Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 01:21 PM

24 posts, read 14,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Oh boy here it goes....
Raleigh vs Charlotte threads getting shut down left and right, lol

The rivalry between Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham is like the rivalry between Houston and Dallas-Ft Worth in Texas, and between LA and San Francisco in California...perhaps worse, haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 02:38 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
There's not really much more that can be said with all the posts so far. However, I've been in both cities around the morning rush and from the hours of 7am-9am, the Triangle is a beast on I-40 and the 440 loop. For some reason, I feel I can navigate through Metrolina(I-77 & I-85 & I-285) better and with less road rage than I can the Raleigh area.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:45 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
There's not really much more that can be said with all the posts so far. However, I've been in both cities around the morning rush and from the hours of 7am-9am, the Triangle is a beast on I-40 and the 440 loop. For some reason, I feel I can navigate through Metrolina(I-77 & I-85 & I-285) better and with less road rage than I can the Raleigh area.
It's the arterial roads like W.T.Harris, Independence, Providence, Albemarle, Queens, Rea rd....etc... where you feel the difference with Charlotte traffic being worse. Plus I77/ I85 are bad all daynot just during rush hour....thats the difference.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:22 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
My choice would be Charlotte, no question.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:25 PM

405 posts, read 316,855 times
My choice would be Raleigh, no question.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:11 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
It's been well over a year and a half since the OP created this thread. If he/she hasn't made a move by now, he/she just may not.

Old 04-03-2021, 03:04 PM

48 posts, read 39,210 times
I would have to say that downtown and surrounding area Charlotte has a more glamorous, moneyed, bright lights- big city, luxurious feel and Raleigh is a bit more of an intellectual, hipster, artsy, tech feel to it. Charlotte has more of a dash of LA or Atlanta to me and Raleigh has more of a dash of Seattle or Portland to me.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:08 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd chime in anyway. I would easily pick Charlotte.

Less expensive overall. Better buying power. Much more to do recreationally (especially unique recreational assets; NFL/NBA/MLS/Major Theme Park/Major Waterpark/U.S. National Whitewater Center), the economy is more diverse overall, better transportation/transit/airport, better geographical location to multiple areas in both Carolinas. Charlotte's downtown is much better, more vibrant.

I have no axe to grind with the Raleigh/Durham area. I have family and friends in RDU, visit multiple times a year for decades, and live in the Charlotte area. I love and am very familiar with both. But objectively, Charlotte just offers much more on the whole, plus it's less expensive to boot. But a very good QOL can be had in either.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:55 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
Anything Charlotte can do, Atlanta can do better. The Triangle is different, better educated and more culturally rich, and offers a great, albeit smaller and quieter, alternative to Atlanta or DC. Charlotte is a nice place to visit, and still offers a good QOL.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:50 AM

515 posts, read 252,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrivedinNC View Post
Charlotte hands down, lol. Raleigh doesn't try to compare itself to any other city...neither does Nashville ("Music city"), New Orleans (French/Creole), Memphis (the Blues), Northern Virginia/DC (power high income metro outside the nation's capitol), Orlando (Disney, winter haven), Miami(a diverse latin world capital with gorgeous world class beaches)....they are all secure in their own respective identities just as Raleigh and the Triangle are known for world class universities, research and tech, and are secure with it's identity not trying to be Atlanta or any place else. What Charlotte is mostly known for is NASCAR, mega churches and televangelists and for being just another cookie cutter town with a cookie cutter corporate city center littered with chain restaurants and bars...any city USA basically, so rather than own it they try and compare themselves to other cities...most notably Atlanta...Charlotte should just own what they're known mostly for and not try and run from it. It is what it is.
here we go again... reading through these threads is pure comedy...

regardless, as to what the OP was asking for, I'd probably lean Charlotte there, since he worked in a job field better suited for Charlotte. It seemed the OP would also probably prefer Charlotte's nightlife to Raleigh's... but it has been a year or whatever since the OP was looking for an answer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina