Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM

454 posts, read 940,587 times

Advertisements

More People in North Dakota are Carrying Concealed Weapons - KXNet - Bismarck/Minot/Williston/Dickinson

And these are just the people who are taking the time to take the class and get legal....................think of all the law abiding people who are already carrying and haven't taken the class.

I have my Carry/Conceal class this evening .

Remember that criminals will carry regardless of being legal or not - it's time for the rest of us to step up and be ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
More People in North Dakota are Carrying Concealed Weapons - KXNet - Bismarck/Minot/Williston/Dickinson

And these are just the people who are taking the time to take the class and get legal....................think of all the law abiding people who are already carrying and haven't taken the class.

I have my Carry/Conceal class this evening .

Remember that criminals will carry regardless of being legal or not - it's time for the rest of us to step up and be ready.
Then they are now law abiding, are they?

Before somebody steps on their tongue trying to correct me, yes, I know that some people may not be required to take the class.

It's good that you are taking the class and becoming legal. It's too bad that North Dakota restricts you to having to have a permit. Where I live, a Concealed Weapons Permit, is not required.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
I think they are trying to keep folks safer by requiring classes. I wonder if you don't need a concealed weapon permit in your state, what happens when you visit a state where it is required?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:12 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Before somebody steps on their tongue trying to correct me, yes, I know that some people may not be required to take the class.

It's good that you are taking the class and becoming legal. It's too bad that North Dakota restricts you to having to have a permit. Where I live, a Concealed Weapons Permit, is not required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think they are trying to keep folks safer by requiring classes. I wonder if you don't need a concealed weapon permit in your state, what happens when you visit a state where it is required?
I am wondering now, but not too far, lol, what the stats are between two states where one requires the permit and one don't? I shall have to use my friend. To be con't...

Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Most every state requires you to be proficient with a firearm and to attend a class that does a couple things. 1) teaches you safety of carrying a weapon and 2) some of the laws and judgement of when you can and when you can't.

Wyoming requires several things for a permit. Fingerprints, background check, class etc. However, they will wave the requirement of the class if you have a documented background. i.e. previous law enforcement, previous military, etc.

In Wyoming, you can get a permit to carry. I have one. However, it is no longer required as of last year. There are requriements such as age, no felony's, haven't been institutionalized, etc... It's the same requriements as if you actually wanted a CCW. But, like I say, a CCW is not requried. Also, there is no reciprocacy with other states. If you have a CCW, then you are legal in many other states. Without the CCW, you are only legal within Wyoming.

I maintain my CCW because I do travel to other states.

Crime tends to go down, drastically, when the bad guy has to assume that every person and every household is armed.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

I kind of set myself up with that statement didn't I ? As I was typing it, I was trying to think up the proper wording, so that it would make sense, but I failed. In my opinion only, the hoops that a law abiding citizen must jump through and the fees incurred while attempting to get a CC permit are a little silly, because we all know that criminals, low life types and the scum of the earth have no desire to be legal - they will carry regardless of the law of any particular state. So, I guess that no matter how 'law abiding' a person is, if they are carrying without a permit issued by their state, they aren't truly abiding by the law. I would like to say though, that I don't mind 'law abiding' folks carrying without a permit, because I know darn well the criminals are doing it too .

Last night's carry/conceal class had 50 people attending. Our instructor said that prior to just recently, there would have been maybe 10 people in attendance. Keep in mind this was in a small town. There were people there from up to 60 miles away, as these classes fill up fast, people are willing to travel to find a class that has openings. People were also turned away due to class size. Also, laws regarding cc permits are changing all the time, some of what we were shown last night, were new rules that were added last month. It's getting a little tougher and a little tougher all the time to be granted a permit.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I kind of set myself up with that statement didn't I ? As I was typing it, I was trying to think up the proper wording, so that it would make sense, but I failed. In my opinion only, the hoops that a law abiding citizen must jump through and the fees incurred while attempting to get a CC permit are a little silly, because we all know that criminals, low life types and the scum of the earth have no desire to be legal - they will carry regardless of the law of any particular state. So, I guess that no matter how 'law abiding' a person is, if they are carrying without a permit issued by their state, they aren't truly abiding by the law. I would like to say though, that I don't mind 'law abiding' folks carrying without a permit, because I know darn well the criminals are doing it too .

Last night's carry/conceal class had 50 people attending. Our instructor said that prior to just recently, there would have been maybe 10 people in attendance. Keep in mind this was in a small town. There were people there from up to 60 miles away, as these classes fill up fast, people are willing to travel to find a class that has openings. People were also turned away due to class size. Also, laws regarding cc permits are changing all the time, some of what we were shown last night, were new rules that were added last month. It's getting a little tougher and a little tougher all the time to be granted a permit.
How many hours is the class? I should just bite the bullet, lol, and get signed up in my area instead of putting it off all the time. I think it cost around 150 the last time I checked with one of places offering it.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
How many hours is the class? I should just bite the bullet, lol, and get signed up in my area instead of putting it off all the time. I think it cost around 150 the last time I checked with one of places offering it.
I was there for the Class 2 permit. The class was approx. 4 hours, but the time will vary depending on how many people are there. I don't know if all classes offer the fingerprinting along with the class, but ours did, so that took up some of the time. We paid $25.00 for the Class 2. Then, there is the passport photos required (about $5 - $7, depending on where you get them done), and a cashiers check or money order to the A.G.'s office. The photo's and the $45.00 are not due @ class time, they are needed when you take your signed (by the instructor),class documentation to the Chief of Police (if you live in a city/town) or the Sheriff of the county in which you reside. It can take up to 90 days for your paperwork to clear the system. We were advised to be patient while waiting for the permit to be approved or declined - as the system is pretty much overwhelmed a.t.m.

Be aware of the costs for the class being different at different places! The first place I checked, in Minot, charges $75.00 for the same class I paid $25.00 for. It was a fluk that a family member found out about the other class for $25.00, otherwise, I would have paid $75.00 instead of $25.00. You also can take the class in a different city or county than the one you currently reside in. But the paperwork must be turned in to the authorities of your county of residence in the end.

If you want the Class 1, which offers reciprocity in more states than the Class 2, you will need to do a shooting test with your weapon, and I believe it costs more. I chose the Class 2, because it has reciprocity with S.D. and MT, I don't travel much outside those areas, so it worked for me.

Bite the bullet and DO IT! There were people of all ages there last night, the oldest was about 80 and there were a couple of girls that looked 18, but there was every other age in between there - it was pretty interesting.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I was there for the Class 2 permit. The class was approx. 4 hours, but the time will vary depending on how many people are there. I don't know if all classes offer the fingerprinting along with the class, but ours did, so that took up some of the time. We paid $25.00 for the Class 2. Then, there is the passport photos required (about $5 - $7, depending on where you get them done), and a cashiers check or money order to the A.G.'s office. The photo's and the $45.00 are not due @ class time, they are needed when you take your signed (by the instructor),class documentation to the Chief of Police (if you live in a city/town) or the Sheriff of the county in which you reside. It can take up to 90 days for your paperwork to clear the system. We were advised to be patient while waiting for the permit to be approved or declined - as the system is pretty much overwhelmed a.t.m.

Be aware of the costs for the class being different at different places! The first place I checked, in Minot, charges $75.00 for the same class I paid $25.00 for. It was a fluk that a family member found out about the other class for $25.00, otherwise, I would have paid $75.00 instead of $25.00. You also can take the class in a different city or county than the one you currently reside in. But the paperwork must be turned in to the authorities of your county of residence in the end.

If you want the Class 1, which offers reciprocity in more states than the Class 2, you will need to do a shooting test with your weapon, and I believe it costs more. I chose the Class 2, because it has reciprocity with S.D. and MT, I don't travel much outside those areas, so it worked for me.

Bite the bullet and DO IT! There were people of all ages there last night, the oldest was about 80 and there were a couple of girls that looked 18, but there was every other age in between there - it was pretty interesting.
Thank you so much for the info, that helps a lot! I better do it! LOL, the way it sounds it will take awhile to get the permit if I am approved then. I am not sure which classs to take, I might go for the Class one as I do go into MT quite a bit. Thanks again, you rock!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
FYI....New and Old CW Permit holders:
Concealed Weapons Permits New laws that took effect Jan. 1, 2012. Very strict time sensitive laws regarding re-certifying when your permit expires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota