Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times

Advertisements

I am still shaking my head at this post on craiglist .... For Williston

Sleep in the front seat of my car. U get blanket & a place away from rain. 30$ a night or 175$ a week. All windows blacked out for privacy.

Insane....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 05:06 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Someone will probably take him up on it!!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
This is probably someone there looking for a job. Awww Free Enterprise!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 AM

454 posts, read 940,484 times
"All windows blacked out for privacy".................................

Reminds me of the old days when motels would advertise that they had telephones in the rooms.

The ad in itself is unreal, who would have thought that someday in ND we would see something like that?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
NDP, Not I, not in a million years. It speaks volumes regarding the state of our U.S. economy, and shows the truly desperate measures folks are willing to go to to find lucrative employment. God bless them.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 AM

443 posts, read 806,467 times
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pnp/ppmsc/00200/00230r.jpg
History repeats itself?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
NDP, Not I, not in a million years. It speaks volumes regarding the state of our U.S. economy, and shows the truly desperate measures folks are willing to go to to find lucrative employment. God bless them.
Wow, that's truly depressing, and of course makes me worry even more about my son. He did make it as far as Minot last night and now must stay a few days to make enough money to get to Williston. Why didn't he just start a web construction biz or work in an upscale restaurant and be SAFE?! I guess the answer is cause he's a 26yo guy.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 AM

53 posts, read 175,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Ursa22, LOL! To me, it kind of looks like it. LOL! When I first heard about the Oil Boom in Williston and other Oil Boom areas of ND, it made me think about what our California Gold Rush must have been like in the day. It seems like the Oil Rush and the Gold Rush both have a lot in common, in regards to what happens (the good and the bad) when people move to those cities and areas to try to take advantage of a boom.

Since I have been reading about the Oil Rush in ND, thus far I have not heard anything about people being homeless per se, it seems that most people drive there to wherever they are trying to get to, in their own vehicle, so they tend to live and sleep in their vehicle if they don't have any other housing. Yet I have not heard of anyone wondering the streets looking for shelter . . . yet I'm sure that there must be homeless people looking to take advantage of that "Sleep in the front seat of my car" opportunity. LOL!

Nick

Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM

454 posts, read 940,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSheridan View Post
Ursa22, LOL! To me, it kind of looks like it. LOL! When I first heard about the Oil Boom in Williston and other Oil Boom areas of ND, it made me think about what our California Gold Rush must have been like in the day. It seems like the Oil Rush and the Gold Rush both have a lot in common, in regards to what happens (the good and the bad) when people move to those cities and areas to try to take advantage of a boom.

Since I have been reading about the Oil Rush in ND, thus far I have not heard anything about people being homeless per se, it seems that most people drive there to wherever they are trying to get to, in their own vehicle, so they tend to live and sleep in their vehicle if they don't have any other housing. Yet I have not heard of anyone wondering the streets looking for shelter . . . yet I'm sure that there must be homeless people looking to take advantage of that "Sleep in the front seat of my car" opportunity. LOL!

Nick
Oddly enough, your wording of "anyone wondering the streets looking for shelter", is EXACTLY what happened to a guy in Minot shortly before Christmas of 2011. One of my friends on facebook was trying as hard as she could to find anyone willing to let this guy crash at their home, garage, r.v., hotel - anything. He was offered a job in Minot and took it without arranging housing (I can't remember where he was from originally), but he was trying to work and sleep in his car and he wasn't able to cut it, so he literally went door to door to businesses and begged for help with a place to stay and her business was one of the doors he asked for help from. Last I heard, (back in December) nobody had taken him in yet. I deactived my facebook account, otherwise I would ask her if she had heard anymore from the homeless guy - by now I'm sure he has found something, gotten used to living in his car or given up and gone home. The biggest issue people had with opening up their home to this guy is that nobody knew him - so there were some trust issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
For sure.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 PM

53 posts, read 175,600 times
Norsk/Deutsch/Polska, thank you for the update. For the life of me, I don't know how anyone could anyone stand to stay/sleep in their car during a typical ND winter. BRRRRR!!!

Yet on the flipside, I can easily see why nobody would take that guy in. It might have been okay to do so in the pre-50's, but never in the past 3 or 4 decades . . . at least not here in Los Angeles . . . as you never know, one could be taking in the next Jack The Ripper or Charles Manson. YIKES!

Nick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota