Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times

Advertisements

Im a huge fishing fan, although Ive been up here for 20 yrs Ive never been Ice Fishing .. anyone have any Hints or tricks to share , As I'll be bringing my young daughters with me ,,

I have NO Ice fishing gear , Is it worth buying a power auger ? Or will a Long drill bit and cordless drill and hammer work just the same ?

what about wind breaks ? I seen a guy with what looked like a tent set up on Lake Wallenpaupack last yr .

Any info would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
I'll pick my partners brain for you, that is his area. I haven't ice fished since we sold our ice shanty on Lake Champlain years ago...

Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Riverside4ever,
You can just use a chainsaw. You do not need a special ice auger. The tip-ups are available at most sporting good stores.

I am sure that somebody will get back to you with more information. I have not gone for many, many years.

It used to be a drinking sport. People would have their little huts and a case of beer (or two). They do make the huts and hut heaters.

You might want to go slow; to see how you like it. Get the tip ups and some minnows and see what happens.

Good luck

Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,276 times
No power auger or chain saw needed - IMO huge waste of money unless you plan to drill a hundred holes. Some guys also use vexilar sonar devices (fish finders) that cost mucho bucks..

There are high quality hand augers that can be purchased for under $100 most come with 6 or 8 in blades. They do a very quick job of drilling a perfect hole.

You can use a spud bar (iron bar with chisel end ) or hatchet if the ice is less than 12" thick - but after a few holes you will probably wish you didn't try - and you will leave jagged edges of ice that may cut your line if you get a big fish on.

Tip -ups sell for anywhere from $10 to $25 depending on type and style.
A small ice fishing jigging rod & reel; can be had for $25.
I think the fishingregs allow you up to 5 tipups at a time.

Minnows, grubs,****, small spoons are the most comon offerings lowered thru the ice.

You need to find the proper depth at which the fish are holding. Usually start off a foot or two from bottom and raise it till you get action - or move to another hole. Depth finders ($1) are weights attached to a clip that you attach to your hook and lower till you hit bottom. Then mark your line by attaching a button or small marker to it so you know where the bottom is when setting up the bait.

You don't need a shelter if you you pick a windless sunny day. Matter of fact, you will get quite a tan from the sun's reflection off the ice. Most of the shelters are inhabitated by the hard-core, all-night, beer drinkin, sausage munchin crowd..

Slotted spoon- to clear the ice/slush from the holes occaisionally, it beats dunking uour hand - buy one at Walmart or steal one from your wife's kitchen utensil drawer...

Safety first - go out on ice that is at least 4" thick. I wait till it is at least 6" or 8". Drill check holes near shore and continue to drill as you progress out from shore to check ice conditions.

Be aware of areas near dams, or small streams that flow into the lake - the ice is always thinner when moving water is under it.

Black or clear ice is strong. White frosty looking ice not so strong.

But a pair of spikes $4 that look like oversized corn cob holders attached to each other by a length of string to wear around your neck - in case you fall through you use them to poke into the ice so you can pull yourself out of the water. (you can easily make a pair from section of broomstick and nails).

I also suggest you buy a set of inexpensive studs or cleats that attach to your boots to provide traction.

Don't go ice fishing alone if you can help it.

If you want tons of information google Pa Ice Fishing and there are a number of forums that will spell everything out.

Like anything else, you can spend alot of money if you want to. But I think you can get set up pretty good for around $200 - including a hand auger.
Hopefully you have one of them old plastic sleds in you cellar/shed to haul all of your stuff out on the ice (that will save you another $10) .

Last edited by varmintblaster; 11-08-2010 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Thanks for all the advice ,, I'll look a little deeper into it ..

I think we may try it this winter now that the kids are close to 10 yrs old

Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
My husband's friend ice fishes every year. I can ask him, if you'd like. Let me know!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:33 PM

923 posts, read 3,095,071 times
Riverside4ever - I live at Lake Winola there are LOTS of holes left by fishermen. Why not take a ride to L.W. drop your line in an open hole ...

Old 11-16-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
Riverside4ever - I live at Lake Winola there are LOTS of holes left by fishermen. Why not take a ride to L.W. drop your line in an open hole ...

Really too far of a ride for me ..

I'll start out On White Oak lake , Prompton lake and Long Pond lake , also Millers pond ..

They are all Local and I can be at either within 10 min

Old 11-16-2010, 06:34 AM

My daughters are real excited about going Ice fishing , I get The ""Daddy when will the lake freeze ? "" every few days ..

Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 PM

224 posts, read 228,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
My daughters are real excited about going Ice fishing , I get The ""Daddy when will the lake freeze ? "" every few days ..
I used to take my daughter and my niece when they were about your gal's age...lucky for me the lake was only ten minutes away becauase they got real bored if we didn't get any fish within the first 5 minutes...
As far as a shelter, if you are in a spot with a strong Northwest wind bring along a tarp as a wind break...if there is snow on the ice, shovel up mound of snow
The best spot on the lake I went to was full of schooling yellow perch...from that icy water they were excellent table fare.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania