Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 17,467 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I currently live in Michigan. We just graduated in May 2006 and we are looking for teaching jobs. Michigan's teaching market and economy is very tight right now, so we are considering other places. I have heard that North Carolina is a nice place that is looking for teachers. I have heard good things about both Charlotte and Raleigh. With both of us being young and looking to be teachers in a good district, what would be the best place for us? Any comments or advice you can give me about Charlotte and/or Raleigh would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 10:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC13 View Post
My boyfriend and I currently live in Michigan. We just graduated in May 2006 and we are looking for teaching jobs. Michigan's teaching market and economy is very tight right now, so we are considering other places. I have heard that North Carolina is a nice place that is looking for teachers. I have heard good things about both Charlotte and Raleigh. With both of us being young and looking to be teachers in a good district, what would be the best place for us? Any comments or advice you can give me about Charlotte and/or Raleigh would be greatly appreciated!!
NC definitely needs teachers in both the Charlotte and Raleigh areas. And both areas are nice to live in. By good district I am presuming you mean schools without poverty and other social problems?? Well, those schools need the most experienced teachers they can get anyway so you shouldn't apply in Charlotte unless you are up for the challenge of possibly ending up in one of our inner city schools. Otherwise, as an inexperienced teacher your best bet would be to avoid Charlotte Mecklenburg schools until you get a few years of teaching under your belt. I will say this, we have a fantastic new school superintendent who is really commited to helping all our schools be successful. After many years of living under court ordered busing to integrate the schools we have now reverted back in the last 3 years to the concept of neighborhood schools (something all parents wanted). In the Raleigh area they seem to me to still be learning some of the lessons Charlotte has long since learned. For instance, they are about to go to all year round schools in that area and parents are livid. They would enjoy much more success in doing that if they let this be a voluntary thing instead, but no, the school board seems poised to do exactly what they want to do no matter what parents seem to want. So be sure you want to teach in year round schools or look for surrounding counties that aren't doing that. In my opinion, you might do better to start in a much smaller school system. Check out Charlotte's neighboring counties - Union, Cabarrus or Gaston.

Good luck!

Last edited by lovesMountains; 02-22-2007 at 10:44 PM..

Old 02-23-2007, 08:59 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,939 times
Is this true Raleigh people? All of Wake County School System is switching to a year-round calendar? It would be very unusual...I don't know of a system that has converted every school to year-round.

Don't be frightened away from city school systems. Every school in the system is not in the inner city, but teaching in these schools can be an extremely rewarding experience. The kids are generally so appreciative of any and everything you do for them...and it's obvious how much they need you. The schools often have more and better resources than suburban systems because of the attention and focus on them...there are lots of programs and donations that come their way. The important factor here is that these areas are usually the easiest places to get a job...

Old 02-23-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Is this true Raleigh people? All of Wake County School System is switching to a year-round calendar? It would be very unusual...I don't know of a system that has converted every school to year-round.

Don't be frightened away from city school systems. Every school in the system is not in the inner city, but teaching in these schools can be an extremely rewarding experience. The kids are generally so appreciative of any and everything you do for them...and it's obvious how much they need you. The schools often have more and better resources than suburban systems because of the attention and focus on them...there are lots of programs and donations that come their way. The important factor here is that these areas are usually the easiest places to get a job...
Copied and pasted for you

Year-Round School Foes Challenge Numbers, Threaten Suit
The Wake County school board may be facing a lawsuit over its plan for mandatory year-round schools.

[CUT - DO NOT REPOST COPYRIGHTED CONTENT!]

Last edited by Administrator; 03-27-2007 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: [CUT - DO NOT REPOST COPYRIGHTED CONTENT!]

Old 02-23-2007, 09:37 AM

Default This does not include high schools, and not ALL schools just yet....

more info from the News and Observer:

Coming to terms with year-round schools

By Valerie Marino, Staff Writer

When the year-round school calendar begins in July, many teachers across Wake County will be dealing with changes. ShaRhonda Ransome, a third-grade teacher at Carpenter Elementary in Cary, said when she started on the year-round calendar this school year one of the biggest adjustments was the required level of organization.

[CUT - DO NOT REPOST COPYRIGHTED CONTENT!]

Last edited by Administrator; 03-27-2007 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: [CUT - DO NOT REPOST COPYRIGHTED CONTENT!]

Old 02-23-2007, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 17,467 times
Default Charlotte?

So, would I be better off going to the Charlotte area than the Raleigh area? If so, what are the best places or suburbs to live in? I am not familiar with North Carolina at all, so I am just trying to get as much information as possible. I am thinking about visiting North Carolina in April (I just don't know where yet). Any information would help! Thanks!!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC13 View Post
So, would I be better off going to the Charlotte area than the Raleigh area? If so, what are the best places or suburbs to live in? I am not familiar with North Carolina at all, so I am just trying to get as much information as possible. I am thinking about visiting North Carolina in April (I just don't know where yet). Any information would help! Thanks!!
Don't be scared off of Raleigh just because of the year round school issue. It is a nice place to live. What it will come down to is personel preference I think. You must just visit both areas and see them for yourself to see where you will be most comfortable. Some facts to help you understand the two areas:

Charlotte's population is twice the size of Raleigh's. While Charlotte has a branch of the University of NC, it is more of a suitcase college and there is not much of a college feel in town like there is in the Raleigh area. While both areas are family oriented, you will most likely find more people your age right out of college in Raleigh.

Cost of living is about the same in both areas, but I believe teachers in Charlotte make the best salaries (not that they are THAT much better!). Charlotte has more to do around town, in my opinion only (no one club me for that!). We have the NFL Panthers, the NBA Bobcats, the minor league Charlotte Knights baseball team, the Charlotte Checkers Hockey team, and we are the home of NASCAR. In addition, the new US National Whitewater Rafting Center just opened last fall. Olympic training and trials will be held there in the future. It is a GORGEOUS facility which is open to the public for rafting or kayaking. They also have a huge rock climbing wall.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:37 AM

In the Charlotte area your money will go further on either rent or home prices in areas like Huntersville, Concord, Monroe or Gastonia.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 45,811 times
this is my first time posting a message. i live in CT currently and work for a major bank HQ'd in charlotte. (wasn't sure if i was allowed to name it but its not hard to come up w/ a short list) anyway- i've recently started flirting w/ the idea of relocating. i've been reading posts here for a while w/o registering and i've noticed i'm hardly the first CT/northeasterner to be having such thoughts. i have 2 school age children and their education/happiness/well-being is everything to me. i feel pretty confused as to which is the best town to consider. i'm looking to get away from having to spend $300-$400K for a house and see nice houses in towns like concord and huntersville for $175K. should i assume there's something wrong with them? its hard for a CT person to get their head around those real estate prices. thanks if advance for your input.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:07 PM

286 posts, read 946,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff72 View Post
this is my first time posting a message. i live in CT currently and work for a major bank HQ'd in charlotte. (wasn't sure if i was allowed to name it but its not hard to come up w/ a short list) anyway- i've recently started flirting w/ the idea of relocating. i've been reading posts here for a while w/o registering and i've noticed i'm hardly the first CT/northeasterner to be having such thoughts. i have 2 school age children and their education/happiness/well-being is everything to me. i feel pretty confused as to which is the best town to consider. i'm looking to get away from having to spend $300-$400K for a house and see nice houses in towns like concord and huntersville for $175K. should i assume there's something wrong with them? its hard for a CT person to get their head around those real estate prices. thanks if advance for your input.
Hey Griff,
no there is nothing wrong with houses in the $175 price range. I now live in ny, but have been researching nc for almost a year now. i have visited charlotte twice and will be moving as soon as my house sells. I am seriously looking at huntersville region.I have also looked at concord,love them both.
as your search continues you may change as to what style and sq feet,and there your price for housing will change.When i started to look my price range was around $175 as well,now it is like $225, YOU CAN GET MORE FOR YOUR $,AND THE TAXES ARE HALF FROM THE NORTH-EAST-which can allow you to spend more if you wish. I have learned a tremendous amount from this forum and these people. Please pay attention to ceartain builders-some are good and some bad. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina