Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:32 PM

52 posts, read 184,079 times

Advertisements

Markh, good to hear the news!!!!We are moving to the WS/Clemmons area in the fall!!Where were you from in Mass?(I lived in norwood,Plainville and moving to Att 4/1 until the move to NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 08:48 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Nice update Mark.

I echo your sentiment. It's very good to be here.

I would truly be OK if I never saw snow again.

Cheers to you and the family.

Sincerely,

SL

Old 03-03-2007, 10:30 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Markh, now there is another one of your posts dh and I were looking foward to reading as u know we loved your 6th month post...lol dh might have an offer and well open house tomorrow here in NJ, so god willing we will be there soon...Maybe the Next Meeting we could join everyone...lol we are going to be living in Union County/Marvin area is that far? We are so excited...

Old 03-04-2007, 07:05 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
I've been here since May of 06 and I like about 90% of what I've seen and done so far.

One thing that strikes me as odd about the people who grew up here is that none of them seem to partake of the many local events and attractions. I'll ask my neighbors if they're going to the Christmas parade or if they're ever been to this place or that and they'll reply NO.

People, really, you've got to put the remote down and get out a little more. Greenville and Washington are only 30 miles apart but I met a woman in Washington who was in her mid 30's. I started talking to her about Greenville and she replied that she had never been there. Get real.

More later, gotta go to Lowes.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:55 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I've been here since May of 06 and I like about 90% of what I've seen and done so far.

One thing that strikes me as odd about the people who grew up here is that none of them seem to partake of the many local events and attractions. I'll ask my neighbors if they're going to the Christmas parade or if they're ever been to this place or that and they'll reply NO.

People, really, you've got to put the remote down and get out a little more. Greenville and Washington are only 30 miles apart but I met a woman in Washington who was in her mid 30's. I started talking to her about Greenville and she replied that she had never been there. Get real.

Did you mean Greenville North Carolina or South Carolina? Don't be so quick to assume things. I lived in Brooklyn and came across many who'd never seen the Statue of Liberty let alone visit, and didn't know where the Empire State building was - street-wise. Many towns have their own Christmas parades, festivals, and get-togethers and people go or they don't, depending on lots of things. You are looking at things from a newcomers perspective, wanting to embrace your new locale. Have a great time and I am happy you're enjoying the area! Just wait until the weather stays above 65 - you won't find anyone at home! You be sweet...

Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73
Did you mean Greenville North Carolina or South Carolina? Just wait until the weather stays above 65 - you won't find anyone at home! You be sweet...
Greenville, NC and the lady knew what I meant. I've been here since May of last year and they sit at home all of the time.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:36 PM

219 posts, read 853,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
So I was sitting here debating on whether I wanted to write another drunken post or not and determined that despite the numerumrous types and gramatical errors coming forth that it's probably some of my best work. So here goes....

February 28th was the 8 month mark for us being here. Wow, it has flown by.. After 44 years in Massachusetts for me it and with spring being right around the corner this past winter has really been amazing.

....Oops, sorry for the delay, my wife just revealed that she thinks her brother is gay......

Anyway... So after this winter which was not as harsh as most winters here apparently, I've got to tell you guys from up north .... IT WAS AWESOME...

We had snow once, great for the kids until they came home from sledding covered in mud. There's only so much sledding you can do in an inch of snow.. I've been told both ways about this winter. People who want us to stay say it's been colder that usual. People who want us to leave say it's been milder than usual. Only thing that I can recall was that it was mid 60's until christmas last year, then we had a cold snap for um, January, and now March 1st, it's mid 60's again. I'm not trying to convince anyone about anything but when we were living up north I would have had to shovel at least a dozen times by now whether it was an inch or a foot of snow. I was so happy to sell my snowblower I haven't had watering eyes from that bitter cold wind here once yet. I used to make fun of those people in florida in January with the snorkel coats on and it's amazing how quickly you get acclimated to the higher temps. Back in mass, 50 degrees was still speedo weather where here I found myself bundle up in my old winter coat.

So here's what makes me happy about being down here. Tonight was just an regular night, we had no plans and actually I planned on just sitting around and catching up on American Idol. Phone rings it's one neighbor looking to hang out. Wife talks to another neighbor and they're coming over also. People we met a the new bar down the street from us have been looking to hang out and they're coming over too. Kids' friends are here along with dogs, cats, rodents, kangaroos, etc.. It's a regular circus and we love it. If I count all the creatures, big and small that were here tonight I come up with 20 and it was fun. We have our neighbors trained that we we start yawning or my wifey gets rubbing against me, then it's time for everyone to leave. Tonight was a yawning night unfortunately , I hope mostly adults read this forum..

It was almost 60 today, mid 60's tomorrow and our son has his second soccer game on Sunday, the beginning of March.. I can't wait to watch it. For anyone sick of the cold up north and who doesn't want the swelter of Florida in the summer, in my mind, this is as good as it gets. Still 4 seasons but none are too extreme.

I feel really lucky that we picked a neighborhood where the people are similar to us and we can make fun our own selves and it's funny. Probably not everyones cup of tea but I never said I had any class

Back to reality. Part of our reasoning for moving here was to broaden our horizons. We had no reason to move other than to see what it was like, which is not a bad thing.. I know others are moving for jobs, family and friends but we moved just because we wanted to see if we'd like someplace better for the second half of our lives and so far we do. As long as the telephone works and I don't have to talk to my wife for that long ,what could be better. Aww, just kidding of course.

So probably not one of my more humurous posts but if you want funny you can come and see me in person. Shows start evey weeknight when the kids get home from school with their homework and then go until about 10 pm when the top of my head blows off. Kids might not think it's as funny as I do but if you can't keep your sense of humor while your blood pressure if rising then you probably don't want to meet us anyway?

Hey, so who might be interested in a get together? Not tonight but as a suggestion, I was thinking about Tailgaters, right off 77 on exit 23, maybe March 10th? Famliy friendly, decent food and close to the highway.

I'm gonna start a poll for the best meeting place and time, within the next month, where we can go and hang out for a little bit. So how about some suggestions. Highest vote wins. We'll have to set a cutoff date. We could do it at my place but my dogs must sniff all crotches and butts before you'll be allowed in.

Have a great day,

Mark
Hey Mark,
The wife and I are moving (HOPEFULLY IN ABOUT THREE MONTHS) to the Calabash / Shallotte (Brunswick County). Even if you don't live in that area.........what can you tell me about moving to NC. We are slowly dying financially and emotionally here in NJ. I can't retire and still survive here so we HAVE to do something. Being 60+ is ain't easy.
Any help you can give us about the move.................appreciate it.
Can't wait to work in my little workshop, drink a cold one (or two)(or three) screw up some project................and then laugh about it.
Denny Gormley
Woodlynne NJ

Old 03-04-2007, 08:03 PM

106 posts, read 512,945 times
just wanted to comment on the post by mark--it's great to read that some folks that have relocated to nc are happy to be there--i have been reading these post for a couple of months and have read some negatives -- we are also planning on relocating to raleigh area from upstate ny--
thanks for the humor and positive feedback
may see ya soon

Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,409 times
I'm gonna do an announcement post for this Saturday, hopefully y'all can make it to Tailgaters On Saturday, March 10th. Youngest troll has a 2:30 soccer game so we'll ether be there at 3ish with no game or 4:30ish if he has a game. I'll put directions in my main post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Well count us in as i have read enough of your silly posts and i must meet the man behind this screen. LOve your sense of humor!!
Whats interesting Mark is we moved at "midlife" for some similar reasons.Interesting
Look forward to meeting youse guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapingfool View Post
The cold, snowy, neverending winter here in Vermont is exactly why we are looking to move to NC. Any views on the best area? We have two young children, i am a preschool teacher and the hubby is a landscaper/ salesperson/1sg in the guards, jack of all trades. We were looking at the Watauga area. Ps. your drunken english is pretty good!
Thanks.. I hated that winter seemed to last about 5 months. Seems like it's almost over here and spring is on the way. Personally I think hubby could make a killing down here as a landscaper. Most all the new construction is left as a barren lot with maybe one tree and a couple of shrubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
No degree would be speedo weather for me.

Count me in as well! I'd love to get together to meet everyone!

BxRosie
Speedo is a deterrent to keep neighbors from looking in my windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
How will we know you? Broken shovel? Galoshes? Patriots hat?
Drunk, slurring, salsa in the beard, mustard down the front of my shirt and I'll wear my bright red Red Sox had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr View Post
march 3rd and was doing yard work and cutting the grass.it almost seems un natural. came down from mass. last sept.
Nice, wait until summer it's almost vacation like weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friars View Post
Markh, good to hear the news!!!!We are moving to the WS/Clemmons area in the fall!!Where were you from in Mass?(I lived in norwood,Plainville and moving to Att 4/1 until the move to NC
We lived in shrewsbury for 10 years and then most recently in Sutton for the last 5. Good luck with your move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I would truly be OK if I never saw snow again.
I got sentimental for all of about 10 minutes when we got that inch here. Lucky we moved a couple of sleds with us down here. I get to move them around the garage all year round and then put them away again after the kids use em for 10 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Markh, now there is another one of your posts dh and I were looking foward to reading as u know we loved your 6th month post...lol dh might have an offer and well open house tomorrow here in NJ, so god willing we will be there soon...Maybe the Next Meeting we could join everyone...lol we are going to be living in Union County/Marvin area is that far? We are so excited...
Best wishes for your sale and move. Union county is right against Meclenburg county, just a hop skip and 1 hour of traffic away. I hope that we can plan to meet and venture out to other areas at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post

I'll have to admit that I'm one of em. So much stuff to see and do down here but other than venturing to Mooresville to get our licenses, Charlotte to the registry and airport and Cornelius to have a drink on the lake, we really haven't done all that much. It's been nice to relax a little bit and enjoy our new house and neighbors. We're hoping this summer to do a little bit of traveling and hit the coast at least.

See you at lowes, I go there about every other day

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnny View Post
just wanted to comment on the post by mark--it's great to read that some folks that have relocated to nc are happy to be there--i have been reading these post for a couple of months and have read some negatives -- we are also planning on relocating to raleigh area from upstate ny--
thanks for the humor and positive feedback
may see ya soon
There's always negatives and I can list some too but choose not too. Most of the negatives apply to just about every state anyway. I'd rather focus on the good and what in our lives has improved. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:07 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
Youngest troll has a 2:30 soccer game so we'll ether be there at 3ish with no game or 4:30ish if he has a game. I'll put directions in my main post. ...............Drunk, slurring, salsa in the beard, mustard down the front of my shirt and I'll wear my bright red Red Sox had.
Dressed like that at the soccer match!!!!! The soccer elite will ostracize you and make you bring the oranges for snack time!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina