advertisements

Being from Greensboro, I'm old enough to remember the city 30 years ago (I was 9), I can tell you downtown was dead outside of normal business hours during the week. Friday and Saturday nights downtown was a ghost town even 20 years ago. Quite frankly, it was a bland southern city 30 years ago which was still dominated by the textiles industry and people nicknamed it Greensboring. If you sought nightlife you didn't go downtown, you went to the High Point Rd strip (now Gate City Blvd). And even then it was nothing more than restaurants, the mall and a few strip clubs. Today downtown is far more active day and night with a number of big projects opening within the next 3 years such as the 3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts, Hyatt Place, Westin and Aloft hotels along with midrise apartments and three planned towers. Greensboro's population has grown pretty steadily. In 1990 the city had a population of 183,000. Today it's close to 290,000 getting near the brink of the 300,000 people. The city's economy is evolving from textiles to Aerospace/Aviation, advanced manufacturing, distribution and logistics and with Arch Capital moving its corporate headquarters to Greensboro and the U.S. headquarters of the Lincoln Financial insurance division in downtown , the city's economy is growing in the insurance sector as well. Btw Arch Capital will be the largest mortgage insurance company in the United States after recent acquisitions.

My my things have changed.

Downtown today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLiTbwFGUSg

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-27-2017 at 10:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 09:10 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,463 times
Nice video of downtown. We always hit up Dame’s whenever I’m there visiting family!

Old 11-30-2017, 07:00 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
The real agony is driving on I 95.
Ha ha. I don't mind that in NC. The problems start in VA and get worse the further North you go. When I lived in Fayetteville and drove to PA to visit family, I started cutting over to 81 so that I didn't have to go anywhere near Washington.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:08 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Ha ha. I don't mind that in NC. The problems start in VA and get worse the further North you go.
Yep. It all goes downhill once you reach Petersburg.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:10 AM

6,375 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
LOL! I remember when Crabtree Valley was an actual swamp!
Me too....happens every time a major storm moves through!

I'm thinking OP is very young. US-1 was a two-lane road from 64 to Crossroads until I was in high school. I graduated HS in 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina