Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:18 PM

37 posts, read 73,802 times

Advertisements

Yeah from what Google Earth tells me anything east of the river I'd have to drive to Bismarck anyways to get to the reservation which extends the trip alot. I'm trying to stay west of the river, and still in a place they allow us to take the squad car. This is getting tough lol I think I'm just going to take gov housing and play it by ear from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menoch View Post
Yeah from what Google Earth tells me anything east of the river I'd have to drive to Bismarck anyways to get to the reservation which extends the trip alot. I'm trying to stay west of the river, and still in a place they allow us to take the squad car. This is getting tough lol I think I'm just going to take gov housing and play it by ear from there.
I'm glad you pointed that out. I hadn't even thought about that.

You are probably right in the Gov housing. It would give you time to explore and possibly find that gem in a small town around there, or a farm house that is no longer being used.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,719 times
Well yeah, there are only bridges at Mobridge and Bismarck. Otherwise you can only cross the river when there's a nice layer of ice on it...
Frankly, if you're only a single guy, I'd go with the provided housing.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 AM

To add: I still think you might want to talk to some current or recently-left cops, though.
Truly--I can think of very few jobs in this world that would be as stressful and thankless as BIA police...

Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM

I'll be bringing my fiance so not really single but no kids.

I've talked to a few guys working there now, it doesn't sound that bad. Did you work there?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 PM

No, I just lived there.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:31 PM

I'd love to hear what you experienced there. I'm taking the job but I would like a full picture before I get there.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM

The reservation is just a world unto itself. I don't know how I'd explain it, honestly...

So I'll tell you a story--

One Sunday morning, we were driving to church in Mobridge--Just like we had for the past several years. My husband, myself and our two small children.
We went through Kenel, like any other trip to Mobridge, and it happened to be pow-wow weekend.

As I was coming around the corner in town, heading back out, a late teens/early 20s kid cut me off in his Blazer. He careened in front of me, waved at us in a panic and hit the brakes and kind of drove off into the ditch. He had a 2x4 sticking out of the back window of his car. As in, someone had thrown it at his car and it had shot through the glass.
He staggered out of the car, and you could see he'd been severely beaten. He came to my car window, begged for help and proceeded to collapse. Right in the middle of the southbound lane of hwy 1806.

My husband, a volunteer firefighter for Selfridge Rural, jumped out of the car, put a blanket around this kid and tried to keep him conscious. In the meantime, I'd called 911 who were sending an ambulance and police. After answering that all-important first question, of course: "Indian or white?" Because that determines whether it's the sheriff or BIA and whether the ambulance will run to Yates or Mobridge.

The kid came to just long enough to give my husband his tribal ID. So, my husband spent the time waiting, trying to get this kid to retain consciousness. He was bleeding badly, he'd been branded on the shoulder (apparently a gang-initiation thing we learned later) and his eyes kept rolling back and forth in his head which makes you think drugs...

I can't even guess at how many vehicles drove by. Keeping in mind, we were in the middle of the lane of traffic, just outside of town, with the kid laid out in front of my stopped car. People would slow way down, go around us, gawk out the window and drive on past. The only vehicle that stopped were some neighbors of ours, also on their way to church, and they stopped just long enough to make sure WE were okay. Once they realized it was just an Indian who was possibly dying in my husband's arms, they drove on.
To church.

The cops beat the ambulance there. As soon as they showed up, they pulled on gloves (to protect against blood contamination of course, in case he had AIDS) and started questioning this kid about the party he'd been at. Mind you, this kid is still in and out of consciousness. My husband just looked at his hands. Soaked in this boy's blood and looked at me... I hadn't even thought about it. He had, but didn't have any gloves with him (he was just a firefighter, not an EMT), so just had to bale in without.

He handed the cops the kid's tribal ID. So they're trying to question this kid who by now is convulsing in the middle of the south-bound lane of 1806... My husband is trying to restrain him so he won't beat himself against the pavement. And then goes back to talking to him, yelling, trying to get him to respond.

After forever, the ambulance finally shows up to take care of this kid. The cops are still trying to question him, even after he's being strapped to the board (still unconscious) and loaded into the ambulance.
They never did do anything to try to help him.

That moment is when we decided we couldn't raise our kids on the reservation, no matter how good my husband's job was. It wasn't even so much the kid that was probably hopped up on drugs and trying to get into a gang.
It was other people's reaction to it. The cops. The passers-by, both Indian and white. Our neighbors--good Christians on their way to church. What does it take for people to lose so much connection to their fellow human beings that this injured boy becomes just another worthless Indian?

We still have several very dear friends up there who we go visit. White and Indian.
I miss listening to KLND (there is nothing like tribal radio to teach you what is true democracy! lol) I loved the unique perspective of a completely different culture within the larger complexity of the US--Graduating kids who had their star-quilts draped over their chairs. The way basketball is more full-contact than football. The pieces of a mostly-dead language that creeps into conversation ("Hey kola...Spare me a five?") That my son's first two friends were a tow-headed white girl and a black haired Indian boy...

Honestly, I don't think outsiders manage to assimilate into the reservation very often...and if we'd lived there for 50 years, I doubt we'd still have gotten a "full picture."
It's a world unto itself.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Honestly that happens everywhere though, I've had it happen here in Miami where I stop to help an individual in a bad crash and no one helps. Granted when the cops get there, they know what to do. In the case of the BIA officers that was simply bad first responder action, questioning is always secondary to injury.

I've been reading ALOT about Standing Rock on articles I keep finding on Google. It seems (and please correct me if I am understanding it wrong) that it had a very bad run with crime and the Feds created 2 primary surges in law enforcement which according to reports have slowed things down abit. I understand the poverty level is also bad, alcoholism is rampant and make up the majority of the crimes that occur. I'm not a native so I can't say I'm familiar with the culture but I am open to learning about any new culture. I spent some time in Afghanistan and that was certainly an interesting experience with a new culture.

All the problems I've read about I feel like I can handle and actually a busy job is preferable to me. I rather be a busy cop than a bored 1.

If there's any other stories you're willing to share I'd love to hear it!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I've had it happen here in Miami
My point exactly.
This isn't some big city. This isn't even a small city...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota