Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 PM

9 posts, read 30,182 times

Advertisements

I am a one-man construction company here in rural Oregon, looking to relocate to ND to help out with the huge construction demand in areas like Minot, and Williston. Have spent hours scouring these forums (you ND folks are helpful and kind) and am hoping to get some advice about how and where to start. I am planning to make a trip out there in a few months to check things out. I know that I should wait for spring, and bring my own RV, but beyond that, I'm not sure what to do. I really want to be where the action is- my small town in OR was hit hard by the recession, and it isn't recovering in time to make a difference for my young family. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 01:19 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldstream04 View Post
I am a one-man construction company here in rural Oregon, looking to relocate to ND to help out with the huge construction demand in areas like Minot, and Williston. Have spent hours scouring these forums (you ND folks are helpful and kind) and am hoping to get some advice about how and where to start. I am planning to make a trip out there in a few months to check things out. I know that I should wait for spring, and bring my own RV, but beyond that, I'm not sure what to do. I really want to be where the action is- my small town in OR was hit hard by the recession, and it isn't recovering in time to make a difference for my young family. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I know Minot will have a huge construction boom in the coming years (like Grand Forks did after their flood). Several new schools will have to be re-built and there are more and more hotels in the works.... and just regular housing....many folks will need help with re-doing basements, re-framing rooms, etc lost during the flood. housing is another issue...

Old 01-07-2012, 01:14 PM

45 posts, read 125,460 times
Lots of construction going on here in Dickinson, too. Just paid my rent and a guy here just tried to recruit me for the company he is working for. They do construction and need sub-contractors bad.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks for your replies. Do you think I could get started on my own, or is everyone looking to the big established companies for what they need. I have always been more comfortable running and leading a crew, than waiting around on someone else's schedule. If I showed up in town with tools, could I get needed supplies for re-building, or is everything out of stock and needing a special order? Thanks again for your local info- I'd like to make this work and be a part of the story going on out there.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,228 times
Minot will be a great area to start. We are shy about 2000 homes due to the flood and influx of people. The newspaper always has job openings and if you do some smal advertising, should be no problem. It is still taking a month before we can have any work done. My home is delayed due to the lack of electricians and getting gas meters on the homes.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 AM

Thanks for the insight, magiccity. I am looking forward to lending a hand in your area in the near future. Best wishes to you and your family on getting your home fixed up very soon.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,994 times
I am looking into coming out there in February. We have been in business for over 25 years and do lots of commercial and residential framing construction as well everything else. We would have a small crew of 4 to 5 guys. Where would be the best place to look for a job ASAP? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Annabelle homes is the big contractor doing work in Williston this summer. As I understand it, that addition near the hospital, strip mall and facilities. They are online, you might ask about work.

Used to be plenty of smaller companies, in Williston, but I have heard it takes months to get a contractor to do a job on your house. There is a need for sure. I heard that in Williston, Menards is trying to put a store in, and has had problems even starting for Menards loses their crew. This from my renter.

Independent contractor folks should look on the ND.Gov homepage for business license info. to find out what you need.
You may want to contact lumber yards, and maybe place an add for your services, or make a brief trip up and offer estimates on a couple jobs to start early spring. That way you would get a chance to see if you'd have to bring materials from say Grand Forks, or Bismarck to your job, in Minot, or Williston.

Word of mouth is a big deal in N.D. Also, be aware some folks in Minot have recently been stung by a couple of incidents of folks taking deposits, yet no work is ever done.

In N.D. your word is your bond, and folks can make or break their company by not keeping their word, or doing shoddy work.
I used to coordinate the contractors and volunteers for an agency following our flood here in Grand Forks, I saw a couple of electric co. make huge amts right after the flood, gouging, because folks had no choice. Afterward, folks didn't forget getting ripped off, and these same companies lost their businesses, you could see their co. truck s parked for several years right on DeMers Ave. at a used car lot. Also, both Williston and Minot folks were very good to us in Grand Forks, it would be nice to see them get some good help this year.

Don't forget to check jobsnd for job listings. And possibly listing your own add for employees once you figure out state contract licensing.

For the 4-5 man crew, I'd look up all the construction companies in N.D., and start calling. I would think a crew of dependable workers could get hired, especially for framing. You might even contact the various Home improvement, lumber yards to see about posting a notice.
For supplies if they aren't available in Minot or Williston, in Grand Forks we have Lowes, Menards and Lumbermart. In Fargo Menards, Devils lake not sure what they have. Good luck guys

Last edited by JanND; 01-23-2012 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: sentence structure

Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,034 times
I need leads or advice asap about work in n.d.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 8,034 times
Does any one know what kind of wages a residential carpenter can make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota