Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:48 AM

21 posts, read 345,409 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old black single female who lives in the urban area of NJ. I have a Bachelors degree in Psy, no particular experience in any field but willing to do anything excluding sales. I hate my job, I'm lonely, have been running into the worst men, and I do not have a concrete plan for the future. I would love to relocate to a place where I can find a decent job, find an adventure and meet better male prospects. Its almost impossible to survive in NJ if you do not have a Masters degree. I have 2.5 jobs and work 7 days a week so that I can afford a social life and my bills. I'm tired, desperate and need a change. Please tell me that there is hope and the armed forces isn't my only hope. I would love a place a little slower than NY/ NJ but with a metro area and great night life. I would love warmer climate and lower cost of living. Any suggestions? In my research I have come up with Charlette, NC. Is this ideal an ideal place for single black woman? I read somewhere that Mecklenburg County is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 AM

198 posts, read 910,311 times
I think you are right. I am relocating next month to Raleigh. Charlotte has a bit more 'city' feel and I hear it is very good for blacks. I was just reading Black Enterprise (blackenterprise.com) online and they have a top cities list for Best Places for African Americans. I am 30, a teacher and mother of a 6 year old and I am tired of Indianapolis. I began researching Raleigh about 9 mos ago and I chose it because it seems more family friendly than Charlotte, but I am close enough to Charlotte to party and come home.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:38 PM

87 posts, read 329,195 times
I'm also a AA female teacher who is relocating to charlotte. I just bought a townhome in SW charlotte and there are some really nice looking educated black males in my new community. I love the feel of Charlotte, its a great little city, nice vibe but not too big.

Come on down!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:50 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Charlotte (the city itself) is about 64% black or close to that. Mecklenburg is ok, but one of the burbs may be better.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 AM

21 posts, read 345,409 times
Thanks alot I am going to arrange a vist

Old 06-07-2007, 04:49 PM

67 posts, read 227,781 times
Charlotte and Raleigh both have their advantages and disadvantages. Raleigh’s city planners over the past 10-15 years have viewed the city as “just the state’s capital†Charlotte on the other hand has been competing with Atlanta by enticing potential relocaters more bang for the buck. If you like clubbing, see a NBA or NFL game then I would move to Charlotte.

Raleigh on the other hand in more laid back, and it’s closer to the Atlantic shores than Charlotte. To me it’s a mixture of a college town and a small city. Raleigh is part of the “triangleâ€, which also includes Cary and Durham. Raleigh is more or less “the cityâ€, certain parts of Cary/Apex/Holly Springs can be considered the “suburbsâ€, and Durham is mostly a “city that once wasâ€.

Jobs are a hit or miss, but if you remain flexible and strong willed you will eventually find something that pays well, but you’ll going to have to flexible and willing to looking outside the norm.

Finding better male prospects is going to be like any place else. One of the good things is Raleigh and Charlotte has a high relocating population, so things are a bit more diverse in terms of finding that special someone.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,633 times
I'm looking to move by the end of may 2017 and looking for location where my 2 boys and I will feel safe and have nice living area and schools not sure of what and where this is all new to me been in St Louis Mo all my life now looking for something new. basically starting completely over any advice. please help I was looking in the Raleigh and charlotte area of NC if you know of any good areas always open

Old 10-10-2016, 09:34 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhittier1979 View Post
basically starting completely over any advice. please help I was looking in the Raleigh and charlotte area of NC if you know of any good areas always open
You might want to look at the Raleigh/Durham/Cary subforum.

With the racial tensions in Charlotte over police shootings, you might feel safer in the Raleigh area. In fact Cary is one of the safest cities in the country. It can be expensive, but the schools are very good.

Depending on your job skills, Winston-Salem might be another option. Medical, education and retail jobs shold be available.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:51 AM

464 posts, read 523,193 times
Raleigh/The Triangle is just as "city" as Charlotte. The only difference is Charlotte city proper has way more land to work with than Raleigh city proper.

I definitely feel Raleigh has the better suburbs, and is more unique.

They're both great for black people.

Either one will be a great choice.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:27 PM

241 posts, read 338,826 times
Looks like Raleigh and Charlotte are both included on the Black Enterprise list. I live in the Triad, an area with smaller cities. Charlotte is definitely more urban traditionally. Great nightlife, sports teams, and shopping. Raleigh is definitely not as urbane, but it's not the sleepy town it once was. It does have a college feel. My older brother lives there with his family and is doing well. There seems to be a nice mix of things for singles and families in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina