Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM

13 posts, read 42,101 times

Advertisements

As I posted in the Fargo forum, I guess I didn't realize how much Fargo had grown since I had been here 20 years ago. I definitely want to find a small town to live in. I work at home on the Internet so all I need is Internet service. I just want peace and quiet without being so isolated I never see another human being-- a public library would be nice and a farmer's market maybe.
Places I have considered are Cavalier, Lisbon, possibly Valley City, these are all places I have visited in the 1990s but I guess everywhere has changed (actually I was in Valley in 2003). . . I think eventually I would like to live out on a farm, but one step at a time. . . Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like the western part of the state but was not all that fond of Dickinson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 01:01 PM

231 posts, read 873,051 times
I've always thought Hankinson was a nice little town.

There are probably a 100 or so towns that would fit the bill as "peaceful", so that's a tough question. I would probably avoid anything in the Western part of the state because of the rising cost of living there.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:11 PM

Yes, I guess it's kind of a broad question. Being sleep-deprived, all I can think of is going somewhere where there are not a lot of people-- maybe the North Pole.
What do you like about Hankinson? That's near Wyndmere isn't it?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Here is a list of farmers market's in ND (I dont know if this list is all-inclusive)
North Dakota farmers market directory at farmers market online

I would add Langdon to your list. I know folks from there and it is a nice small town, it is the county seat, in an area of agricultural lands. There is a farmer's market and about 2 hours north-northwest of Grand Forks and close to the Canadian border. It does have a farmers market.

City of Langdon | North Dakota

Lisbon is nice too...it is near Fort Ransom state park

Fort Ransom State Park

Though some caution as Lisbon (as well as Valley City) can have some flooding issues along the Sheyenne in extreme cases.

Valley City to me would be a bit too large with a university there and close to the interstate.

Let me add....there is no rivers or flooding concerns in Langdon. However it is a cold spot, even by North Dakota standards.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 AM

What's the difference between Langdon and Cavalier? Also, is it colder in Langdon than GF? I lived in GF in the 1990s before the flood. . The coldest it was there was -35 degrees one morning!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope33 View Post
What's the difference between Langdon and Cavalier? Also, is it colder in Langdon than GF? I lived in GF in the 1990s before the flood. . The coldest it was there was -35 degrees one morning!
I have only limited exposure to Langdon and Cavalier having been in both places only very few times over the years. Langdon is a bit bigger....closer to 2000 k versus 1300 at Cavalier (give or take). I always found Langdon a bit more progressive...but both places would be ok overall not too different.

Yes Langdon is typically a bit colder than Grand Forks...usually a good 5 degrees or so in a situtaion with similar weather conditions.

It was -44 in Grand Forks in 2004.

Here are the averages for Langdon -- coldest -51 in 1936.

LANGDON EXPERIMENT FARM, ND - Climate Summary

Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,473 times
Jamestown. We have a small town, with most big city amenities (Wal-Mart, restaurants, entertainment).

Also lots of recreational activities surround the area.

Jamestown, ND - Travel and Visitor Informaton - Affordable Family Fun - Come Visit!

Also something else of interest to you as you work on the internet:
http://www.thisislivingwellconnected.com/

Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM

33 posts, read 122,273 times
Jamestown is not a small town by anyone's measure. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place but I don't think it's quite what the OP has in mind when thinking about "small town" North Dakota.

Differences between Langdon and Cavalier? Quite a bit if you ask the residents, but not a whole lot if you actually look them. They are roughly the same size, both have access to the same amenities, like schools, grocery store, gas stations, several restaurants and bar options.

Langdon has Alco, a small town discount department store. Cavalier has the same thing in Pamida. Both towns have hardware stores, car dealerships, pharmacies, flower shops, jewelry stores, etc. Both towns have a hospital and clinic. (But for anything major you're probably going to Grand Forks or Fargo anyway.) There are lawyers, insurance agents, and accounts in both towns. Pretty much anything you need to get done, from getting a hair cut to a new washing machine, you can get done in Langdon and Cavalier.

Langdon has Mt. Carmel dam for fishing, swimming, camping. Cavalier has Icelandic State park. Both have golf courses nearby, public pools, movie theaters, bowling alleys, churches, gyms, and libraries.

Other nice small town communities to consider? Rolla is a nice little town, Park River would be comparable in size, but much closer to a bigger city. (Grand Forks) Edinburg is a gorgeous little town and I think it's the epitome of small town North Dakota. Minto is a nice little community too.

I would avoid Grafton. The feeling I get from your post says it might be a bit bigger that what you're looking for. Wahalla as well, but for different reasons. This is just my own personal experience, and I hope I'm totally wrong, but Wahalla just doesn't feel like a very welcoming community, unless you're a local. Which is sad, because even though the population is smaller, it has many of the same services as Cavalier and Langdon. Not to mention it sits in the most beautiful part of the state. (Come on, Walhalla! Make me wrong on this!)

I'm mostly familiar with the small towns in the northeastern part of the state, so I can't really speak of much places around Fargo or out west. (Even though I live in Fargo, I rarely make it out to the little towns around here.)

Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Here is a list of farmers market's in ND (I dont know if this list is all-inclusive)
North Dakota farmers market directory at farmers market online

Valley City is 3 x a week for the past couple years. 4-6 on Mon & Thurs and 10-12 Sat AM.

Valley City is a nice little town/city with a few things to do (concerts, plays, planetarium, etc) because of the college, but you don't have to get involved in anything if you don't want to. Usually feels more like a 1500-2000 person town rather than 6500.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Thanks for all these opinions/ info!! What is the scoop on Devil's Lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota