Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:05 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,872 times

Advertisements

I've applied for a job here.

Spoke with one of the boss' and it seems like a pretty decent place. There are enough places to shop and eat..... and the place I'd be working is real close to Walmart too.

I know Daktel provides internet, cable and phone services in the area. Is there any other choice of provider out there?

What's the overall attitude of people in town? Anything about the town you'd tell an outsider coming in who doesn;'t want to remain an outside.. something that I might not find on some website?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 06:05 AM

19 posts, read 86,901 times
I have only visited Jamestown. Quiet enough place, you have the college which has sporting events to attend. High School hockey.

I know a few people that live in Valley City and commute to Jamestown for their jobs (and also for Walmart).

Old 10-10-2007, 07:20 AM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times
Mr Geek,
Coming to you from Jamestown.

Not sure how big of towns you have lived in the past, but Jamestown is your typical smaller Midwest town of 15K (low crime, laid back, quiet, slow paced).

We have a pretty decent selection of restaurants, and so-so for retail. As you have probably found out a new Wally World Super Center is now under construction.

We have an excellent school system with brand spankin new state of the art high school and newly renovated middle school. Lots of great sports facilities to go with them.

We have a lot of available outdoor activities such as boating (large reservoir right on the North side of town), and another about 5 minutes North of town. Great fishing, hunting, bird watching, horse back riding (new trails and camp).

We have a pretty active Chamber of Commerce and a social committee called After 5 (Jamestown After 5 - Home). Our committee of which I am a member is there to help welcome new residents and people to our fair city. We try to get people involved and feel at home when they move to the area. We try to get out and socialize, and have some fun events. If you plan on moving I would urge you to let us know and we would be more than happy to roll out the red carpet and welcome you to town.

I will not be a fool and tell you there are no downsides to our fair community, the shopping leaves much to be desired, but Fargo and Bismarck are only 100 miles away. We really lack clothing, and a large building materials store (like Home Depot). And of course things can get a little boring especially in winter. But life is what you make of it, if you get out and get involved in activities, there is plenty to do.

Feel free to drop me a line through the private message feature and I would be more thank happy to give you more info, and ideas.

PS, have to assume you will be some how connected to one of the businesses going into the new mall going up by Wal-Mart?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post
Mr Geek,
Coming to you from Jamestown.

Not sure how big of towns you have lived in the past, but Jamestown is your typical smaller Midwest town of 15K (low crime, laid back, quiet, slow paced).

We have a pretty decent selection of restaurants, and so-so for retail. As you have probably found out a new Wally World Super Center is now under construction.

We have an excellent school system with brand spankin new state of the art high school and newly renovated middle school. Lots of great sports facilities to go with them.

We have a lot of available outdoor activities such as boating (large reservoir right on the North side of town), and another about 5 minutes North of town. Great fishing, hunting, bird watching, horse back riding (new trails and camp).

We have a pretty active Chamber of Commerce and a social committee called After 5 (Jamestown After 5 - Home). Our committee of which I am a member is there to help welcome new residents and people to our fair city. We try to get people involved and feel at home when they move to the area. We try to get out and socialize, and have some fun events. If you plan on moving I would urge you to let us know and we would be more than happy to roll out the red carpet and welcome you to town.

I will not be a fool and tell you there are no downsides to our fair community, the shopping leaves much to be desired, but Fargo and Bismarck are only 100 miles away. We really lack clothing, and a large building materials store (like Home Depot). And of course things can get a little boring especially in winter. But life is what you make of it, if you get out and get involved in activities, there is plenty to do.

Feel free to drop me a line through the private message feature and I would be more thank happy to give you more info, and ideas.

PS, have to assume you will be some how connected to one of the businesses going into the new mall going up by Wal-Mart?

Thanks!
Actually, IF I get the job, I will be connected to an already established group..they've been in town for years

I'm not big on shopping, but as long as I've got the bascis, Im a happy camper!!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:54 AM

246 posts, read 1,006,982 times
Jamestown seems like a nice place. And its not too far from a good amount of things as well. I could swing it there. My wife probably couldn't.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:53 PM

It's just me and my dog, George the Beagle.... so I wouldn't have any problem.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 36,115 times
I am a native of Jamestown and I believe it is a great place. Both my parents still live there. If you are interested in renting or buying a home you can contact Dardis Realty (my father's business). I'm a little biased but they do great work and have been in the business for 40+ years.

Hope I was some help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota