Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:26 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,536,012 times

Advertisements

We went to see yet another house this time in West Pittston. Cute little town. At first we loved it.
Pretty house.
VERY BAD EXPERIENCE
While we waited to meet the agent - who was cold and nasty on the phone we parked my late model Nissan SUV - with NY plates and an old "Obama" sticker on the real window, also a permit that read "Sony Brook University Staff/ Faculty 2020-14" - in front.
The car is very neat and clean.
I would like to think - so are we. We are white -WASPS - our brother in law was with us and he is Jewish. One of our kids is Asian. the other WASP
We did not approach the house.
While we waited for this broker, a West Pittston police cruiser came by - twice in 20 minutes,slowed, looked at us and sped up.
We awaited the broker.
He showed us the house and told us that the seller really "had someone from the area in mind"
We were in SHOCK!
Said very little and left. We were polite.
We began to drive back to Wilkes Barre, when a pick up truck tried to force his way between us and another car ahead of us. We had already let one car merge. This guy was more than insistent - he was down right menacing! On Wyoming Ave.
I said something to DH who said of course - that I was being "paranoid".
Finally this bully passed us ON the RIGHT - and we noticed that his car was decorated with anti Obama stickers.
Sadly, the rear of his truck was flanked with 2 American flags,,,
DH no longer thinks that I was being paranoid.
SAD.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
a West Pittston police cruiser came by - twice in 20 minutes,slowed, looked at us and sped up.
Say want you want but the crime rate in West Pittston is practically non existent.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:51 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,784,442 times
Quote:
We went to see yet another house this time in West Pittston. Cute little town. At first we loved it.
Pretty house.
VERY BAD EXPERIENCE
While we waited to meet the agent - who was cold and nasty on the phone we parked my late model Nissan SUV - with NY plates and an old "Obama" sticker on the real window, also a permit that read "Sony Brook University Staff/ Faculty 2020-14" - in front.
The car is very neat and clean.
I would like to think - so are we. We are white -WASPS - our brother in law was with us and he is Jewish. One of our kids is Asian. the other WASP
We did not approach the house.
While we waited for this broker, a West Pittston police cruiser came by - twice in 20 minutes,slowed, looked at us and sped up.
We awaited the broker.
He showed us the house and told us that the seller really "had someone from the area in mind"
We were in SHOCK!
Said very little and left. We were polite.
We began to drive back to Wilkes Barre, when a pick up truck tried to force his way between us and another car ahead of us. We had already let one car merge. This guy was more than insistent - he was down right menacing! On Wyoming Ave.
I said something to DH who said of course - that I was being "paranoid".
Finally this bully passed us ON the RIGHT - and we noticed that his car was decorated with anti Obama stickers.
Sadly, the rear of his truck was flanked with 2 American flags,,,
DH no longer thinks that I was being paranoid.
SAD.
That's horrible, sorry you had that experience

Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Thank you Sue. A very disturbing experience.

Coalman - amd your point is? People from NY who voted for the President of the United States a few years ago are likely to be criminals?

People who adopt children od another race should not be trusted?

Silver Nissan SUVs spell trouble in West Pittston?

Watch out if you are a non - Catholic in this perfect little town?

Woe to Jews in West Pittsron?????

Old 06-21-2010, 05:43 PM

273 posts, read 957,947 times
FWIW NEPA voted for Obama and is heavily Democrat. I don't know about West Pittston. There are nuts and bad/dumb RE agents everywhere.

The car-truck incident may be unrelated. There are bad drivers and road ragers everywhere too.

Is your BIL visibly Jewish? Did you have a 'I'm not Catholic' sticker on?

Oh, and I think it is sad that you viewed the American flags negatively.

If you really like the house make an offer.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,784,442 times
Quote:
Thank you Sue. A very disturbing experience.

Coalman - amd your point is? People from NY who voted for the President of the United States a few years ago are likely to be criminals?

People who adopt children od another race should not be trusted?

Silver Nissan SUVs spell trouble in West Pittston?

Watch out if you are a non - Catholic in this perfect little town?

Woe to Jews in West Pittsron?????
I spent the first 13 yrs of my life in Riverdale, NYC, which back then was mostly Jewish, i'm not sure now. I think they are the best people, my friends were jewish, all my family's friends were jewish, couldn't find nicer, warmer people.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:04 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,965,613 times
Sheena, you said the agent was "cold and nasty on the phone"...I can't imagine that you related your adopted Asian child's origin, or your BIL's religion, or who you voted for in the '08 election. Therefore, I think it was the agent's flaw and nothing against you, personally.

As far as the police cruiser checking you out, that's the kind of thing that goes on in every small town in the area. And I feel better for it, and grateful knowing that the officer is on the job and not hanging out in a doughnut shop. And if and when you do relocate here, you'll be glad to see the cruiser on a regular basis.

Now, as to the a$$hat who gave you trouble on the Ave., I make no apology for that kind of behavior. But I do say that you can find that sort of foolishness in Anytown, USA. I had one behind me yesterday who blasted the horn at me at a stop sign because my foot wasn't on the gas quite fast enough for her liking.

I don't excuse rudeness. I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience. I hope you'll get past it and find a place that is as welcoming as you'd like.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM

OK I an FROM a very small town. Check city data stats on Oyster Bay NY
I was born in a hospital in NYC but other than visiting NYC my connection end there.

Riverdale is lovely. Still is. My Episcopalian grandma had a house thee and there were many Jewish friends and neighbors. She sold the house when she became too old to maintain it.

hmmm does my brother- in-law LOOK JEWISH?????
OK hold on here...

He SOUNDS a bit like Woody Allen when he speaks. (I DO NOT CONDONE Mr. Allen's antics with his step daughter - AT ALL)

He did not have a favorable conversation with this guy over the phone. But did not really complain.
As far as "looking Jewish" I am not a member of the SS, nor am I particularly good at defining racial or ethnic heritage.
He dies not wear a yarmulka and was not dressed as a Hassidic Jew or anything like that.
Yet I would say that most people who meet him when asked to venture a guess about his heritage would say "Eastern European Jewish" as opposed to say Scandinavian or Italian.

so how does that affect what occurred?

My daughter is Asian - no doubt about it.

Do not be sarcastic or think that I am misreading things - what happened happened.

As far as the fact that we are bot Catholic - there would obviously be no way to know that but our last names are not typical for Catholic people = and he knew them.

The guy in the truck? No doubt about it he was angry at us for ...um not agreeing with his far right politics in ...ummm America.

I never had an incident like this in any other part of NEPA so I really do not had such an hope that I never do again.

I hope that it happens to no one else either!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 PM

273 posts, read 957,947 times
Quote:
hmmm does my brother- in-law LOOK JEWISH?????
OK hold on here...

He SOUNDS a bit like Woody Allen when he speaks. (I DO NOT CONDONE Mr. Allen's antics with his step daughter - AT ALL)

He did not have a favorable conversation with this guy over the phone. But did not really complain.
As far as "looking Jewish" I am not a member of the SS, nor am I particularly good at defining racial or ethnic heritage.
He dies not wear a yarmulka and was not dressed as a Hassidic Jew or anything like that.
Yet I would say that most people who meet him when asked to venture a guess about his heritage would say "Eastern European Jewish" as opposed to say Scandinavian or Italian.

so how does that affect what occurred?
Uh, sorry. You are the one who introduced BIL's ethnicity as something that might have contributed to the 'incident'. Based on your description, his ethnicity doesn't sound as much a contribution as (possibly) the chat he had with the RE agent before you met.

Some might infer your post implied some negative generalizations about a group of people, namely West Pittstonians(?).

Maybe that wasn't what you intended...I repeat if you like the house make an offer.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM

As I posted - HE WILL NOT TAKE AN OFFER!

HE SAID SHE - THE OWNER did NOT WANT TO SELL TO STRANGERS or OUTSIDERS<

Period.

I do not have a great taste in my mouth about West Pittston after what occured that is true.

But I am sure that there are a number of fair minded and open people of different backgrounds who call this pretty spot home.

What if a black couple with PA plates -or NY plates had the same experience?

No we are not Black but we certainly do npt fit the West Pittston demographic.

BTW I can't see myself bothering my county police force because a carful of out of state people started looking at the house for sale on the corner.

I would just think that they were looking at the house for sale on the corner.

There was no excuse for this.

And the agent would NOT TAKE AN OFFER FROM US! although we are MORE than qualified to afford that home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania