Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 AM

18 posts, read 163,026 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving to North Dakota, but on the skeptical side, being that we don't know if North Dakota is gay friendly. I noticed there's a Pride Fest, however that doesn't mean our child won't get harrassed. Any help??

Old 03-22-2008, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 39,230 times
I live in Grand Forks. Our University here, UND, has a 10% Gay/Lesbian Society. They do alot of great things. In general, I think North Dakotan's are pretty conservative people, however, many, including myself are very open and inviting. I hope this helps a little.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwittleZ View Post
My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving to North Dakota, but on the skeptical side, being that we don't know if North Dakota is gay friendly. I noticed there's a Pride Fest, however that doesn't mean our child won't get harrassed. Any help??
What city are you moving to? Bismarck and Fargo each have their own independent pride festivals. If you are looking at Bismarck there is a pretty decent amount of info I could give you. My (ex)boyfriend and I had moved to Bismarck from the Minneapolis area (well I was moving back, it was his first time there). The people were very accepting (surprisingly!). We made tons of friends, both gay and straight, and it was just never an issue. The pride in Bismarck is a 3 day event. This year it will be held July 25-27, and the theme is "Live,Love,Be." Bismarck is also home to the largest drag shows in ND. Most are held at the Ramkota Hotel and and attended by numerous people from across the state, both gay and straight. Dakota Good Friends of Bismarck holds monthly social events at various locations throughout the cities of Bismarck and Mandan. Profits from those events benefit the annual pride. The upcoming "Dakota Divas in Drag" beauty contest is being sponsored by the local Subaru dealership, just to show the community gets involved and supports the community in the Bismarck area. For more information I've included the following link:
Dakota OutRight - Home

Old 03-22-2008, 08:24 PM

18 posts, read 163,026 times
Thank you so much for your input! We'll have to take a trip up there in the summer time and check it out. We're pretty excited about it! As of right now, we're not sure on what part of the state we want to focus on, but you've given us things to think about! Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2008, 10:10 PM

180 posts, read 634,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
The pride in Bismarck is a 3 day event. This year it will be held July 25-27, and the theme is "Live,Love,Be."
Dakota OutRight - Home
That is absolutly awesome.

From what I can tell, the event is on the ND state capital grounds. Is that really true?

Old 03-22-2008, 10:23 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post

From what I can tell, the event is on the ND state capital grounds. Is that really true?
It's held in various public parks throughout both the cities of Bismarck and Mandan. When I attended in 2006 it was held at Eagles Park North of Bismarck. Nearly everybody attending stayed over night on the camp ground, it was SO much fun! It was great having GLBT people from all over the state in one spot, and many of our straight friends were there partying it up with us and supporting the cause. There is a drag show, karaoke contests, church services on Sunday, local and statewide band shows, food and drinks, nightly dances, numerous information booths (HIV, GLBT acceptance and tolerance info, safe sex, etc...). The Bismarck Tribune has been covering upcoming events for Dakota OutRight for the last couple years, so more than likely a story will be published when the date nears. Check it out, it's a great, mind opening experience!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:43 AM

2 posts, read 26,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post

I can tell you that this is a truly great event. I am not a member of the gay comunity, however I do promote this event every year and am friends of the people that put this on. You would be greatly inclined to attend and check out what Bismarck has to offer. Our community is very accepting to all walks of life. I would suggest giving me a quick email and letting me know what you think. my email address is nick.friedt@bismarcktribune.com, Enjoy what we have to offer. Any questions? Call me!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 AM

103 posts, read 706,368 times
Cwittlez. You have jerks in every city in the US who think they are the moral police. You here about gay bashing taking place even in cities that are very accepting of their gay communities. I did not know Bismarck-Mandan had such an active gay community. I think this is wonderful!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:28 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,535 times
Interesting comments. I grew up in North Dakota and if I were gay, I would not want to live there or be gay and raise a child there. Having said that, I wish you well. I know their are alot friendlier gay states like Washington and Oregon and California.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 PM

22 posts, read 45,025 times
I have to agree, my son had learning disabilities and the kids there drove him to a suicial state just because he counldn't read. Plus, I recall a man in a bar once going on a tangent because he just found out his daughter was gay. But as in everywhere, there are open-minded, non-judgmentals and then there are jerks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota