Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 PM

123 posts, read 409,149 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Nebraska but North Dakota is one of the states I have yet to visit on my travels. What are some of the best tourist attractions in North Dakota worth seeing? I know ND is not a state many people think about visiting but I'd love to say I've been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,651 times
Here'a a list I made for the Valley City area. I'll look for other lists I've made for other parts of the state.

- - - Valley City - - -

***Drive the National Scenic Byway, visit the Barnes Co Museum (by far the nicest 'small town' museum around) where they have travelling exhibits (from Smithsonian & other places) as well as the usual stuff

***Check our the neat & unusual shops...antiques, 2nd-hand, photo studios, pottery, etc

***Don't miss 'The Quilted Ceiling' (fabrics, kitchenwares, gifts, misc) where each of the 2' x 4' ceiling tiles is painted in a different quilt block pattern!

***Eat at Another Time - a small cafe in a 1920's house, Dutton's Parlor-an ice cream shop & coffee Bar, the Viking Room (Good soups!), The Chinese Palace (best oriental food around...better than anything in Fargo or Bismarck!), or City Lights supperclub. On Saturdays, join everyone at the VFW for $2 burgers, or roast beef or pork sandwiches or $2.25 cheeseburgers.

***Stop at the Rosebud Visitor's Center to see the 'Rosebud', a 1880's railroad superintendant's private car with it's original wood furniture, fold up bunk beds and heavy brass light fixtures, kitchen, dining room, and bathrooms (like the private rail cars on the 'Wild, Wild West' TV show & Movies!) There are also displays telling about our area and about the Sheyenn Valley National Scenic Byway. This is also where to go to ask questions about the town or to puck up maps & brochures pertaining to the area.

***In summer, walk or drive the bridge tour - we have 14 bridges in town and several are unusual or one-of-a kind bridges, and a couple are on the National Historic Register.

***The Winter Show, Ralley in the Valley, Soapbox Derby, Christmas in the Valley, Community Days, Sheyenne Shuffle Half Marathon, Artists Crawl, High School & College Homecoming parades, Rodeos & Horse shows nearly every weekend in summer, Craft Shows, Farmers Market 3 times a week, etc, etc, etc.

***Hike the North Country Trail, hunt, snow mobile, fish, waterski (Lake Ashtabula is 15 minutes away), downhill ski (at Fort Ransom 40 miles away)

***Go Geo-Caching - there's dozens of caches within 50 miles!

***Camp in town or at one of the campgrounds up at the Lake

***Stay at one of the unique lodging choices - The Presedent's House Guest Inn, Three Oaks Guest Inn, Lakeside Bed & Breakfast, or Sheyenne Riverbend Farm, and have a nice supper at City Lights Supper Club or at Sabir's.

I know there's more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 PM

231 posts, read 736,620 times
Just to say you've been here? That seems like a very irrational justification.

The west has a few attractions, the east is pretty bland. If hockey interests you, I hear that the Ralph Engelstad arena in Grand Forks is pretty neat.

For what it's worth, I don't know anyone that stays in-state when taking vacations, so you may want to rethink your choice to come here.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:47 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,680 times
Go to Medora(western ND) beautiful scenery and there is plenty to do and see over a weekend.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...e=1&p=14719130

Old 06-22-2010, 05:45 PM

205 posts, read 729,488 times
Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairierose View Post
Theodore Roosevelt National Park
+1. The area has gotten a lot of rain this year and is very, very green. I'm from Montana and I have never seen the badlands this green. Go while it's green, not when its brown and burnt.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
I too think you should hit up western North Dakota first. Start with Bismarck and hit up the Heritage Center and capitol. Then head west towards Dickinson-Medora areas and visit the south Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National park...then head north towards Williston-Watford City and go throught he north unit of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park...also hit up Fort Union west of Williston and the Confluence (where the Yellowstone and Missouri rivers join up)...then head east...via highway 1804 east of Williston...you will follow the large rolling hills and valleys along Lake Sakakawea all the way to New Town...very scenic along that whole 70 miles trek. (also will experience a lot of the oil activity taking place in northwest North Dakota) you could then head up to Minot and check out the Scandanavian park and Minot zoo...and then back down to Bismarck. Just my suggestion...then if you like what you see and experience...on your next trip up...head up through Fargo to Grand Forks to Devils Lake and Turtle Mountains area and then back down again through Jamestown-Valley City areas.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM

26 posts, read 102,660 times
International Peace Garden United States and Canada

Old 06-22-2010, 08:41 PM

My goal is to visit all 50 states...and at least see something interesting in each state. I think every state has some beauty to offer. The dakotas don't seem that interesting but when you drive off the main roads and look around you can find some natural beauties. My home state of Nebraska isn't exactly a tourist magnet either...the only thing we have to draw vacationers is the Henry Doorly Zoo. One thing is for sure, when I take a visit to North Dakota I will make sure it's in the summer! I already complain enough about the cold where I'm at. Theodore Roosevelt National Park seems very interesting to explore. There's a lot of overlooked natural wonders in the US.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM

Aside from looking at landmarks, I'm always fascinated to see cities and town I haven't seen before. I've wondered what cities like Bismarck are like to live in as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota