Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 01:38 PM

96 posts, read 53,307 times

Advertisements

Several years ago I had the (un)experience of purchasing alcohol (spirits) while visiting NC. The store was very industrial looking, staff very bossy and unpleasant, prices high. Thinking of relocating to NC in the next several years and, although this is a non issue in that thought process, what gives? I read a recent article how the state run alcohol sales are a disaster and money is lost in a dramatic way year after year. Has anything changed? Is there a push to allow the private industry to replace the state run?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 03:51 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
This was discussed extensively here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-millions.html

Basically, the state run part (ABC stores) is liquor that is bought and consumed off the premises of where it is sold.

Each local area has their own ABC stores and board that controls these, so a bad experience may just deal with management issues at that particular store or under that particular ABC board.

My biggest concern with private sales (and I might be in a minority) is that when they're badly run, especially in marginal low income neighborhoods, there isn't the political accountability that exists with state ABC stores. Being able to go to an elected official and say "This store needs to be managed better, people are loitering and dealing drugs in the store's parking lot. Do better or I'm going to remember that in the voting booth!" adds some accountability that just doesn't exist with fly by night liquor stores, which you do see more of in the sketchier neighborhoods in other states.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This was discussed extensively here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-millions.html

Basically, the state run part (ABC stores) is liquor that is bought and consumed off the premises of where it is sold.

Each local area has their own ABC stores and board that controls these, so a bad experience may just deal with management issues at that particular store or under that particular ABC board.

My biggest concern with private sales (and I might be in a minority) is that when they're badly run, especially in marginal low income neighborhoods, there isn't the political accountability that exists with state ABC stores. Being able to go to an elected official and say "This store needs to be managed better, people are loitering and dealing drugs in the store's parking lot. Do better or I'm going to remember that in the voting booth!" adds some accountability that just doesn't exist with fly by night liquor stores, which you do see more of in the sketchier neighborhoods in other states.
You brought up some good points, because I do not recall anyone loitering outside the store or any indication of criminal/drug activity. Many of the liquor stores around here have just that and are located in economically depressed areas. Guess it's my, "can't see the forest for the trees," moment.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the link, Jowel. Great reading!!!

Old 09-09-2019, 06:58 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by low crawler View Post
You brought up some good points, because I do not recall anyone loitering outside the store or any indication of criminal/drug activity. Many of the liquor stores around here have just that and are located in economically depressed areas. Guess it's my, "can't see the forest for the trees," moment.
Sure, understood. The bad outside elements may not affect every location equally, and some stores/ABC boards are run better than others. In my mind (and I realize not everyone may share this opinion), having some sort of a board with a chain of command that answers to the citizens in the community is one advantage of the current system, by hopefully weeding out some of the worst case scenarios in having a business that's being a nuisance with an owner who just doesn't care.

Obviously, there are some disadvantages and I'm usually not for systems that are monopolies, so I would understand someone making an argument for a stronger free market system, but I think this is a "unique" operation with externalities onto its neighbors that are a little different than other goods and services.

NC is not unique in having its quirky alcohol laws though, and there is sometimes no rhyme or reason with certain laws being relics of the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Old 09-27-2019, 01:04 PM

10 posts, read 7,543 times
Tennessee has higher prices on alcohol and its liquor stores are market based, not government operated. No easy take away on liquor sales in the US.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:48 AM

84 posts, read 60,467 times
There are some rumblings about privatizing liquor sales, but realistically its years off, and could come in many different forms.

I'm just glad we are finally going to be able to buy more than one beer at the bar at once.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:58 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
It is still very annoying that one cannot buy beer or wine before noon on a Sunday.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:28 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It is still very annoying that one cannot buy beer or wine before noon on a Sunday.
The state law regarding that was changed 2 years ago. Many (most?) jurisdictions now allow sales prior to noon on Sunday.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:50 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I thought it was 10AM now.

Not arguing, but my opinion is that : Why not buy on Saturday ? Anytime on Saturday.

For liquor, all stores are state run and closed on Sundays. Again, just stock up on Friday and Saturday to get you through Sunday ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina