Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 12:33 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tconyers View Post
I'm a 58 yr old single african american woman that wants to relocate to the charlotte nc area or surrounding areas, somewhere that's safe since I'll be moving alone, I don't have transportation at the moment so I need access to the transit line and an area that's not too expensive, so it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me, thank you.
You'd probably get more and better responses if you start your own thread in the Charlotte sub-forum. If you'll be looking for work, you might want to focus on the job first and then look for housing close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 06:40 AM

275 posts, read 330,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post
I think the Triangle area (Raleigh/Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill) has a lot to offer. You might pose this question there.

Durham has a historically vibrant African American community with a lot of black-owned businesses, etc. NC A&T, a historically black college, is there. Durham is also home to Duke, and the Durham Bulls, etc. Housing is cheaper in Durham than in many other parts of the triangle (notably Chapel Hill). It has a vibrant and growing arts community and a revitalized downtown with the ballpark and performing arts center, etc. Many people perceive Durham to have a crime problem and there are bad and poorer parts of town and crime does happen, but for the most part if you stay out of the bad parts of town and don't join a gang you'll be fine. I have many friends with young kids who live there and love it.

Chapel Hill is a very nice college town.

Raleigh is a bigger city, but there are many smaller suburbs around it. Cary has a reputation as safe and clean.

hth, and ask in the particular forum if you're interested in a particular region.
NC A&T is in Greensboro, your're thinking of North Carolina Central University.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:17 PM

926 posts, read 828,850 times
I recommend Spring Lake (North of Fay)/Fayetteville Area. Spring Lake is a Historic African-American city of about 20,000 or so and suburb of both Fayetteville and Fort Bragg, which should have the majority of the amenities you are looking for. Spring Lake isn't the prettiest town, but it has some proper areas that are newly development. Spring Lake is majority African-American and I would presume based on it's location and housing costs, a share of military folks.

I would also recommend Raeford (South of Fay). Raeford is a very diverse suburb of Fayetteville and very noticeably nicer. The town of about 5,000 residents has 2 hospitals, is located inside Hoke County off Fayetteville Road (Raeford Road in Fayetteville). Lower cost of living than Spring Lake and finding a $500 apartment in either suburb I mentioned should be very easy to do so if it's 1 bedroom. It's pretty much the cheaper version of Southern Pines and Pinehurst.

Fayetteville itself, is a historically diverse city, one of the universities in the city, Fayetteville State University, is historically black. Housing is fairly cheap depending on the area you are looking into. It's got multiple 10 million dollar senior citizens underway in the city, It's got a vibrant downtown with it's own Tourist District (underway), Historic District, as well as business district off Person Street. Fayetteville has a share of Bingo Clubs, Public Golf Courses (Kings Grant), and very many parks, hiking trails, rock climbing, churches, cinemas, restaurants. Fayetteville is home to the Crown Colliseum, while it may not be as good as DPAC, it does have many performances their, notably this month being Steve Harvey's visit and also the Price is Right will be hosted there very soon. Fayetteville will have something to match DPAC by 2020 though. It may seem to have a crime problem, but those generally stick to the same area in the city (Murchison Road, Bragg BLVD), as long as you stick to an area well developed, you'll enjoy it. Fayetteville area is located 1.5 hours to the beach, 45 minutes from the state Capital, an 4.5 hours to Washington DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina