Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 09:30 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times

Advertisements

Charlotte 485, you and I different perspectives on this and the world in general. It’s okay. I’m cool with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 10:02 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
LOL.... watch thread that included Wilmington become exclusively Charlotte vs. Raleigh....
This forum is so predictable. No surprise it is on the decline towards irrelevance.
Charlotte can be left completely out of it. No need for a measuring contest between two North Carolina cities. Besides, I said the two were nearly indistinguishable. Wake County and Mecklenburg counties don’t seem all that different.

I’m actually curious as to what Triangle posters mean Raleigh is culturally different from the south, other areas of North Carolina, etc.

Edit: I see it’s being discussed on the main page. Not… touching that topic.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...uthern-10.html

Last edited by Charlotte485; 07-18-2022 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-28-2022, 10:52 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Not from a “Charlotte” perspective. Towns, roads and infrastructures aren’t really “cultural”. The Lake Norman towns in Charlotte use blue signs. The rest of the towns use green.

Raleigh is just at the other side of the border but is as “culturally” southern, accents, foods, country music being pretty big, etc as South Carolina.

What are the cultural differences that make it hard to distinguish the two? Particularly, what is this reoccurring theme that Raleigh isn’t that southern, isn’t as “South Carolina” etc theme that goes on here, frequently? It’s a small North Carolina city that people associate with North Carolina, drink tea and say y’all….

Is Raleigh some special region that I was never aware of? It’s nothing like Northern Virginia - at all. Before anyone says something like that. And it doesn’t strike me as a Norfolk, Richmond, Charlottesville, Roanoke or Lynchburg type (Greensboro & Winston seem more similar to that group to me than Raleigh.) So what is this cultural difference that distinguishes the triangle area from South Carolina, the rest of North Carolina, perhaps Georgia and Virginia?

And yes, there are “some” cultural differences but overall. Nothing major. None that I can particularly point out off the top of my head. The towns, road and infrastructure in Charlotte look so similar to those of Raleigh. It’s indistinguishable for the most part to be in anywhere Raleigh vs. anywhere Charlotte.

Your comment wasn’t a big deal and my reply to it wasn’t even really in response to yours, but it just gets annoying hearing some Triangle based posters very frequently do the “we’re not really southern, we don’t fit in with even Charlotte NC because we’re educated like people from the north.” It’s dumb. It’s not that glamorous to be next to Richmond & Norfolk that people need to wet their panties over.

Also, (not this post from Tarheelhombre) it’s slightly humorous the “bless your heart” and southern passive aggressive comments about not being “culturally” southern or culturally similar to South Carolina from some triangle posters. So southern to use veiled comments, lol.
Of Wake county's 1,1 million residents, 75% are non-natives and too many are from NY and NJ.

In my opinion, Raleigh is further from the mountains and the culture of that area. Folksy, arts and crafts, the types of art and live entertainment that thrives in Asheville. That crunchy granola type of lifestyle.

Charlotte seems slightly different in terms of tastes in say, public art installations, the design of the platforms of the light rail system( the canopy's curved bonnet-like arms), the branding of the buses (cursive). etc.

But I like the upstate's mustard-based BBQ sauce more than Eastern or Lexington style.

In another example, say the difference between the branding of Asheville-based Ingles supermarkets from other NC grovery stores, or even the Fresh Market's interiors and fall mailer;

It just doesn't look like what I see in Eastern NC. Don't get offended. You have the skyscrapers so be happy.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:04 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Charlotte 485, you and I different perspectives on this and the world in general. It’s okay. I’m cool with that.
When will you be okay that you and I have differing opinions on growth and I see sprawl as bad and towns like dunn suburbanizing as bad! Just accept we are different!

Old 07-29-2022, 10:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1KP4ztKK0A

16:12 for 10 seconds is one example by an expert when folks say that Raleigh is losing its North Carolina cultural influence. This is objective, and neither a positive nor negative comment. Tying this back to growth, much of this has been driven by domestic and international migration that has diluted the language to a point that you are oftentimes more likely not to hear a Southern accent than to hear a Southern accent. I think that this dynamic plays out more substantially in Raleigh because its growth has been built on a smaller "local" base population when compared to similar sized or larger markets that were substantially larger in decades past.

Old 07-29-2022, 01:11 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
When will you be okay that you and I have differing opinions on growth and I see sprawl as bad and towns like dunn suburbanizing as bad! Just accept we are different!
With you, it’s personal.

Old 07-29-2022, 01:37 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
With you, it’s personal.
Awww why is it personal?

Old 07-29-2022, 01:45 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
If anyone spends time in Brunswick county you're not surprised to see them on the list at all. I've seen them on national lists as well. It's insane how much growth has happened there. A ton of transplants, which is most every area in NC that's growing.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:39 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
If anyone spends time in Brunswick county you're not surprised to see them on the list at all. I've seen them on national lists as well. It's insane how much growth has happened there. A ton of transplants, which is most every area in NC that's growing.
Lots of retirees who either can't afford Florida or who don't want to be there.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:40 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Well, I finally visited Wilmington this past weekend (Carolina Beach to be exact with a drive through Wilmington). In my opinion, Wilmington's downtown area is definitely worthy of it's own visit while staying at a downtown area hotel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina