Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 03:19 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,581 times

Advertisements

Could all ya'll locals (& visitors too! ) please list detailed differences between Bismarck & Fargo?
Thank you much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:51 AM

139 posts, read 470,647 times
I've never lived in either city, but I have visited both extensively.

-Both cities are on rivers, Bismarck on the Missouri, and Fargo lies on the Red.

-Fargo is nearly double the size of Bismarck, 100,000 to 55,000.

-Both are beautiful cities in my opinion, but as far as rural scenery and outdoor attractions, Bismarck is the best bet.

-Bismarck is a bit more "mild" climate-wise, especially in the winter. "Mild" by North Dakota standards doesn't mean a whole lot though. Summer in Fargo is more humid but the temps don't differ too much that time of year. Bismarck averages about 84 degrees in the summer compared to 83 in Fargo.

-Fargo is home to ND state university, so several businesses in town might cater more to students. As opposed to Bismarck where you have the small campuses of University of Mary and Bismarck state, whose student populations only total about 5,000 students combined.

That's about all that comes to mind as of now, i'm sure someone will add to what I have, hope this helps somewhat.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:15 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,581 times
It does help! Thanks!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:50 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,680 times
Fargo is closer to a big city, Minneapolis. Bismarck is long drive to any big city. Bismarck is warmer usually year round, Fargo is a bit more humid in the summer, Fargo also usually has a snowpack that lasts long longer.

Fargo is a big college town, there are probably 20,000+ college kids and that brings with it more concerts and other things geared toward that demographic.

I think the Metro of Bismarck is around 100k and Fargo is around 200k.

Both cities are very safe, have good schools, nice parks, and are growing.

Both also have minor league teams(hockey and basketball in Bismarck, baseball and hockey in Fargo). Fargo is also home to NDSU, which has a DI sports program. Bison football is a pretty big deal during the fall.

Fargo might have a better arts seen. Bismarck is probably a little more visually appealing.

Both are close to recreation on the water during the summer months. Bismarck has the Missouri river and lakes country in Minnesota is a little under an hour drive from Fargo.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:14 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
Just a note...I pretty much agree with the 2 posts so far... Bismarck is along the Missouri river and it is developed quite well for recreation with the sandbars, boating, walking-biking paths, and parks all along the river as it flows throw Bismarck-Mandan. To the north about 45 minutes, you hit the big lake Sakakawea, and to the South about 30 minutes, you hit Lake Oahe (both are the Missouri river dammed up) Oahe goes south into South Dakota, and Sakakwea stretches from Garrison, all the way up to Williston. Both are beautiful recreational lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota