Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:38 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
they had all that and more---missing those well run older stores complete with soda fountains,and CUSTOMER SERVICE
Amen to that! I worked in Customer Service for a few years, including at a little place called Sugerman's Back then we believed in helping the customer no matter what, and that wasn't even that long ago.

These days you can walk through a store even on a slow day and not have a single clerk ask if you need help. And it's not just the young workers either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:13 PM

923 posts, read 3,095,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
When I first moved to Scranton in 1968, I didn't drive, and I would take the bus from Green Ridge to town and visit the Globe Store. Whatever I shopped for, I could find there, but I never left the store without purchasing AnnaClaires in the candy department. (You could also shop the Scranton Dry Goods across the street) Then up Lackawanna Ave to the dime store, (was it Woolworth's?), then before boarding the bus, around the back of the Globe to the M & M Sandwich shop to pick up a hoagie to take home. They knew how to make a sub. Good times.
Yes, there was Woolworths and Kresges, my father would take us kids to Kresge's for -the best hotdogs w/everything and draft rootbeer- while my mother shopped the Globe Store !!! Memories are great !!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:38 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
I year or two ago people were criticizing Boscov's in Wilkes-Barre for not upgrading and modernizing. I think that would be the worse thing that can happen. The very charm of Boscov's Wilkes-Barre is that it is old fashioned. It's like stepping back in time when you walk through the doors, but it's the real deal. Many stores spend millions trying to give their store a vintage/old fashioned feeling. You can go to Boscov's shop all four floors, get a hair cut, stop and the candy/fudge shop, grab lunch at the diner in the basement...you could spend the whole day there. There is never a large line to wait in. I would be disappointed if they ever modernized it.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Does Your City Still Have A Large Downtown Department Store?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:27 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
I only went to the Globe Store a few times as a child but thought it was the most glamorous place I had ever been to .

Now you've inspired me to visit the Wilkes-Barre Boscov's next time I'm passing through the area!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:53 PM

34 posts, read 101,047 times
You can shop all around the Globe and never leave Scranton. I remember the commercial from when I was a kid.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:10 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
Went there just once to buy Guns and Roses concert tickets.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 AM

90 posts, read 248,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
What I remember most is going there as a kid to see Santa....I can't quite remember all of it, but I think they had some sort of Santa's village set up.
Yup, if you went to the top floor... 3rd or 4th?... around Christmas time, they'd open up an extra floor, accessible only by stairs from the top floor that was all decorated, filled with toys, and Santa. Used to look forward to that every year back in the early 80's.

I also remember there being a basement to the Globe, where they had all sorts of discounts/last chance deals... or am I imagining?

I definately remember the Woolworth's down the block had a downstairs, and that's where their toy dept. was.

Also remember my mom dragging me into John's Bargain Store, and the shops at The Ritz.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezbowski View Post
I also remember there being a basement to the Globe, where they had all sorts of discounts/last chance deals... or am I imagining?
Nope, not imagining it. I remember going there with my grandmother and two great aunts so they could look for deals on shoes.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:38 PM

24 posts, read 70,076 times
I loved the Globe store and I loved that they were open late at Christmas. It's too bad they couldn't make it. I also loved the restaurant but I don't think it was owned by the Globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania