Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 03:11 PM

9 posts, read 21,245 times

Advertisements

I am a school teacher near 30, and married. We are from NJ and are considering a move to NC, perhaps somewhat near the coast. We like a variety of outdoor activities...including fishing, hunting, drag racing, and four-wheeling. We have friends in NC and have visited, but have not been near the eastern coast.

The reasons we have for leaving NJ are cost of living, lack of business opportunity (we live in South Jersey), and limited availability of the activities we enjoy.

Some questions we have are:

Where are some good school districts located?
What areas should we stay away from, (due to crime, etc)?
Does anyone know if there are job opportunities for teachers?
Cost of living? We would probably be looking for a home about $200,000 or less.

I have noticed many people on this site were originally from NJ or other northern states. What are some things we should consider? Are you happy with your move?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We are planning to visit the area, perhaps near Wilmington (but appreciate information about other areas), next month. If you need more information for a better recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,911 times
Default Welcome to the club...

Hi from Lodi..
This forum is very helpful, you need to search & search.
We plan to be there by 2010, making another visit after the holidays.
We're in our early 40's with 3 kids & find NJ totally insane cost wise.
3 kids in private schools....15K (If you know Lodi schools you know why)
Local taxes....12K a year
Car Insurance, $2500 thats for 2 used cars & a clean record.
I paid my Mortgage off early & would gladly loose 75-100K to sell.

I like Western NC & around Mooresville.
I have plenty of family & friends all across the state, I think theres more
Italians in NC then in LODI now...lol

See ya soon & good luck!!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 11,221 times
36 yr old teacher from central NJ here. I'm looking into finding a job in NC at the moment.. I grew up in Clifton, Maybe we should start a NC from NC club..lol

Joe

Old 10-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Lodifella,

Thanks for the information....I see you are just as anxious to get out of here as I am. How long have you been planning? Good luck

Joe,

Another teacher heading to NC, hey? Better not take my job! Just kidding. What area are you looking into? Good luck to you!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,887 times
looks like the three of you are looking at moving into each "section" of the state. you may want to each post in your respective section to get a better idea of what you want to know.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
looks like the three of you are looking at moving into each "section" of the state. you may want to each post in your respective section to get a better idea of what you want to know.
Have done, but am also interested in what the rest of the state has to offer. Thanks findinghope!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times
If you use the forums search feature you will find information regarding housing costs, NJ transplants, crime, taxes etc.

NC has 100 counties and many school districts. Most school districts are county based but there are a few city school districts. For example in Cabarrus county (north of Charlotte) you have Cabarrus county school district and Kannapolis city school district. Traditional schools typically run August - May. There are a few districts with year round schools. FYI - NC does not have unions.

Public Schools of NC
Salary Guides

Old 10-09-2008, 08:52 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meecha33 View Post
I am a school teacher near 30, and married. We are from NJ and are considering a move to NC, perhaps somewhat near the coast. We like a variety of outdoor activities...including fishing, hunting, drag racing, and four-wheeling. We have friends in NC and have visited, but have not been near the eastern coast.

The reasons we have for leaving NJ are cost of living, lack of business opportunity (we live in South Jersey), and limited availability of the activities we enjoy.

Some questions we have are:

Where are some good school districts located?
What areas should we stay away from, (due to crime, etc)?
Does anyone know if there are job opportunities for teachers?
Cost of living? We would probably be looking for a home about $200,000 or less.

I have noticed many people on this site were originally from NJ or other northern states. What are some things we should consider? Are you happy with your move?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We are planning to visit the area, perhaps near Wilmington (but appreciate information about other areas), next month. If you need more information for a better recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks so much!
I am 31. Been here two years (Union County). Relocated from Somerset County.

What county are you in? Aside from Wilmington, what other area of the state interest you?

How soon are you looking to move?

What subject do you teach? Certain counties have extreme needs for teachers due to explosion in growth. Rural? Urban? Suburban? Obviously, just like Jersey, some subject matters are in more need than others.

Is your interest of "good" school districts professional or personal?

What kind of job would your husband seek?

What type of neighborhood interests you?

Answer these questions and I bet you'll get responses more specific to you.

Moved from Jersey, haven't looked back. Very happy here.

Good luck!

Sara

Old 10-09-2008, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 11,221 times
I teach in Middlesex co and lived in Somerset co before moving to monmouth to be close to the beach. Now I wanna move to NC and live on a lake. Seems much more tricky finding a teaching job in NC as opposed to just searching the star ledger in NJ.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post

Aside from Wilmington, what other area of the state interest you?

How soon are you looking to move?

What subject do you teach? Certain counties have extreme needs for teachers due to explosion in growth. Rural? Urban? Suburban? Obviously, just like Jersey, some subject matters are in more need than others.

Is your interest of "good" school districts professional or personal?

What kind of job would your husband seek?

What type of neighborhood interests you?

Answer these questions and I bet you'll get responses more specific to you.

Moved from Jersey, haven't looked back. Very happy here.

Good luck!

Sara
To answer some of these questions:

1.) At the moment, I am looking into the wilmington/pender county area, carteret county (both on the coast) and perhaps Charlotte. We plan on taking our first recon visit next month.

2.) As to when we'd move...not sure. I would guess 2 years... we have a house and my husband owns a business, so it is a lot to think about, plan, etc. But we are seriously looking into it.

3.) I teach elementary and am certified K-8. I am looking for "good" school districts for both personal and professional reasons. No kids just yet, but plan to in the future.

4.) My husband may look for mechanics work, drive a truck or landscape....he has lots of experience in these areas.

5.) As for neighborhoods....we like small towns. We dislike cities, but don't want to be too far out in the middle of nowhere.

With these questions answered, I'd appreciate any more insight anyone may have.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina