Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM

83 posts, read 114,762 times

Advertisements

I've only been here a week so I am not sure about people arriving at a fast rate. I first arrived at Williston a week ago and saw a huge sign at Walmart right at the entrance, clear as day saying "Now Hiring start rate $18/hr". Now at the Walmart in Minot they also had a huge now hiring sign but did not have a start rate but it did say "cashier bonuses" There is a Best Buy here but havent checked them out yet. I saw hiring signs at McDonalds offering a $500 start up bonus, also stopped by a Pizza Ranch buffet with a hiring sign but unsure what the rates are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:58 PM

103 posts, read 198,286 times
sounds amazing. never thought in my entire life i would have to pick which place i want to work in. i just usually take whatever is available when i am looking. i need the walmart pay though. i doubt i will have any problem getting in. i am sure waitresses make more then that an hr in tips though, but we will see. i figured minot might be better for me as i am used to bigger city ammenities. right now i am in a small town in central fl. minot sounds much bigger then that. looks like i will be heading out mid next month. i want to be sure the new van is road ready. thanks so much chael for the useful info.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:52 AM

60 posts, read 156,827 times
DNYGRL,

I will be back in Minot on May 1st. I have already PMd you my cell number. I just had my transfer to Pennsylvania postponed because they cannot find a replacement for me. I will leverage this for a pay increase. My wife is moving back to NC on June 1st and I have been able to rent a basement room for $400.00 a month. Continue to network and you will be surprised at how willing people are to help. Others have made this trek and been where you are now.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 AM

its such a blessing to hear from you ricky. your statement about people willing to help seems so unreal. i am the type of person who will just help anyone at anytime, but the older i get the more i realize me are living in a "me" world. i guess we are just old school. i am excited about leaving soon. i have been working on the van every day, and i just seem to get more and more positive. i think minot is a good choice for me. i will probably have to find some affordable lodging as soonas i get work. i will be traveling with my dog, and i have to be able to keep him cool in thevan while i am at work. at this pointits my only concern. i would like to find someone with a nice backyard with power and water hook-up until winter comes. your statemant that winters arent that bad gave me hope on staying the snowy months. we will see on that issue. its just one dayat a time for me now. i will keep your cell. its so very kind of you to give it to me. tahnks again, you are no doubt a great guy! Danielle

Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 AM

37 posts, read 63,933 times
Minot Wal-Mart is supposedly hiring, and in all areas. There are cheaper apts available as we speak, but those go in a day. Minot actually has some atmosphere atleast vs the bland mud covered burgs you'll definitely see west of Minot. Summers here are hot, but because of the constant in your face wind, nights can be a bit cool.Overnight pkng is severely limited most everywhere, in and out of town.
Williston was a surprise, especially since I've been to other boom towns before, al the way back starting in the 80's.
This place has alot coming in, actually has a real downtown main street, including a JC Penneys.
Amtrak Station is on one end of main, nice place, great off days get out of town point, east or west.
The real local people in this town are friendly and courteous, but reserved as well. Infrastructure wise, this is one location that has made leaps and bounds, considering just 4yrs ago chaos reigned.
I'd highly recommend Williston in the category of "boomtown".

Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 AM

431 posts, read 1,606,228 times
I still see a lot of signs around Minot that is hiring. Have you tried Job Service North Dakota ? You should not be living in a vehicle.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:23 AM

12 posts, read 23,332 times
WalMart, Kmart, Menards and pretty much any restaurant is hiring. WalMart and Menards I think have job fairs once a week. Shouldn't have a problem finding work at all. Best of luck

Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael View Post
I came to Williston from Miami just about a week ago.When I arrived there was a huge blizzard and it was supposed to be spring. I was like wtf is this?? Lol But before I made the road trip, I flew here for the Williston job fair and secured a job with Dish Network as an installation tech for $23/hr. I now live in Minot at a hotel thats doing a special rate for long term stays at $1,400 which is not bad at all when you have a roomate and split that. If you have no money, have a job secured. But if you have a decent amount, then its worth the risk. I see hiring signs everywhere in Minot. The hotel I am staying at is hiring housekeeping for $12/hr and I see a new hotel across the street just opened up I am sure they are still hiring.
well i finally made it here. the traffic is worse then miami! how thing going for you here? Danielle

Old 06-02-2013, 08:14 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
We recently traveled through ND on our journey from Alaska to Michigan, we stayed at the Comfort Inn at Minot for a night. Whilst driving through Williston and Minot we saw signs everywhere for firms hiring and also signs for accommodation, spaces for RV parking start around $750 a month plus electricity. The oil companies are building huge accommodation buildings everywhere but no idea how much they cost.
The receptionist at the hotel asked me about Alaska as she and her boyfriend were thinking of a move there as she said they couldn't afford to live in Minot anymore (this was her hometown). Milk like AK is @ $5 / gallon regular gas was nearly $5/ gal.
My husband had lived in Alaska for many years and remembers the Alaska oil boom which had similar effects, I think the message is don't arrive without a job and accommodation and most importantly make sure you have money to get you home again if it doesn't work out. (In Alaska they call these folks SourDoughs, sour on AK and no Dough to leave, it sounds like ND could have the same problem)

Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 PM

175 posts, read 459,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNYGRL View Post
well i finally made it here. the traffic is worse then miami! how thing going for you here? Danielle
Good luck and congrats on making the move towards a big adventure. You must be talking about S. Broadway for traffic. Yeah it sucks for sure, LOL. I use the bypass to get to the south side of town unless it's late/early in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota