Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:05 AM

70 posts, read 125,724 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm from the Dallas area. Most of my family are now deceased and I have little ties left to the community here. I'm also fairly disgusted as many of the people here are rather pretentious, overly materialistic, and frankly rather hollow and shallow. I hate to badmouth my town like that, but that's Dallas for ya.

Years ago, I took a cross country south to north trip and remember well that day in June that I drove through the western Dakotas. I stopped and had lunch at a small mom-and-pop restaurant in Bowman. I remember how green it was looking out over the treeless Missouri Plateau. I remember how I was somewhat startled, delightfully, upon entering the badlands that just came out of nowhere around TR National Park. I remember being surprised at seeing a Halliburton satelitte office in Williston as both my parents spent their entire careers with them.

I've read many of the posts from others who are considering relocating for whatever reason. However, it seems most of these folks have families and children. Therefore, I'm wondering what the climate is like for a single man around 30. It just seems everyone there is taken. I just think that it would be hard in a place with so few people. I'd being coming from a metro area with five and a half million people.

The climate is a non-issue as I despise Texas summers and the heat. A winter that cold would certainly be a new experience though. I do understand that ya'll get a few hot days up there, but not three or four months of it like we have.

Anyways, I hear the unemployment is low and employers are scrambling to find people in some towns. Sounds good. I have a bit of a past, so I'm not really looking for a place full of busy bodies. We tend to be a little more formal and reserved here in the South, so looking for the same there as well as folks with a "live and let live" attitude. So, I remembered how much I enjoyed that summer day drive up there and though, why not?

I would prefer the central or western part of the state. Not interesting in living closer to Minneapolis as I've had enough of the big city. I have no children so schools aren't really important. Perhaps some colleges as I have two years under my belt and would like to finish someday.

I usually go for a relaxed social scene, if such a thing exists up there. I don't have a lot of money so affordability is a big issue. I've worked mostly in restaurants the past few years but have worked in office clerical positions as well as retail in the distant past. I'm certainly open to learning new skills however. Hence, the college/trade school questions. I love the outdoors and thought the Missouri Plateau was one of the most scenic areas in the United States and I've been all over. Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM

246 posts, read 1,007,121 times
Bismarck wouldn't be a bad place to start. Lots of jobs, and you are fairly close to anything outdoors you want to enjoy. Also, with the colleges there dating opportunities are better than in a really small town.

If you do go back to school, that will make it even easier.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:17 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
I agree, Bismarck might be the best choice for you. They have lots of available jobs...especially restaruant...and retail. Also, you might consider places like SYKES where they will train you as a customer rep for software support... or UNISYS, Aetna Health, or Covenant Health. (big US national customer service customers that have moved into Bismarck) Nice variety of apartments are available...you can get a basement (converted house) for 300+ to older nice apts. 2 bdrm for 400+ to brand new ones for 500+. Plenty of young people in your age group...basically pubs-bars where they hang...NO CLUBBING here!!! LOL
-Halliburton in Williston...yes, they are still there and growing fast with the current oil boom going on. If you are interested in Oil Field, they are begging for help up in the Williston area. Sanjel, Halliburton, Schlumberger, Knight Oil tools, etc... etc... are expanding big time up there...they figure they will have up to 2,000 jobs to fill in the next few years. Many people in the Williston area are from out of state with the new comers, and the locals are used to the mover ins and outs, and don't ask or care...everyone is welcome up in Williston. But housing is very tight...waiting lists for apartments and rentals...but you could make enough $$$ to get something, especially if you are single.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:01 PM

Thank you for the info. gentlemen. Roloff, I think that would be surreal for me to go to work for the same company that employed both my parents for their entire careers. My father was a master lathe operator and worked in the plant. My mother started as a secretary but retired as a buyer in the office. I do know that Halliburton paid them fairly well though and had excellent benefits.

Only drawback is the oil field is so boom and bust. I saw them go through that in the 80s. I can see your point about the housing though. I'm assuming construction is probably big up there right now too. I live on the outskirts of Dallas, so a 30 or 40 mile commute one-way is not unheard of here. Perhaps someone in the countryside who is stuggling might be willing to board me since I am single...maybe out near Watford City or somewhere in the environs surrounding Williston. I loved that country out there.

I remember that J.C.Penny store on one of the streets and that big, Lutheran church. I don't know why that town sticks out in my mind so much. This was 11 years ago that I made that trip. I'll admit that that first winter will probably be rough on me, but others in your state have said that it's actually a little warmer out west because of the Chinooks. I'll do some more digging online.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,777 times
Bismarck sounds like a place to go if your more interested in the western part of NoDak. When I was young, we use to visit Dickenson a lot to see relatives.
I thought the area was really cool. We seen roads that were black-top, but were red because of some of the rock from the area. Anyway, Dickenson has a website for jobs available there. I will post it here:

Dickinson, North Dakota - Get your life back!

I think the best thing would be to take a couple weeks and travel around the various areas. My opinion is seeing is believing. You have many biased individuals here that all believe they live in paradise. Actually, when you get down to it, most of NoDak is paradise . And don't ever worry about the cold. With all the high-tech clothing there is, you can stay warm on them cold wintery days. Also, some people are better at it than others, but if you embrace the weather and plan for the cold temps, winter will not be an issue.

Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 PM

103 posts, read 706,489 times
Jobezee1: I think you should check out the Williston area if you come up north to check things out. They do not think the Oil is going to die down anytime soon, especially since they are doing some heavy exploring in a new formation called the Bakken formation in the Williston Basin. So far, it has been very promising. There are plenty of jobs available in Williston from resturaunt, to office...especially the oil companies that are moving in or expanding. Halliburton has been in Williston for over 20years, and are not going away. They along with many other companies stuck it out during the lean times when the boom went bust around the US...most of the ND oil compaines ended up setting up shop in Williston and sticking it out, and of course are really flourishing now. There are wharehouse, shop, trucking, and oil field jobs. They will train you for most. Williston state college even has an Oil field, and trucking classes to help you train for the job you are interested in, in the oil field industry. Here are a few links that could give you a better feel for the Williston area. Check them out. and Good Luck!
Williston, North Dakota
Williston State College - Williston, ND
Job Service North Dakota
Williston Herald - Online Edition

Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 PM

Also, yes, there is a lot of building going on in Willisotn at the moment. They are having problems convincing developers to come in to build apartments, etc.. but they are building houses as fast as they can. Usually they are sold before they start pouring the foundation...but if you don't mind living in a new mobile home, they have a newly opened park that offers rental or lots if you already own a manufactured home. Apartments do have a waiting list, but they open up as people move into their new houses, etc... many of the oil companies have housing set aside, whether it be in a hotel-motel, or rentals they have acquired.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,777 times
Like I said, somethings need to be experienced. Give yourself some time to experience North Dakota. It will be easy to decide if you want to stay, or not. I think you will like the layed back pace. I've missed it and am looking forward to it next spring.

Good Luck!!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
Like I said, somethings need to be experienced. Give yourself some time to experience North Dakota. It will be easy to decide if you want to stay, or not. I think you will like the layed back pace. I've missed it and am looking forward to it next spring.

Good Luck!!
Thank you Chester and Mike. I understand the housing situation. I think I'd probably be a little better off there since I'm a single bachelor and really only require a room, a bed, and maybe a chair. Pretty flexible. I think oil field work would be interesting. I don't have any experience in that but my parents worked for Halliburton for over 30 years. Taking some classes at the local college might not be a bad idea at first.

I think the character of such a town would appeal to me as I seek a fairly simple, relaxed lifestyle and hope to settle down permanently after making a little money. I'm just approaching that age when a man has to start giving some serious considerations to these things, 'cause boy, the years are starting to fly by. Thank you all for the info. Y'all take care up there.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 PM

Kind of interesting...just watching the local Williston NBC channel. They said the Williston area oil businesses are going to need to fill 3,000 jobs this coming year, and 12,000 jobs by 2010 at the rate the exploration is going in the Williston Basin. Could be interesting few years. They said tomorrow they will be having a story on the housing shortage and what is being worked on to resolve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota