Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 AM

11 posts, read 41,614 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a quiet ND community that is drenched with natural surroundings, people that welcome newcomers, a diverse population, and peace and quiet. When I've visited ND, it offered beautiful lakes that oozed serenity. It will need someplace reasonable to rent.

Stays in Fargo show it is a great place, with friendly people and a diverse population, but too new & fast paced, if that makes sense. I've limited myself to Bismarck & Grand Forks, as both offer so much of what I'm looking for, but realize I might be selling ND short.

I'm interested in your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 AM

Some of you provided great information about Bismarck and Grand Forks which got me thinking. Then, I started reading threads about New Town and Oake. Before long, I'm learning more about smaller communities in ND than I imagined. But, stats don't begin to tell the human view.

So, here's what I'm hoping to find - friendly folks, diverse population, nature, peace, tranquility, smaller community. Work goes where I do, I'm used to the cold, but heat (over 80 long term) is a killer. As far as recs and leisure - walks in nature with a source of water a big bonus, making/donating quilts for young children, and simplicity.

I'm heading out soon. Any other possibilities I should consider before making the move?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:23 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,965 times
If you're thinking small towns, check out Lisbon and the Fort Ransom/Sheyenne Grasslands area.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
If I were you I would look at some of the smaller towns in Northern Minnesota. If you're a big fan of lakes (ice fishing!) and all things green( ND shelter belts don't count) you would be wise to look towards MN first.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:06 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyC View Post
I'm looking for a quiet ND community that is drenched with natural surroundings, people that welcome newcomers, a diverse population, and peace and quiet. When I've visited ND, it offered beautiful lakes that oozed serenity. It will need someplace reasonable to rent.

Stays in Fargo show it is a great place, with friendly people and a diverse population, but too new & fast paced, if that makes sense. I've limited myself to Bismarck & Grand Forks, as both offer so much of what I'm looking for, but realize I might be selling ND short.

I'm interested in your thoughts.
Hi

You pose a hard question to answer. Problem is the smaller the town the harder it is to find rentals in many cases. But there are many smaller towns/cities (5-15,000 pop) that are nice. One that is closest to your criteria might be Bottineau ND as it is close to Lake Metagoshie in the Turtle Mountains. While Bottineau is nothing spectacular in itself...it is a short drive up into the Turtle Mountains where the scenery is greatly different (lots of trees and hills) and the lake is a very nice area. Lots of people camp there in the summer though or have lake cabins...but there are quiet areas too. I have been up there a few times as I have relatives in Bottineau. Bottineau also has a small state university.

The far southwest part of the state has places like Medora which offer great scenery (way different than the rest of the state) but lakes are few in that part.

As roundball mentioned....there are many lake communities in Minnesota. I have always liked the Bemidji area. That town is growing some....but also has a university and Lake Bemidji is right there.

Some food for thought. You might just have to move up here and see how you like it and then over time visit other areas before you find your dream spot.

Dan

Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 AM

dutchmind, roundball, & DaninEGF -
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I lived in Minnesota for 5 years and dearly love the state. I considered going back to the Boundary Waters area and continue to do so. It shows your suggestions are going to be in keeping with my dreams.

Perhaps the greatest thing about ND Mother Nature's ability to provide something for everyone. From the Badlands to the Red River Valley, ND has it all - mountains, flatland, prairies, hills, and lakes. Well, I think it's time to put the car in gear and travel. I can't wait to see where the adventure takes me.

Again, my deepest thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota