Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 13,370 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are considering moving to Fayetville, NC in August. He received a job offer at a church that could be a good option for us financially.

I am still finishing my Graphic Design degree (half way through - 2 years to go) and will need to find a school there that I can finish at. I'll probably end up going to UNC which means we'll be a commuting couple...

Our other option is Denton, TX, Although I'm not sure if we'll be living in Denton or Dallas. The university I would like to attend is in Denton.

Now that you have some background info...

I'd like to know what Fayetteville is like for a young couple (I'm 20, he is 22) neither of us in the military though, of course, we support them.

Can anyone offer opinions, advice, or a description of what it is like for a civillian couple to live in Fayetteville? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
Not much different than a military couple except you will be together more. We have shopping, theaters (movies and plays), museums, coffee houses, semi pro sports (hockey, arena football, baseball), amateur sports, civic groups, church groups, festivals, concerts, etc. All depends on what you are interested in. I can add in a drag strip, car clubs (old and new), motorcycling events, shooting ranges, archery club (I'm the VP), boating on the Cape Fear river, fishing, couple hours to the beach and a few more to the mountains.

Come check it out. Fayetteville is moving forward and trying to break it's old seedy military town image. It is a work in progress but it is heading in the right direction. A lot folks who decide they don't like Fayetteville never bother to get out and get involved.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 13,370 times
That sounds really great. I have lived in Oklahoma my whole life and have only been to the ocean a few times, so living near it would be a dream come true.

That all sounds great. We definitely like to be involved so it may be a better fit than what most people have described to me. Thanks! This restored a little bit of my confidence in considering it an option. We're going to be visiting sometime in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see that part of the community!

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:47 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
A big thing that we like about Fayetteville is that it is close to things to. You have the beach about an hour to 1 1/2 hrs away, DC is about 5-6 hours so is Biltmore and there are several other places that are a few hours away. Plus its also close but not too close to home for us which is a good thing.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,130 times
Hey Carolann, in addition to what has already been said, Fayetteville has a very active church community, with many different denominations who work together very well. Several churches are quite large (my church, Manna Church is over 4,000) and many of the churches support each other thru different organizations and mission work in the local community (Operation InAsMuch). If you do ultimately decide to come here, I think your future husband and you will find the faith community very friendly and united.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:36 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,458 times
There are a lot of posts here about how bad Fayetteville is, and I'm glad I didn't find these boards until AFTER I moved to Fayetteville, or I'd have been much more hesitant to make the move. It was a pleasant place to live, GREAT parks, nature trails etc. And when you get away from the seedy areas (every city has them) it can be quite nice. Had my husband's job worked out I'm sure I'd have been happy to stay there. We were just back a couple of weeks ago, and one thing I really miss about being there is the people, we had made some great friends (military) and miss them.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,261 times
I am moving to Fayetteville for a job at a hospital. After reading all the horrible things people had to say about Fayetteville, it's safe to say I'm terrified. I'm a 24 year-old female and not at all interested in being near crime, but would like to be close to work. I know every town has "good" and "bad" areas so I was wondering which areas are safest for me to rent an apartment and which to avoid. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2010, 05:51 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycp View Post
I am moving to Fayetteville for a job at a hospital. After reading all the horrible things people had to say about Fayetteville, it's safe to say I'm terrified. I'm a 24 year-old female and not at all interested in being near crime, but would like to be close to work. I know every town has "good" and "bad" areas so I was wondering which areas are safest for me to rent an apartment and which to avoid. Thanks!

Avoid Cambridge Arms apartments on McPherson Church Road and anywhere on Bragg Blvd. Oh, and avoid the Walmart on Skibo (there's another Walmart on Ramsey & one on Raeford Rd) no matter what!!! Other than that, you should be good!

There is NO need to be terrified of coming to Fayetteville. I am a 38-yo female, and I've lived here my entire life. I have NEVER felt afraid in town by myself.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
Which hosptial? I might be able to recommend somewhere close.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,960 times
I grew up in Fayetteville and I would not recommend the city to anyone considering to move there.

I have been to Denton TX and I think that city is a lot better than dumpy-a** FAY。

Faabala is painting this picture like FAY is the greatest place to live. It's not. There is nothing to do in FAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina