Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 PM

28 posts, read 81,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
hamilton, I both agree and disagree with your points about moving. I agree with the idea that the new location is not Utopia. I left high taxes and horrible commutes and moved to less cultural options and lower pay. I left corrupt government and bad schools and moved to good ol' boy government and better schools. I left snow in winter and moved to debilitating heat in summer. But I knew going into it that I'd miss the things I loved about NoNJ and would thrill at the things I learned about in Fort Mill, SC.

My family DID move to get a fresh start - not just financially, but emotionally, mentally, physically. Our whole lives were taking a toll by living in NoNJ and we were in a downward spiral. Since our move here, things HAVE improved - and not just financially.

So NC/SC may not literally be utopia - but for our family thus far - it's pretty close.

I have had sort of the same thing happen to me. We moved here from DE. I had a dead end job back home who got bought out by someone bigger and better and I simply was not happy with the choices I had there as far as friends, family, career, exercise, housing. It was just blah anymore. Born and raised there. Had to leave my best friend and sister, and while I do miss my sister greatly I am much more happy here. To the point where I don't need anti-depressants to cope. I'm not saying that people should move to solve their mental health problems, but I'm saying you don't know what could happen when you do move. Our move was planned out very well, we had plenty of savings and jobs lined up before we came down. We don't have children (nor do we want any) so there was no uprooting involved. Just hubby and me making a decision that we would have to live with. Hey if it didn't work out we knew we had plenty of other options. Sometimes happiness is not where you are, sometimes you really do have to go out and find it. I tried changing careers back home and I made new friends, and tried different hobbies (but in an extremely small state it is hard to do these things) but none of it worked. I came here and it just felt right and things have fallen into place. Nothing is perfect, of course, but it is definitely better than when we lived back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 09:55 PM

28 posts, read 81,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Wow! I think you misunderstood me. I have done my homework about this move, I have family living in Troutman NC and yes I will be leaving family and friends here. I am scared. But I'm not dieing, I'm moving!! I'm a "people person" and make friends fairly easily. I will have frequent visits from my children and that will be quality time not quantity time. It's not for everyone for sure. But I long for greenery, less congestion from traffic, less smog, and most importantly less stress with the money situation. Yes, it is an advernture for me. One I am looking forward to.
ehhh I'm with you. I looked at our move as and adventure. It still is as I am learning new things about this place every day. I like adventure though, odd since I'm a taurus and extremely grounded. My adventures are well thought out and calculated. heheeh. I mean I guess you could get a sense of adventure from a vacation, but you still go home to the same old stuff that you left for a week. Half the time a vacation is more work anyway.

I wouldn't mind moving again to someplace new. Maybe in about 8-10 years or so. I've always wanted to move out west. Course, who knows if it will even be there in 10 years, and at this rate, I won't be able to afford a crumb there anyway, but we'll see. I've always viewed moving as fun. But I guess that is because I've lived in the same old boring small town my entire life.

And what is wrong with Gypsies anyway?

Old 02-28-2007, 06:52 AM

177 posts, read 847,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail Queen View Post
And what is wrong with Gypsies anyway?
No kidding.

My move to Raleigh with be my second cross-country move (the first was from Atlanta to Vancouver, BC). Because of what I do for a living, I cannot "contain" myself in one place. I have to go where the jobs are - so I learned very early on that although moving might be stressful and the "unknown" might be petrifying, you just have to jump on in and enjoy the adventure.

Oh, and Retail Queen: Remind me to look you up when I'm somewhat settled in Raleigh. I've a feeling you and I will get along great.

eileen

Old 02-28-2007, 11:06 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthun Yank View Post
Yet, you are a NYer now living in NC, no? Good choice?
Yes, it was a good choice.

That is because after we, as a family, had changed all we could with our lives, there were still some things we could not change based on living on Long Island.
My husband could not get a good-paying job on Long Island, in his industry, that would support our lifestyle- he had to commute 3 hours round trip a day. My commute was 1 1/2 hours round trip. To get into a good public school we would have to move into a more expensive home or move Even Further from our jobs.
These are things we tried to fix, for years.
After 9/11 and the blackout, my husband was "done" with NY city. He is not a NYer to begin with- we were there b/c of my family ties. After years of reflection & research we moved to NC in the summer of 2006.
But, for years, I could not imagine leaving the island, and I did everything in my power to try to make LI work for us, but in the end it did not.

There are challenges here in NC, but they are different challenges than the ones we faced on LI. I have written extensively about our experiences on teh NC board & I really should get back to work, so I will limit myself to writing that one thing we have, which is priceless, is the gift of more time toether.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:40 PM

26 posts, read 112,772 times
I'm moving because I just want something different for myself and my child.
I have lived in NY all of my life. After years on the same job I want something different. I want a quiet life. I never thought I would want to leave the city but now, for my daughter's sake, I want her out of here. Maybe she could have the life that I always wanted but never had. I can't afford to give her those things in NY and with the job that I have now I don't even have the time.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:47 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
As long as you remember every day to check yourself & keep to what you have decided you want. Don't over-book yourself, don't choose an overly high stress job (of course they exist here- there are tons of yuppies here too, they just don't predominate), don't move 40 or 50 miles from work, because, that is still a major commute!
If you do that you will be able to have what you want.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:53 PM

414 posts, read 1,381,295 times
Im moving for one reason only and that is the cost of housing. I work in IT and my wife and I make over 100k a year but cannot afford to buy a house on LI. Could I buy a crack house...yes but im not going to spend 400k just for that. I want to have a nice house to raise children in and NC gives me that oppturnity to do that. I love my job and where I live but the cost of it all is driving me out of the area and many young professionals like myself. So im moving to get more for my money no running away from problems.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,520 times
Isn't it interesting what brought us all to NC!? I moved from NYC to Fl at 30 and now I am 52. Now...I'm thinking of retirement! Funny how for generations families lived up north and had vacation homes in Fl. As a Floridian for 22 years, I feel privileged to be fortunate enough for a vacation home/ retirement home. When I 1st moved to So Fl I felt I was in the country...lol..compared to NYC! Now I am loving the change of seasons, the ADVENTURE, the mountains,someday I may make the mountains my permanent home...or...I am already thinking of a little getaway on the beach in the Outer Banks! Ya never know! ENJOY!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:55 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
Hmm not everything you said is true. Home prices and cost of living are definitely less expensive here. Until you live in CA and live those cost of livings first hand you really have no idea just how expensive it is there. Although groceries may be about the same all other expenses are less here. Also traffic is not traffic everywhere. There is a huge difference in 6 hours of driving a day to and from work compared to and hour a day. Having ones spouse at home at reasonable hours to actually enjoy family time, share in a meal, help get the kids to and from their extra activities etc. as well as just not being completely exhausted all the time from daily life routines that have to happen makes a huge difference in your day to day living. I can't compare NC to any other place than CA BUT comparitively there is no comparison.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:01 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Yes, it was a good choice.

I have written extensively about our experiences on teh NC board

Isn't this the NC board? Are you refering to what you have written here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina