Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:47 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times

Advertisements

I'm really glad that fracking has helped so many people make a decent living, and I haven't heard of any negative effects in ND.......but there have been some strange things happening in Oklahoma and Arkansas. Frequent tremors, unexplained explosions, wells gone bad. I'm not a tree hugger, as an Alaskan I have benefited a lot from our oil. Maybe in some geographies, fracking can cause problems. No one really knows for sure. I hope that the boom continues in ND, sounds like the companies treat the employees well and the country needs a boost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:01 AM

231 posts, read 873,167 times
Clean water in small towns is a luxury. My in-laws used to live in Eastern Montana and they had to add Iron Out to every load of clothes so it wouldn't turn brown. There was no fracking of any kind at that time.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 AM

454 posts, read 940,484 times
Health officials had earlier advised residents not to drink their water after the EPA said it had found benzene and other hydrocarbons in wells it tested.

It's not iron or a 'sulphur smell' that is the issue with the water in this area of Wyoming, it's Benzene and other chemicals that are used in the fracking process there. Most water wells in ND are loaded with minerals and iron - that's a given. I don't think Benzene is a naturally occurring substance routinely found in water wells. I'm no tree hugger either, but if we 'f' up our water supply, we are ALL screwed. We need oil and we need water.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 AM

91 posts, read 294,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naelbis View Post
I have been on Williston, Trenton and Ray water at one time or another and the water was always fine. A filter pitcher takes care of anything I might notice so I don't know what your complaint is unless you are outside of Williams County. And fyi...most bottled water is just tap water put in a package.
"And fyi...most bottled water is just tap water put in a package"

No, you think? Obviously, but at least its not being bottled where there's thousands of gallons of chemicals being pumped into the ground. I'm not opposed to fracking, i work on a drill rig, doesnt mean i cant admit the water is not pure.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naelbis View Post
And fyi...most bottled water is just tap water put in a package.
Technically true, it's still run through a filter, but that's something you can do with your tap water at a fraction of the cost. Also the water is purer to begin with, who the hell would buy water that smelled like rotten eggs, filtered or not.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,309 times
Default smell of water

You smell sulfer or rotten eggs from your tap water? Look it up. problem is caused by the anode rod in your water heater. Drain it. Pull out rod. Replace it. ~~~ or buy a new water heater. Problem solved. Look it up.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
What's the water quality like in the Red River towns (Fargo, Grand Forks, etc.)?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
What's the water quality like in the Red River towns (Fargo, Grand Forks, etc.)?
I was there last summer and no problem with the water. I am glad I brought my tennis racquet for mosquitoes.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 01-09-2012, 12:23 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I have lived up here for almost 15 yrs and no issues noted....nothing in the news about it. Water is taken from the Red River....then to the water treatment plant. We dont use any water purifer or softner in our house.

--Dan

Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I was there last summer and no problem with the water. I am glad I brought my tennis racquet for mosquitoes.

Jasper Hobbs
Be glad you werent up here in the wet summers in the early part of the 2000's. last year (at least in Grand Forks area) mosquitos werent a terrible problem.... in the cities they there is spraying.

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota