Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,982 times

Advertisements

Thats great. No one has any business giving their toddlers chips/cookies/soft drinks as part of a lunch or any meal. Thats how you get obese disgusting kids walking around that turn into the morbidly obese diabetic hypertensive adults that are around in droves here in NC. Be a better parent than that! Instead of chips, give them some carrots or celery and peanut butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
I do not have children, never have, so I am completely out of touch with schools and meal regulations. However, I have to agree with freshjiv, though not with such strong verbiage... potato chips with a toddler's lunch???? What an unhealthy way to establish early eating habits.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
After raising two children and doing the job I do for over 15 years I will tell it is hard to come up with ideas for lunches and dinners. And over a child's lifetime that's a lot of meals. Throw in picky eaters, food allergies and whatever else may be going on and the job just got harder.

When you are talking a toddler, you are not talking a bag of chips. They don't get the amount of food we get. While it is absolutely the best thing to teach your child good eating habits, allowing them chips, cookies, ice cream et al will not do them harm. On the other depriving them of those things when they see others having them will just make them want them. And they will find a way to get them.

They do learn by watching and I have found out over the years if you talk to them and get them involved with food choices they are pretty good about eating the right food.

Giving the child chips isn't going to turn them into an overweight diabetic. Giving them good food choices and making sure they get out and play and move around will offset any "bad" foods they might have. My kids had chips and are just fine.

It's all part of being a parent. You do the best you can.

Cut the OP some slack. It's not easy. And this won't scar the child for life.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:07 PM

797 posts, read 3,580,982 times
^sorry, don't give me the "picky eating habits" line. Its all about what kinds of food you expose your kids to early on. For example, our 3 year old loves hummus, falafel, every vegetable, and never has access to chips or soft drinks. They prefer wheat over white bread (white bread is the equivalent of iceburg lettuce, but even worse for you b/c of the low glycemic index). Its all about exposing your kids to numerous foods over and over. When wanting something sweet, the kid will ask for grapes or a banana. Its all about how you raise them to interact and be with food. Do not let your kids b/c obese Little Debbie drones b/c its cheaper and less hassle!!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:08 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
I'm sorry the picky eating habits line bothers you. I am talking about what I have seen in all the years I have done this job.

If you start them eating healthy in infancy and keep up with it you have done your job. But don't tell me there aren't picky eaters out there. I've worked in two places and seen it. Yes, they are the younger ones where it's too early to reason with them or explain things to them. I have seen kids put on PediAsure by their doctors to supplement their diets. It doesn't doesn't have anything to do with junk food either. They don't want to eat much of anything. And by far the worst thing you can do with a child is make what they eat a major issue. Kids do stress out and that tactic will get you nowhere.

Letting children have something other than carrots and celery is not going to turn them into diabetic hypertensive adult. A constant diet of fast food and little Debbie's will do that.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 PM

267 posts, read 1,123,545 times
My mom gave me chips now and then and somehow I lived to be a mid-40s, height-weight proportional healthy individual. I even had Little Debbie's from time to time.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Maybe congress can pass a law that makes potato chips an accepted 'fruit' serving. That would balance out the whole tomato-ketchup/vegetable fiasco.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I'm sorry the picky eating habits line bothers you. I am talking about what I have seen in all the years I have done this job.

If you start them eating healthy in infancy and keep up with it you have done your job. But don't tell me there aren't picky eaters out there. I've worked in two places and seen it. Yes, they are the younger ones where it's too early to reason with them or explain things to them. I have seen kids put on PediAsure by their doctors to supplement their diets. It doesn't doesn't have anything to do with junk food either. They don't want to eat much of anything. And by far the worst thing you can do with a child is make what they eat a major issue. Kids do stress out and that tactic will get you nowhere.

Letting children have something other than carrots and celery is not going to turn them into diabetic hypertensive adult. A constant diet of fast food and little Debbie's will do that.
I agree. I work with kids as well and believe me, they will find a way to get their hands on the forbidden stuff. And there are picky kids who, short of force feeding them, won't eat certain fruits or vegetables. My niece pretty much only eats meat and potatoes and there was a little guy in one of our classes that had texture issues. He didn't like soft foods, only things that were crunchy like cereal, crackers, sun chips...he also has some sort of learning disability that borders on Autistic so that was a factor as well. Many of my friends are the type who don't give their kids ANY junk food at all, or at least it started out that way. One of them decided that denying them would only make them crave it more, so she goes by the "too much of anything isn't good for you" adage.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:29 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
^sorry, don't give me the "picky eating habits" line. Its all about what kinds of food you expose your kids to early on. For example, our 3 year old loves hummus, falafel, every vegetable, and never has access to chips or soft drinks. They prefer wheat over white bread (white bread is the equivalent of iceburg lettuce, but even worse for you b/c of the low glycemic index). Its all about exposing your kids to numerous foods over and over. When wanting something sweet, the kid will ask for grapes or a banana. Its all about how you raise them to interact and be with food. Do not let your kids b/c obese Little Debbie drones b/c its cheaper and less hassle!!

a little debbie or a few cookies might do you some good and calm you down !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina