Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 17,823 times

Advertisements

We are an interracial couple looking to move to the Mooresville area of NC. Living in NY we have had no problems what so ever I was wondering how things were down there in regards to the interracial marriages.

Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Washington View Post
We are an interracial couple looking to move to the Mooresville area of NC. Living in NY we have had no problems what so ever I was wondering how things were down there in regards to the interracial marriages.

Andrew

I don't think you'll have any problems.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:

Andrew
No worries

Old 04-26-2007, 02:45 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,927 times
Some folks might do a double take but that's about it.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
You should have no problems. We have many mixed race couples/families at our church.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:54 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Guess it does show the 'concept' that many northerners have of us southerners. Sounds like a bigoted question asking if there is bigotry in the south.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they would ask, but I can't help but see the bigotry in the question at the same time.

Yep, there are some bigoted backwoods hating southerners, but the south does not have a monopoly on them either.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 17,823 times
Default To Asheville Native

I think you were reading too much into my question. Do you understand that I am black male married to a white woman. Asking if we will be harrassed is not bigotry but precaution. I just took offense to that comment because you really have no basis to say that.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:37 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
Andrew Washington,
I totally agree with you. As a white woman with a black son I had questions before moving to the area as well. Questions, not accusations!! I have been places where we have had negative comments, so asking seemed entirely appropriate to me. Some areas are more accepting than others.
Nellie

Old 04-27-2007, 07:39 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
I think you were reading too much into my question. Do you understand that I am black male married to a white woman. Asking if we will be harrassed is not bigotry but precaution. I just took offense to that comment because you really have no basis to say that.
I did not mean to offend, but being a southerner, and having a huge influx of arrogant northerners move in to the area, and talk down to everyone of southern heritage leads me to believe that your view of southerners is biased, considering us backwood inbreeding racists.

I drive a pickup truck (a nice one, clean, no loud exhaust, etc.) and had some rich ***** (for lack of anything else to call her) turn around so she could tell me that "I didn't move down here so you damn rednecks could work on your damn trucks on the side of the road" then roar off in her Mercedes 600 something with NY plates. What I was actually doing was changing a flat tire on my truck.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:11 AM

549 posts, read 2,384,927 times
There is racism/bigotry everywhere you go, even in ultra-liberal cities. Just manifested differently, that's all. It is not just exclusive to the south. Sometimes people still think the south still has the attitude it had prior to the civil rights era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina