Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,571 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to move from Wisconsin to somewhere with a much better climate (I hate the cold). And found that North Carolina may be an upgrade and provide good job opportunities as I am still young with no kids/family. Is there any cities that come to mind that are reasonably priced, have a decent climate, and may be able to provide some good career choices? Or should I be looking at another state all together? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
You'll have to define "reasonably priced" because what you might consider to be reasonable others may not. Also wouldn't hurt to know what you like/don't like in cities.

That said, the cities that working transplants usually move to in NC are Charlotte, Raleigh, and Durham, with Greensboro and Winston-Salem also in the mix.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberdco View Post
Hi, I am looking to move from Wisconsin to somewhere with a much better climate (I hate the cold). And found that North Carolina may be an upgrade and provide good job opportunities as I am still young with no kids/family. Is there any cities that come to mind that are reasonably priced, have a decent climate, and may be able to provide some good career choices? Or should I be looking at another state all together? Thanks.
You'll need to be a little more specific about what KIND of "job opportunities" you are looking for? Sure, there are jobs, but are they in your field? We don't know.

The climate is good all over NC (though HOT HOT HOT in the summer), but the more specific you can be with your info, the more people can help you.

How did you pick NC to look into? Are you looking into other states, too?

Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,571 times
My apologies, I should have been more clear on what I meant. I don't know what I want to do as a career yet, it ranges from the trades to possibly working in finance or even real estate. Right now I am entering my second gap year from being out of highschool because college for the most part hasn't really peaked my interest. So I have been looking to move as the winters here in Wisconsin are becoming unbearable, and this whole experince I feel like could also help me grow as an individual. I also was looking at Arizona, as I've been there numerous times and have really enjoyed the 50-80 degree winter months (November-April) and the beautiful landscape scenery. The main downside being however is that I have never experienced the summer temperatures (100-113 degrees) and have been told by many that it is basically intorable. I am also not the biggest fan of snakes and spiders, haha. From the research that I have done so far it seems that NC has winters, but not even close to what I am used to. Also the overall enviroment and of NC seems to trump that of SC and maybe even Arizona. I enjoy outside activities, (hiking, boating, etc) am a big car enthusiast, and love sports. Thanks again.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
My apologies, I should have been more clear on what I meant. I don't know what I want to do as a career yet, it ranges from the trades to possibly working in finance or even real estate. Right now I am entering my second gap year from being out of highschool because college for the most part hasn't really peaked my interest. So I have been looking to move as the winters here in Wisconsin are becoming unbearable, and this whole experince I feel like could also help me grow as an individual. I also was looking at Arizona, as I've been there numerous times and have really enjoyed the 50-80 degree winter months (November-April) and the beautiful landscape scenery. The main downside being however is that I have never experienced the summer temperatures (100-113 degrees) and have been told by many that it is basically intorable. I am also not the biggest fan of snakes and spiders, haha. From the research that I have done so far it seems that NC has winters, but not even close to what I am used to. Also the overall enviroment and of NC seems to trump that of SC and maybe even Arizona. I enjoy outside activities, (hiking, boating, etc) am a big car enthusiast, and love sports. Thanks again.
I say come on down to a moderately sized and affordable city with enough opportunity. The Triad (Greensboro, Winston, High Point) comes to mind, as well as Burlington, Hickory and Wilmington although those 3 are smaller. Find a job any job and rent a room for $500. Learn the lay of the land, meet people through roommates and coworkers, and learn what industries in the area interest you and work your way in.

The Triangle metro (Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill) and Charlotte metro are more expensive, so is Asheville. Undeniably nice though with a metric fudge-ton of different jobs available. Come on down man! North Carolina is a beautiful state and we've plenty of room for more people

Temps here are hot in the summer for sure, but usually not unbearable. Most sunny days will top out around 87-97 degrees. Autumn and spring are so beautiful especially autumn. You'll want to be outside every day. Winters are grey and in between hot and cold with sunny day highs ranging from 45-55 degrees most days. You won't get away from snakes and certainly not spiders here, copperheads are relatively common even in residential neighborhoods in Raleigh...hell, I had one in my front yard bite my buddy's hand last year.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:12 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
I enjoy outside activities, (hiking, boating, etc) am a big car enthusiast, and love sports.
I agree that the Triad is a good place to start. It has many NASCAR fans, lots of college sports teams, and parks and lakes for outdoor activities.

We also have a great community college system in every county where you can take career-oriented classes. Everything from welding, to truck-driving to medical trades are available in these schools. I am sure you can find some career track once you experience the real world.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:53 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
I too would suggest the Triad area (Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point) but would also throw in the area to the east along I-40 around Burlington and Mebane, which are both growing quickly along the corridor towards Durham and Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina