Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:30 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times

Advertisements

Question...

My wife and I are tired of South Florida and I have often suggested NC as a potential place to relocate. I love the scenery up there and the climate is pretty ideal too.

However...

1) My wife is very liberal and I am somewhat liberal (I agree with conservatives on some issues).

2) I am white, but my wife is darker skinned / Latin (heard that mixed race marriages are frowned upon in some places)

3).Both my wife and I are agnostic.

Would you consider the points above to be problematic? Would it prevent us from making friends and would we be stared at a lot and frowned upon for not going to church?

I just want some honest replies...to help me either rule NC out completely, or to consider it as a viable option.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 05:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
No one cares about your religion or ethnicity except (perhaps) in smaller towns where everyone knows each other. In those communities, you may not be seen as "fitting in" but it would be more b/c of your agnosticism and liberal views than ethnicity. Any of the metropolitan areas - no one will care - most will not notice either your views or your ethnicity.

It also depends on what you mean by "liberal." If you want folks to talk politics with - that is one thing - but really - how would anyone know what your views are unless you state them? It may be you would just not be comfortable being in areas where people hold more conservative views on things like gun control and entitlement programs. As far as meeting other folks who espouse the same philosophy - in the metro areas, people are pretty diverse in their beliefs.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
No just choose between Charlotte and Raleigh then pick which suit both of you

decide
next to is being close to the mountains or coast is important to you

Old 07-27-2009, 05:53 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
I agree with Ani and Sunny. The larger cities are more tolerant. There are also many ways to deflect answers to questions you aren't comfortable with.

And it depends on where you want to live. Boone and Asheville are also places to consider but they are in the mountains.

I think you will find any city or area in the country to be diverse and so it is in North Carolina.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No one cares about your religion or ethnicity except (perhaps) in smaller towns where everyone knows each other. In those communities, you may not be seen as "fitting in" but it would be more b/c of your agnosticism and liberal views than ethnicity. Any of the metropolitan areas - no one will care - most will not notice either your views or your ethnicity.

It also depends on what you mean by "liberal." If you want folks to talk politics with - that is one thing - but really - how would anyone know what your views are unless you state them? It may be you would just not be comfortable being in areas where people hold more conservative views on things like gun control and entitlement programs. As far as meeting other folks who espouse the same philosophy - in the metro areas, people are pretty diverse in their beliefs.
Well, for one, both my wife and I are pro-gun, so we're not liberal in that sense. I don't advertise my political or religious beliefs, but obviously, when it comes to making friends, it's easier when you find a few people who have a similar train of thought.

My wife is more afraid of the racial discrimination thing than I am, because she has a friens who lived in NC and claimed that she was discriminated against (she's white but Cuban) and that she heard the "N" word a lot.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I agree with Ani and Sunny. The larger cities are more tolerant. There are also many ways to deflect answers to questions you aren't comfortable with.

And it depends on where you want to live. Boone and Asheville are also places to consider but they are in the mountains.

I think you will find any city or area in the country to be diverse and so it is in North Carolina.
My wife actually has a good friend in Winston-Salem. Is that a place where a mixed race couple would have few problems "fitting in"?

Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I don't know when white/latin was considered mixed race (my own sister-in-law is Peruvian) but folks in Winston-Salem won't consider in an issue.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I don't know when white/latin was considered mixed race (my own sister-in-law is Peruvian) but folks in Winston-Salem won't consider in an issue.
Sorry for the confusion, but I am white and my wife is dark skinned / Latin.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
I live near Burlington-right in the middle between Winston-Salem and Raleigh. We are a smaller town and I have seen quite a few multi-racial families around our area and we seem to be quite diverse around here. So I would think you would "fit in" for lack of better phrasing. Oh, and the majority of hispanics in this area are Mexican.

Winston-Salem is great. We looked there but wanted a smaller town type of area.

I would say that you could go anywhere and find prejudiced people. They do exist. But as I said, I have not seen it around my area.

By the way, we moved here two years ago from Ft. Lauderdale. Way too expensive and crowded for us.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I live near Burlington-right in the middle between Winston-Salem and Raleigh. We are a smaller town and I have seen quite a few multi-racial families around our area and we seem to be quite diverse around here. So I would think you would "fit in" for lack of better phrasing. Oh, and the majority of hispanics in this area are Mexican.

Winston-Salem is great. We looked there but wanted a smaller town type of area.

I would say that you could go anywhere and find prejudiced people. They do exist. But as I said, I have not seen it around my area.

By the way, we moved here two years ago from Ft. Lauderdale. Way too expensive and crowded for us.
The bottom line is that my wife always rules out NC, but for some reason, I am strangely drawn to it.

What I am afraid of though is discrimination -- dirty looks, racist remarks and rudeness, even in the small towns. I could live in one of the major metropolitan areas, but what if we felt like taking a drive and stopping off at one of the smaller towns? Would we experience racism, bad stares, etc? That's what worries me, to be honest.

We were in MA recently and loved it, especially the fact that even in smaller towns, no one gave us any issues and although people weren't openly friendly, as in "have a nice day!", people left us alone and didn't stare (which is all I ask for). NC's climate would suit us far more than MA and the scenery is beautiful, but the potential deal breaker is racism. My wife's friend lived in NC and claims that she heard the "N" word all the time (I don't know if she's exaggerating, or telling the truth, hence the fact that I've asked for advice from people who actually live/work there).

I agree about Fort Lauderdale BTW, but it is nowhere near as bad as Miami. We are both very tired of Miami...the rudeness, endless heat and humidity and the crazy drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina