Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 72,947 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm starting my search for a good retirement area in North Carolina or surrounding states. Ideally, I'd like to live WF on a lake, good safe/pretty area, possibly gated. Within an hour's drive of excellent doctors' and health facilities (many medical problems), and near cultural events/ university. Cost is a concern, I'm looking for a single family home up to 400K, but would prefer less. I don't really want a condo, but will consider it. I do want a dockable waterfront and a nice view (no canal).
Can anyone get me started in the right direction? I'll also consider coastal areas, if the view is nice and storm surges won't knock down my house!

I thought about Florida, but am concerned about all the hurricanes/floods, etc. when living on the coast.

I currently live in Texas, and have looked at the Highland Lakes. Prices have tripled since 2003, and really haven't budged (I think they're grossly overpriced here), and the lakes are tiny, polluted, and overcrowded anyway. Besides, Texas is drying up (drought), and is rather flat and ugly. Cost of living otherwise is pretty good.
Heard a lot of the lakes of Tennessee as well, but don't know if those are too isolated.
Any hints, suggestions, experiences would be greatly welcomed! Especially where value-for-money is good right now.
Additionally, if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know!
Thanks!!!
Cobalt Blue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 03:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltblue View Post
Hi! I'm starting my search for a good retirement area in North Carolina or surrounding states. Ideally, I'd like to live WF on a lake, good safe/pretty area, possibly gated. Within an hour's drive of excellent doctors' and health facilities (many medical problems), and near cultural events/ university. Cost is a concern, I'm looking for a single family home up to 400K, but would prefer less. I don't really want a condo, but will consider it. I do want a dockable waterfront and a nice view (no canal).
Can anyone get me started in the right direction? I'll also consider coastal areas, if the view is nice and storm surges won't knock down my house!

I thought about Florida, but am concerned about all the hurricanes/floods, etc. when living on the coast.

I currently live in Texas, and have looked at the Highland Lakes. Prices have tripled since 2003, and really haven't budged (I think they're grossly overpriced here), and the lakes are tiny, polluted, and overcrowded anyway. Besides, Texas is drying up (drought), and is rather flat and ugly. Cost of living otherwise is pretty good.
Heard a lot of the lakes of Tennessee as well, but don't know if those are too isolated.
Any hints, suggestions, experiences would be greatly welcomed! Especially where value-for-money is good right now.
Additionally, if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know!
Thanks!!!
Cobalt Blue

Start researching Lake James in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains. To me, this is THE most beautiful lake in all of NC. You'd be about 40 minutes to Asheville for good medical care. Not sure you are going to find a dock on the waterfront in your price range there, but you might get close. I just love that lake view with the mountain backdrop - bet you will too Check out the pics on this site! Lake James NC ACC-HRB Home Page

Old 01-25-2009, 10:54 PM

Hi LM -
I'll check this out! Thank you! My Aunt used to live in Asheville...loved the artist's community. How's the weather up there? Harsh winters? Snow? Do you live there? Is there any particular spot on lake James that is more populated by the 40 + crowd?
Thanks! CB

Old 01-25-2009, 11:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltblue View Post
Hi LM -
I'll check this out! Thank you! My Aunt used to live in Asheville...loved the artist's community. How's the weather up there? Harsh winters? Snow? Do you live there? Is there any particular spot on lake James that is more populated by the 40 + crowd?
Thanks! CB
NC doesn't have harsh winters except at our highest elevations (which aren't very populated). That area may see snow once or twice a year

I don't live there, only visit the area often. There is a wonderful little state park there that I like for being able to swim in the lake in the summer, Lake James State Park. The entire area would most likely be the over 40 crowd - it's not a "party lake", more a 2nd home or retirement area

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/laja/main.php

Old 01-26-2009, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 23,932 times
I live at lake James. Its a nice scenic lake. many neighborhoods surrounding the area, a few are gated. There is basically no crime at all. the weather is great. it is directly between medium sized cities of Hickory and Asheville about 40 or 45 minutes to each. it is also 10 or 20 minutes from the city of Morganton which is smaller but still sorta nice. So there would be a lot of driving to get to places you would want to go. theres not much commercial development at the lake, i dont know if thats good or bad for you. But the lake is also planning on incorporating into the village of lake james. The only places at the lake besides the many neighborhoods are the lake james restaurant, a gas station, a fire department, a few camps, the state park, hiking trails, and some nice real estate buildings. There is a lot of commercial land for sale that could be developed. The South Pointe neighborhood is more the high end of residential and will probably be expensive but is really nice and developing. East Shores is also really nice and is more developed. Most people who live here are retired, however theres still a good crowd of young people like me. Also most people who live here aren't from around here and are from various parts of the country and are also really nice and welcoming. If you want more information on the neighborhoods check out the lake james real estate website which gives maps, photos, and attractions around this area.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:06 PM

280 posts, read 1,136,088 times
Take a look at Seven Lakes, NC. It's mostly gated, relatively inexpensive, right down the road from Pinehurst (major plus if you're in to golfing), and about an hour and a half from Chapel Hill, Raligh and Winston Salem and about two hours from Charlotte. And Pinehurst has a decent hospital and medical services too. It is a little secluded and may not have the cultural/university events you're looking for though.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:52 AM

Thanks so much, everyone, for your advice! I'm looking up everything! Blessings, Cobaltblue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina