Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 AM

88 posts, read 220,178 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

We've all heard about the lack of places to stay once we get to the Bakken Shale area. So, does anyone know where those of us who ARE coming to brave the cold and wind can set up camp? And I'm talking about whether or not it is in a camper, or in a tent, or even in the back of truck. For example; I'm heading that way the second or third week in November, what should I bring in the way of sleeping bag(best for cold temps), boots, generator, camping equipment. What do I bring for the truck (not four wheel drive) to make sure that the engine will start in the harshest part of the winter? Is there a place(camp site) that will let me set-up a small fire to cook food/boil water?

This is all a "worse case" scenario. I already plan on visiting an Army/Navy store before I come, just in case, but I would like to hear from some folks that hunt/fish up in that neck of the woods and what they do when they go out. I know that there are folks living in "tent cities" somewhere out there, at least from what I have seen on the internet, what do they do in the winter to survive? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 AM

394 posts, read 1,169,695 times
It is almost impossible to live in a tent in North Dakota in the winter. An RV is possible, but car, tent, or pickup? Not sure as if I would. But you may be more adventurous.

This isn't a chilly we are talking about. It is dangerously cold. Cold that will kill.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Not to be cynical or anything, but you might want to leave an address of your next of kin. That way they'll know where to forward your corpse, once you thaw out. I kid, but as the other poster said, camping here in the winter would only likely result in something extremely bad happening to you. Do you know what -40 can do to flesh? That's not -40 with a wind chill, that is -40 air temperature.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:14 PM

88 posts, read 220,178 times
Soooo, what you're saying is, is that I've got a chance?!?! Just kidding.

Yes, I know what -40 with no wind chill feels like. I even know what -60 with a 3-5 mph feels like. No, I'm not being a smart-a@@. I'm just looking for a way to make this happen. Where do the people go that are not in a camp during the winter? Do they just move somewhere where housing is available, perhaps an hour or so away from where the work is right now?

Any suggestions if I do not get with a company that has a camp would be helpful. Again, I'm looking at this trip as a worse case scenario so, I want to be prepared.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,430 times
A tent setup is really not acceptable unless it is a last resort.

Too many things can go wrong. Its not only snow and wind, but ice forming as well. Tent and living space maintenance will take a lot of time each day. Even with the best of equipment, it will be difficult.

This from experience living in tents in the Alaskan tundra while in the Army.

Recommend a camper or RV that has been winterized. In any event make sure you have the best arctic sleeping bag, in the event of emergency, at least down to -30.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Obviously, this is "worse case" scenario. But I used to contract to the Gov and traveled all around the US in a 5th wheel. I did that for 8+ years and become pretty good at winterizing my rig. Been in some extreme temps and survived. I live in Wyoming so when when I say extreme, I mean extreme. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend a tent. A tent is ok for hunting, short term, but not any length to speak of. Just not worth it.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-04-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 07:39 AM

58 posts, read 193,849 times
just build an igloo .....

Old 10-05-2011, 03:20 AM

182 posts, read 478,449 times
Tent would be tough. I've only gone as far as car. I guess a temporary heavy duty canvas tent. But those cost as much as a camper/trailer. If I were to do harsh in a tent, I would focus on the Mountain climber kind made for wind, drifts and cold. But that is if. I still like a car with space better. I have my Little buddy heater, It works indoors doesn't let off Carbon monoxide, has low oxygen shut off. I have the refill kit for the miniature propane bottles and I have the straight adapter from 20lb to my heater. I don't like to run straight off the 20 lb so I refill the little green bottles to keep hoses from being needed. I still have a CO battery alarm just in case. It is good in my Suburban which gives me plenty of room to sleep in the back. I have a quiet Yamaha 2000w Generator. I have a block heater with Battery heater as well. Takes about 20-40 minutes depending on the way parked and wind to bring to good temp to start in -40. The generator I use to run a microwave. It covers most of my cooking even though I would like a stove. My water I get is gallon bottles of distilled water. at only 70 cents sure beats any smaller brand bottle and is pure.

I also carry and extra battery and a portable jump starter at all times. I use my jump starter for my charging. It has a handy USB plug adapted on there so I don't need to draw full 12 volts off it it reduces the load and I can charge my phone with the straight USB cable. It will charge my phone for 4 weeks solid. It also has the 12 volt charger so when driving plug it in to socket and charges right back up. It also runs my radio which is nice to hear of news and weather alerts. Or Coast to Coast AM if you can't sleep.

I get the flannel lined sleeping bags. Don't get the ones with Poly lined on the inside as well unless you get a one of those smaller Fleece ones to put inside. The poly deflects moisture and it will condensate on you and make you miserable if it is a big temperature swing which I have seen easily 30 degrees above for highs where you work and you are warm then over the evening to the early morning get to -20 and all that sweat from earlier gets you cold. Flannel eliminated that for me. My -40 bag and -20 bag were both about equal but the -20 was much more comfortable. I never got the cold sleeping bag feeling when entering the flannel.

Make sure you have a CB radio in your vehicle. Out in places with drifts a car can be concealed in matter of hours during a real blizzard. People will not know you are there for days unless you have valid means to communicate. I had phone signal out for 3 days once when I blew a tire on a remote road in -20 But my CB reached the highway 3 miles away and a trucker called it in for me and I had help in 1 hour. My jack wasn't working in the cold either, so make sure you have a jack rated to lift your car and fluid that won't jelly or freeze up at low temps like mine did making it impossible to change my tire. Every time I warmed it up, go back outside it would settle and drain in the cold.

You said you were going to stop at an army navy. Excellent. Get MREs. They are invaluable when you really need them. I always have 7 of em, and 5 gallons of water in a tote. (That is the amount that fit nicely) That is my week of emergency stuff.

But get your vehicle inspected thoroughly. If you are going to sleep in one you can't be just on the verge of it breaking down. You need to know it is in decent working order to get you by.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:24 AM

182 posts, read 478,449 times
My buddy I was talking to just told me about his harsh weather tent.

I had to laugh but it makes good sense. He has 5 pieces of plywood water sealed and they have interlocking latches he sets his corners and pins them He had some foam stripping from hardware store to seal the edges and his walls were wind proof rain proof and he had a flat even floor. I haven't seen it but I could imagine something like that. He said they all stacked nicely in his pickup less then 4 inches high.He made it 7'x 4' so he was able to shut it in his 8' truck bed. Be creative with common sense.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
You could look into an insulated "wall tent," but then you are getting into something that would be more like dragging a trailer around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota