Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times

Advertisements

It's March, which is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, and once again, I urge everyone to consider colonoscopy based on age and risk factors. You are at risk if you are over 50, or have an immediate family member who has the disease.

Colon and rectal cancers are the most frequently diagnosed cancers in Northeast Pennsylvania. Incidence and mortality rates are about 17% higher than the U.S. average. Ongoing research into the reasons for this disparity thus far is not definitive, but regardless of causality, early diagnosis is important and makes the disease highly curable.

I am a colon cancer survivor, currently two years out. I had surgery to remove my ascending colon, about 1/3 of my entire colon, along with a 7.3cg tumor. I did not have a colostomy, (a bag), although I do have a rather strange scar from the incision. It looks like I have three navels. LOL My surgery was followed by six months of oral chemotherapy. I currently live in my own home, do my own shopping, go to my doctor appointments by myself. I mow my own lawn. I function as well as any, and better than most, women my age.

I consider myself fortunate to be here posting about this, and I'd be pleased to know that even one person heeds my advice and gets it done. Colonoscopy isn't nearly as bad as you think, and compared to having cancer, it's a walk in the park. Or a piece of cake. Or a day at the beach.

Call your doctor. Get the appointment. DM me if you need personal encouragement. But please, don't let your tombstone read, I Died of Embarrassment.

MODS: Please don't move this post. It distinctly pertains to NEPA.TY

Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Well, not really NEPA, but it's certainly a good idea to have the test. Locked to keep the post visible, but no reason for more off-topic for the forum commenting.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania