Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
If you can't see that tailgating someone is dangerous, then i give up, because you're just not getting it.

Same here....off to watch SVU with the hubby....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,918,101 times
Quote:
If you can't see that tailgating someone is dangerous, then i give up, because you're just not getting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You both are a hoot as I've never stated tailgating somebody isn't dangerous. Doesn't say much about your argument when you have to put words into other's mouths/make wild unfounded assumptions and ignore certain key points being made that have been stated numerous times with no response. Apparently you don't get it and refuse to take a look at everything involved.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
You both are a hoot as I've never stated tailgating somebody isn't dangerous. Doesn't say much about your argument when you have to put words into other's mouths/make wild unfounded assumptions and ignore certain key points being made that have been stated numerous times with no response. Apparently you don't get it and refuse to take a look at everything involved.
Group hug time?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,918,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Group hug time?
I like hugs!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:06 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,782,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Group hug time?
lolol

Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Let's say someone is in the left lane driving 75 mph, there is always someone up their ass tailgating, then moving them over and then they speed it up going at least 80, 85, it happens all the time.
You can have two idiots in this situation and who is the problem depends on conditions. Whether you are going 55, 75 or 100 again you shouldn't be in the left lane unless you're passing when traffic is light. Once you get into heavier traffic where you have a significant amount of cars traveling slower in the right lane then loitering in the passing lane is the better alternative however you should be keeping up with the flow of traffic in front of you.

This is where the mandated speed limits present a problem, 55 is not the safe speed limit. Whatever the flow of traffic is moving at is the safe speed. Suppose the speed limit is 55 and th right lane is moving along at 50 and the left lane is moving along at 60. If you have someone move into the passing lane going 55 they disrupt the flow of traffic and that is where your accidents occur. Just the other day I was on 380 during rush hour and some elderly man was traveling about 45 in the right lane with his blinkers on. You could see all kinds of havoc going on approaching his vehicle

Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,782,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can have two idiots in this situation and who is the problem depends on conditions. Whether you are going 55, 75 or 100 again you shouldn't be in the left lane unless you're passing when traffic is light. Once you get into heavier traffic where you have a significant amount of cars traveling slower in the right lane then loitering in the passing lane is the better alternative however you should be keeping up with the flow of traffic in front of you.

This is where the mandated speed limits present a problem, 55 is not the safe speed limit. Whatever the flow of traffic is moving at is the safe speed. Suppose the speed limit is 55 and th right lane is moving along at 50 and the left lane is moving along at 60. If you have someone move into the passing lane going 55 they disrupt the flow of traffic and that is where your accidents occur. Just the other day I was on 380 during rush hour and some elderly man was traveling about 45 in the right lane with his blinkers on. You could see all kinds of havoc going on approaching his vehicle
I agree with you, but my gripe is let's say cars are in the left lane and they are going 70 mph, you always have that one car that is tailgating trying to hurry them up, so they move over and the jackass speeds it up to 80, i see it all the time.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:51 PM

436 posts, read 954,733 times
I look at this more from a fuel efficiency standpoint. People who speed waste gas, which causes the consumption to increase. It's not surprising that the impatient, hurry up and go now people are unwilling to conserve in this country though. I'm not going to willfully waste gas just to keep up with the herd of sheep. I'll go 60 in a 55, set the cruise, and just roll from there. If that isn't fast enough, tough ****. Go around and don't tailgate me.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, but my gripe is let's say cars are in the left lane and they are going 70 mph, you always have that one car that is tailgating trying to hurry them up, so they move over and the jackass speeds it up to 80, i see it all the time.
Like I said, if you have a lot of traffic then he's the idiot. If there is no traffic then they are both idiots.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
I'll go 60 in a 55, set the cruise, and just roll from there.
Everyone has their own speed they are comfortable at, one thing I would suggest when using cruise is to speed it up a little when passing traffic going just a little bit slower than yourself. Don't go 3 miles to pass one car that is going 1 MPH less than you. This is another area where mandated speed limits can produce problems. You might have the driver in the passing lane that won't break the speed limit to pass someone quickly going just a little bit slower. You're "speeding" but it's a safe driving habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania