Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:59 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I loved the Hickory area because of its people and churches. They will be very nice to you, because they will be nice to everybody; but you may not have too much in common with them.
FANTASTIC POST!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 04:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
General rule of thumb...the larger the city...the more tolerant & liberal people are....I would say the following are fairly tolerant & liberal...

Charlotte
Raleigh
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Durham
Asheville
Wilmington
Chapel Hill - Carrboro

Generally the smaller the town...the less tolerant & liberal.

Good Luck!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:21 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
General rule of thumb...the larger the city...the more tolerant & liberal people are....I would say the following are fairly tolerant & liberal...

Charlotte
Raleigh
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Durham
Asheville
Wilmington
Chapel Hill - Carrboro

Generally the smaller the town...the less tolerant & liberal.

Good Luck!
Except Carrboro and Hillsborough, both very small and very tolerant.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:32 AM

549 posts, read 1,741,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
One correction, "liberal" and "tolerant" do not always go hand in hand. There are as many intolerant liberals in this world as intolerant conservatives... maybe more.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:54 AM

535 posts, read 1,742,144 times
PH is right, they don't go hand in hand.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:46 AM

210 posts, read 507,871 times
I'm know you didn't mean this post to be condescending, but unfortunately it does sound that way. I am very close to your age, and I lived south of Boston all my life until 2 years ago, when a job offer brought me here. My ancestors settled most of Plymouth County plus much of Maine, so I am a 14th generation New Englander. The character of Massachusetts has changed immensely over the years, and I hope that doesn't happen to this wonderful state of NC.
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj22 View Post
I am considering relocating to NC from the Boston area. I am a liberal, single, 57 yo artist. I do not belong to a church; I was raised Reform Jewish, but am non-observant. I LOVE Obama. I now live in a diverse (predominantly Black and Asian) community. I work with people who are from all over the world, and are of varied ethnic backgrounds. My friends are also of different backgrounds. They love art, theater, music, comedy, literature, etc. I want to live somewhere affordable ( MA isn't for me) quiet, WARMER. I like the idea of being in a small community. I am a homebody, and do not need to be going to concerts and museums, and do not need a busy night life.
We found a much better social life here in NC than we ever had near Boston. We attend concerts at night on weekends all summer with our NC friends, have been to some really good museums, and have wonderful truly balanced diverse neighbors, including but not limited to black and Oriental. And remember, there are other warm states besides NC.

Quote:
I am concerned though that I might miss the diversity by which I'm now surrounded. I am open to the lifestyles of others but am not open to racism or being judged for not belonging to a certain church.
I'm surprised you haven't been subjected to the "reverse" racism that is prevalent there, or maybe you haven't noticed it, because it may not be as noticeable in Boston as it is in the smaller cities of MA. There is diversity here, but there are also people who stand up for their rights to say Merry Christmas and not be dominated by people who are offended by seeing a Christian slogan or picture in public. I found MA to be way over the top when it came to what they consider separation of church and state. But then in my experience, most people from MA think Christian means only Catholic. I feel free to openly practice my religion for the first time in my life, and I thank the wonderful people of NC for preserving that right.
Quote:
I am looking at the Hickory, Newton, Maiden, Conover, Morganton area. I work in Mental Health.
We absolutely loved Hickory. It is what I love about the South, but you would be much happier in the Raleigh/Durham area or Charlotte.
Quote:
It seems to me that so many people from the north are moving to NC that the attitudes will eventually be more open and tolerant and the population will be more diverse. The state seems to be on a cusp.
Please be sure to visit here before you move. You may not find it to your liking. Many of the friends we made here are NATIVE to NC for generations, and they are warm, friendly, they love my accent and I love theirs. We have learned that they can drink watah, or I can call my friend Teeyim (Tim) and I DO NOT want to see them changed. If you come here, you are the one who will need to be accepting, not the reverse.
Quote:
Am I going to be miserable in NC until things change, or if they don't?????
Well, Pete at the recycling center in a certain small town here may tell you to just go back to where you came from if you don't like it here, and he has a right to feel that way if people are trying to change his little town. After all, he was born here, and I felt that way many times in MA as I was slowly forced out of my city due to the intolerable changes that reshaped the once safe city I loved.

There is one thing that might make you cringe, and I have discussed this with my friends, who try not to do it. I speak very correct English due to some wonderful grade school teachers, and when I heard someone shout "Where you at?" in a store, I was shocked.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,681 times
Default MA to NC

I moved to the triad area from Boston Ma approx. 4 years ago and I'm still adjusting to the cultural differences!!!! NC is much different from MA! Religion is an IN YOUR FACE concept down here and being a MA catholic, I was raised to consider religion as a private realtionship between the individual and God. Religion is everywhere....work place functions, community events, athletic clubs, and even the school system. Additionally, the majority of NC residents still maintain very conservative views on race, sexuality and general politics.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,278 times
Asheville, Chapel Hill-Carrboro, and Durham. Charlotte and Raleigh are possibilities but you mentioned you want to be in a smaller city/town. All of the other towns you were looking at... you will feel out of place. Trust me.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
One correction, "liberal" and "tolerant" do not always go hand in hand. There are as many intolerant liberals in this world as intolerant conservatives... maybe more.

Somebody else gets it. wow.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 AM

8 posts, read 14,665 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I'm narrowing my search, and am looking forward to a two week visit soon.
Can anyone recommend psychiatric facilities, or hospitals that have psych units, or places that treat addictions in the areas mentioned on this post where I might find employment? I have a list, and of course have been looking on line, but it's hard sometimes to tell what's commutable, or to know what might be a good place to work.
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina