U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 PM
 
9 posts, read 20,466 times
Reputation: 16
Unhappy from ny to north dakota

Does anyone knows anybody who relocated to North Dakota from ny and did they like it there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2007, 12:04 PM
 
25 posts, read 31,372 times
Reputation: 16
I've spent a lot of time in Fargo.

It depends on what you want. The terrain (at least in the eastern part of the state) is flat with very few trees, compared with New York. The weather is very hot in the (shorter than NY) summer and very cold in the winter. The winters are long and ND gets a lot of snow and very low temps. But they've managed things to accommodate the weather.

The ND people are great (nothing wrong with NYers, but the less-frazzled atmosphere in ND is much more conducive to socializing, and in ND your neighbor really IS your neighbor) , and the services (health, etc.) are really good. Taxes are relatively low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 10:02 PM
 
Location: NY
133 posts, read 331,061 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by VITAMINKA View Post
Does anyone knows anybody who relocated to North Dakota from ny and did they like it there?
Are you kidding me? Why would anyone from NY move to ND on purpose. I was stationed there for three years and hated almost every minute of it. The reasons people say they like ND I find pretty generic. Cheap housing, low crime, low taxes. It is true that ND has all three. I don't care though, I will pay high taxes and live in an overpriced house with all the "crazies on the East Coast" as the NoDaks say. For me it's all about location and guess where I don't want to be? Answer: Any place where "sure you betcha" is a common phrase. Overall I feel bad for anyone who is native to this part of the country. Every other NYer I met in ND pretty much said the same thing..."HELP"! The weather is bad, the food is bland, the culture is homogenous, there is literally miles and miles of nothing, the sports market sucks, plane tickets out of Fargo and GF were extremely expensive, whenever I could afford to take leave my plane would always break down in Minneapolis or be late, it also seemed like no one had a clue what was going on in the rest of the world. Those are just some quick reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 PM
 
90 posts, read 209,050 times
Reputation: 49
VITAMINKA,

I've met some terrific people here who more than likely will be answering you shortly. Nodaks have been great to me at this site and have provided me with a wealth of information that I've found to be incredibly useful and extremely positive.

You'll see. They are great people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 AM
 
573 posts, read 591,776 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
Are you kidding me? Why would anyone from NY move to ND on purpose. I was stationed there for three years and hated almost every minute of it. The reasons people say they like ND I find pretty generic. Cheap housing, low crime, low taxes. It is true that ND has all three. I don't care though, I will pay high taxes and live in an overpriced house with all the "crazies on the East Coast" as the NoDaks say. For me it's all about location and guess where I don't want to be? Answer: Any place where "sure you betcha" is a common phrase. Overall I feel bad for anyone who is native to this part of the country. Every other NYer I met in ND pretty much said the same thing..."HELP"! The weather is bad, the food is bland, the culture is homogenous, there is literally miles and miles of nothing, the sports market sucks, plane tickets out of Fargo and GF were extremely expensive, whenever I could afford to take leave my plane would always break down in Minneapolis or be late, it also seemed like no one had a clue what was going on in the rest of the world. Those are just some quick reasons.
Well, that's nice. There are many more *valid* reasons for moving from anywhere to ND. And here are some: 1. The housing market here hasn't taken a hit like the housing market in, oh say, the rest of the United States. Home values here are actually increasing. 2. It's a growing economy-- there is a new oil pipline being installed in western ND, so the oil executives are moving here. There are new jobs everywhere, and most places here have a professional shortage. There is also a new Autism clinic opening at Minot State. There is a rumor that the base is going to reopen another B-52 squadron. 3. There is much more to do here, than meets the eye. There is decent Walleye fishing, great camping, awesome water sports activities (there is the biggest manmade freshwater lake in the country between Minot and Bismarck. If you want a slower lifestyle, cheaper living, you enjoy winters, don't mind finding creative things to do, and enjoy friendly welcoming people-- come to ND.

And PP whom I quoted, you may not like North Dakota, but please do not insult the intelligence of the nearly 200,000+ residents. I'm an implant, we are military too and this post makes all of us military personnel look poorly. The vast majority of personnel stationed in ND REQUEST it, and of those who do request it, many end up being stationed here for 10 years or more. I also have to say, in the thirty years I have lived in the upper midwest (I was born in Minneapolis), I have NEVER heard "yeah, sure, you betcha," except in the movie Fargo which did it's best to dumb down every single last resident from Williston to Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 AM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,496 posts, read 24,166,681 times
Reputation: 14802
Good post, JOJO.

Moderator cut: I'd just like everyone to know that I have a very good memory of people and some of their previous posts. I highly frown on members who trash other areas of the country just in order to start arguments. Just a fair warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
 
Location: NY
133 posts, read 331,061 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Good post, JOJO.

Moderator cut: I'd just like everyone to know that I have a very good memory of people and some of their previous posts. I highly frown on members who trash other areas of the country just in order to start arguments. Just a fair warning.
Just to let the mod know I am not starting arguments with anyone on here. All I did was answer the OP's question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 12:50 PM
 
Location: NY
133 posts, read 331,061 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
Well, that's nice. There are many more *valid* reasons for moving from anywhere to ND. And here are some: 1. The housing market here hasn't taken a hit like the housing market in, oh say, the rest of the United States. Home values here are actually increasing. 2. It's a growing economy-- there is a new oil pipline being installed in western ND, so the oil executives are moving here. There are new jobs everywhere, and most places here have a professional shortage. There is also a new Autism clinic opening at Minot State. There is a rumor that the base is going to reopen another B-52 squadron. 3. There is much more to do here, than meets the eye. There is decent Walleye fishing, great camping, awesome water sports activities (there is the biggest manmade freshwater lake in the country between Minot and Bismarck. If you want a slower lifestyle, cheaper living, you enjoy winters, don't mind finding creative things to do, and enjoy friendly welcoming people-- come to ND.

And PP whom I quoted, you may not like North Dakota, but please do not insult the intelligence of the nearly 200,000+ residents. I'm an implant, we are military too and this post makes all of us military personnel look poorly. The vast majority of personnel stationed in ND REQUEST it, and of those who do request it, many end up being stationed here for 10 years or more. I also have to say, in the thirty years I have lived in the upper midwest (I was born in Minneapolis), I have NEVER heard "yeah, sure, you betcha," except in the movie Fargo which did it's best to dumb down every single last resident from Williston to Minneapolis.
First off, the original poster asked a fair question, "Has anyone from New York moved to ND, if so what was your opinion"? Don't try and skew my words to make me look like a bully. I was answering the guy's question. Please feel free to come to a New York forum and say what you think about our governor, our high taxes, or our high property values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 01:20 PM
 
573 posts, read 591,776 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
First off, the original poster asked a fair question, "Has anyone from New York moved to ND, if so what was your opinion"? Don't try and skew my words to make me look like a bully. I was answering the guy's question. Please feel free to come to a New York forum and say what you think about our governor, our high taxes, or our high property values.
I don't have an opinion about NY, as I have never been there, and based on your post, I would rather go to hell than go some where, where the residents think it's OK to embarass or berate people based solely because they decided to live in ND.

Let me give you a piece of advice, take it or leave it... If you come on a board and state you are/were/ever have been in the military, you are representing about 10 million military members and their families. I don't appreciate how you represented yourself as a member of the armed forces, then proceeded to insult the residents of an entire state. And yes it is insulting and rude to tell someone not to move to anywhere in the United States, where you hear the phrase, "ya sure you betcha." Because as I said in an earlier post-- I have lived in the upper midwest for over 30 years, and I have not heard that phrase uttered once, other than a passing joke about a horrible movie. Furthermore, 99.9% of ND have welcomed us with open arms and hearts. I have nothing but nice things to say about the residents of this state. We are leaving in four short months, and I will thoroughly miss it (except for the -30 ambient temperature-- y'all can keep that stuff).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM
 
107 posts, read 305,716 times
Reputation: 53
Well you guys are just feeding into this guy who clearly wanted to get some people irate. and as far as the phrase mentioned it is more properly "Ya you betchya!" I used to hear it more before the Fargo came out, and yes I and several ND'ers are able to find humor in a movie even if it pokes fun at us a bit. If you travel around to some certain smaller towns I promise you will still run into that phrase, or for that matter if you get to Kroll's eary enough in the morning you will hear some old timers say it. Does that mean ND is a bad place? If the worst thing ND has going for it is the phrase "Ya you betchya!" then the state should be flooded with people moving here any moment. To say that a corny phrase is a good enough reason to hate it is absurd, and if it were directed at a non-white minority it would be called racist. Should we say that the south is evil because they use the phrase "y'all" or say "eats" instead of food. I don't think so. Let this guy tell his stories cause personally I would like to see ND stay under 1Million residents and thats why when I was in the Army and people asked me what there was to do in a crap hole like ND I would say "nothing, don't move there, don't even visit there" cause I don't want people like that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top